It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• 21 year old in desperate need of advice.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
    andry919
    (female)

andry919 HB User
    Question 21 year old in desperate need of advice.

I posted a message in a different section explaining briefly how I gained about 140 pounds in a period of 2 years. I was on birth control, in a bad relationship with a Marine, and I went away for college. My dad was always very strict when it came down to the food that was purchased and with me not going out. I guess that my new found freedom got the best of me Now, I've been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half and I can't seem to lose a fair amount of weight compared to my methods. I was on WW for a while and lost 50 pounds. Then I started gaining weight, even on the plan. I was embarrased and stopped going to the meetings. It seems that whatever I do does not work.

I've been considering talking to my doctor about prescription weight loss aids. Has anyone had experiences with these pills? Would you recommend any prescription especifically? Any diets? Anything? I just turned 21 two weeks ago and it kills me to know that I can't go out with my friends and wear all of the beautiful clothes I wish I could because I'm so overweight. My life is passing me by and I'm limited by my body. I want to make this change and I want to be able to enjoy all of the wonderful things in life.

Please help! I'm getting pretty desperate.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
    bigomanclad
    (male)

bigomanclad HB User
    Re: 21 year old in desperate need of advice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andry919 View Post
    I posted a message in a different section explaining briefly how I gained about 140 pounds in a period of 2 years. I was on birth control, in a bad relationship with a Marine, and I went away for college. My dad was always very strict when it came down to the food that was purchased and with me not going out. I guess that my new found freedom got the best of me Now, I've been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half and I can't seem to lose a fair amount of weight compared to my methods. I was on WW for a while and lost 50 pounds. Then I started gaining weight, even on the plan. I was embarrased and stopped going to the meetings. It seems that whatever I do does not work.

I've been considering talking to my doctor about prescription weight loss aids. Has anyone had experiences with these pills? Would you recommend any prescription especifically? Any diets? Anything? I just turned 21 two weeks ago and it kills me to know that I can't go out with my friends and wear all of the beautiful clothes I wish I could because I'm so overweight. My life is passing me by and I'm limited by my body. I want to make this change and I want to be able to enjoy all of the wonderful things in life.

Thank you!
    No offense but if you have a large excessive amount of weight to loose like 100lbs you need to start at the basics. Simply eating less will just not cut it!!

Firstly diet wise.

6 small meals a day! This will include:

carbs of about a fist in size i.e: Pasta/ rice/ Jacket potato
    Protein about the size of a large bar of soap: i.e fish, chicken, turkey,
    Palm size portion of veg or salad,
    2 pieces of fruit, bananas/apples etc
    1 tbsp of olive oil or equivelant 2wice a day.

Stay clear from hydrogenated fats which are in fried food, grill or steam your food. Stay clear from the ready made meals which say good for you on them etc. whilst they are better for you than the regular meals they still include high levels of salt.

Drink water with every meal,

Exercise

Start off by just going out for a walk for a bout 45 minutes. You just need start yourself off. After a few weeks join a gym or a class of somesort and start swimming!! swimming is one of the best exercises because there is no pressure on your joints which to be honest is especially good if you are obese!!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
    bmd1011
    (female)

bmd1011 HB User

Quote:

Thank you!
    hey! I'm in the same boat as you, and feel the same way about alot of things. I have not yet found a successful diet/exercise plan but I realize I definitely need to. I will be turning 23 this week, and have 100+ plans to lose. Lately I've been eating excessively, and mostly snacks (ice creams, candy, chips, soda, junk) so I definitely need a change.
    Anyways what I wanted to say before rambling...If you need someone to talk to anytime that understands what you're going for then i'm definitely up for it. Let me know!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
    redsoxgirl2418
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigomanclad View Post
    No offense but if you have a large excessive amount of weight to loose like 100lbs you need to start at the basics. Simply eating less will just not cut it!!

Firstly diet wise.

6 small meals a day! This will include:

carbs of about a fist in size i.e: Pasta/ rice/ Jacket potato
    Protein about the size of a large bar of soap: i.e fish, chicken, turkey,
    Palm size portion of veg or salad,
    2 pieces of fruit, bananas/apples etc
    1 tbsp of olive oil or equivelant 2wice a day.

Stay clear from hydrogenated fats which are in fried food, grill or steam your food. Stay clear from the ready made meals which say good for you on them etc. whilst they are better for you than the regular meals they still include high levels of salt.

Drink water with every meal,

Exercise

Start off by just going out for a walk for a bout 45 minutes. You just need start yourself off. After a few weeks join a gym or a class of somesort and start swimming!! swimming is one of the best exercises because there is no pressure on your joints which to be honest is especially good if you are obese!!
    well, if she's been following the WW plan, this is exactly what she's been doing.

I'm going through something very similar, I've always been overweight. About 3 years ago, I did the Atkins diet and lost about 50 pounds. I tried to gradually get out of eating no carbs because I wasn't feeling too good on it, and I gained back all my weight and much more. Now, every time I try something to lose--WW, just my own cutting down/eating small meals, even trying atkins again--nothing works, I lose just a few pounds then stall and then start gaining again, even with spending over an hour at the gym 4 times a week. I've tried talking to my doctor about it, but he always dismisses it as I just need to "find the right one for me" blah blah blah. I'm in the process of looking for a new one. Hopefully you have someone you can talk to--I'm not necessarily saying that he or she will immediately put you on a prescription drug, but they might be able to run some tests to see if there's a physical reason why you can't burn fat off. Then he or she can suggest a plan or a medication from there.

good luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
    jennie23
    Inactive
    (female)

jennie23 HB User

Hi..I find drinking green tea in the evening, curves the appetite...and it helps if you do not eat anything 2-1/2 to 3 hrs before bed...it is hard, especially if you are like me and like to snack in the evenings, sometimes I will just suck on a piece of sugar free candy...and do not drink the tea too late in the evening as it has caffeine...and it might keep you awake....you have been given lots of good ideas...so good luck to you...........

Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
    andry919
    (female)

andry919 HB User

Thank you! It seems like you really understood were I was coming from without being judgemental. It's very hard when you find out that what worked isn't working anymore, and it's even harder when you're doing things right and it you don't see any progress. I'll definately talk to my doctor about it. I'm starting to really get desperate.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
    andry919
    (female)

andry919 HB User

Talking to someone and getting that support is definately helpful. And likewise if you need someone to talk to I'm here as well.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-08-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
    gottago2289
    (male)

gottago2289 HB User

Quote:

Thank you!
    You were on WW, and you lost weight. I can't speak for you, but you can really do it. You did it for a while (50lbs) and that tells me you don't need prescription, or a doctor. You already did it. Weight-loss and maintaining that loss is a lifestyle change, not a 1yr. stint with WW then it's over. WW (or something of it's like) gets you started, you have to finish it way after it's done with. What caused you re-gain some of that 50 lbs back? If it's just simply that you stopped applying what you learned (diet, exercise regimen) then that is 100% curable under your own power, not by a doctor. 21 is young, I'm only 23. I look back and realize how young I was at 21 and now I realize how much time I had before I got to be 23 and I realize now how much life and fun I have ahead of me.

Just my humble thoughts

Closed Thread