It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• why am i not losing weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
    ali_juarez09
    (female)

ali_juarez09 HB User
    why am i not losing weight?

I'm 16 years old, 5'9 and weigh about 157 lbs. My weight goal is 140 lbs. I usually loose weight pretty fast (about a pound a day) since i'm a teenager. 2 weeks ago i started going bike riding and i lost about 6 pounds. Then last week I stopped dieting and exercising because I went out of town and i gained about 3 pounds. This week i'm starting practice with my school and we've been running and working out every day for about 6 hours. The first day after working out I lost about a pound. Then the next day I gained half a pound for some reason, and then today i lost only about .2 pounds from the second day. I'm wondering why I'm loosing so little weight if i'm working out and eating so much healtheir i normally do. Can anyone answer my question or give me advice about loosing more to reach my goal since i'm already doing so much exercise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: why am i not loosing weight?

ali,

Don't judge weight loss in one or two day periods. Even weekly rresults will show a lot of variablility depending mostly on the amount of water one is retaining.

Start a good plan today, 8/16, and then compare your weight to what you get on 9/16.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
    ali_juarez09
    (female)

ali_juarez09 HB User
    Re: why am i not loosing weight?

its been 2 weeks and i still havent lost ANY weight, what-so-ever!! i have been eating as healthy as can be and working out like crazyy!! whats going on??

Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
    NOLA_gal
    (female)

NOLA_gal HB User
    Re: why am i not losing weight?

Are you keeping a food log? That can help a lot in finding the problem areas. Are you keeping to a certain calorie level? Food logs can be a pain to keep up but they help keep us honest with ourselves and help us better figure out what might be going wrong. Keep in mind that to lose one pound you need to create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories. That's a lot of calories...

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: why am i not losing weight?

I agree with everyone that you can't determine diet failure in a short period of time. Sometimes it can take 3-4 weeks to see results, especially if there has been some yo-yo dieting, as in your case.

How many calories are you consuming each day? If you don't know the answer to that question, it's probably why you aren't losing. In order to lose fat lbs, you must create a calorie deficit by either eating less than you burn, burning more than you eat, or some combination of the two. The only way to know for sure why you are not losing is to start keeping precise records of EXACTLY what you eat (weigh and measure portions - no guessing!) and EXACTLY what daily exercise activities you are engaged in.

You say that you are eating "healthier" but what does that mean? Many healthy foods are still very calorie rich. And while I would never condone eating cake and candy, the truth is that in terms of weight loss (creating that calorie deficit), your body really doesn't know the difference between 500 calories of cake versus 500 calories fruit.

Also keep in mind that losing a pound per day is NOT healthy for your body. Your goal should be to lose 1-2 lbs per week if you want to remain healthy and not regain the weight. When you lose weight too quickly you are usually losing water weight and muscle mass, NOT FAT, which is quickly gained back when normal eating habits are resumed. I think you have already experienced that!

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
    inetizen
    (male)

inetizen HB User
    Thumbs up Re: why am i not losing weight?

some experts recommend to think of weight loss and weight maintenance as a long term goal, when you gained your weight you probably gained it over a long time so the same strategy should work. do a lot of exercise over a long period of time combined with eating small amounts of good fat such as olive oil and fish. good fat burns fast compared to bad fat which stays in the body and builds up.

Closed Thread