It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• OMG: I am trying the Special K diet and could you believe...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: OMG: I am trying the Special K diet and could you believe...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    Water weight, fat burning weight or any weight that is coming off, as long as the scale is going down, that is all what matters to me.
    An obsession with the scale may not be healthy.

Loss of excess body fat is good (though remember that there is a minimum amount of body fat to be healthy -- typically given as around 5% for men and 10-12% for women).

But loss of muscle weight is generally bad. Loss of muscle makes you weaker, and makes it harder for you to lose fat and keep the fat off (since muscle burns more calories even at rest).

And loss of water just means that you are dehydrating yourself. And water weight / hydration level is also sensitive to the amount of carbohydrates and salt you consume, so fluctuations of 5 pounds or more are possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
    An obsession with the scale may not be healthy.

Loss of excess body fat is good (though remember that there is a minimum amount of body fat to be healthy -- typically given as around 5% for men and 10-12% for women).

But loss of muscle weight is generally bad. Loss of muscle makes you weaker, and makes it harder for you to lose fat and keep the fat off (since muscle burns more calories even at rest).

And loss of water just means that you are dehydrating yourself. And water weight / hydration level is also sensitive to the amount of carbohydrates and salt you consume, so fluctuations of 5 pounds or more are possible.

I weigh myself once a week, so that is not being obsessed with the scale, also alot of popular weightloss programs weigh their customers every week, so it is not unusual to weigh in once a week and as long as the scale is going down, that is good to see when a person is trying to lose weight. I would rather for the scale numbers to go down and not go up, also my doctor said I am doing fine, therefore, I am very careful at what I am doing and thanks for your response

Last edited by Prestige; 01-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
    as long as the scale is going down, that is good to see when a person is trying to lose weight. I would rather for the scale numbers to go down and not go up,
    The whole point is, are you trying to lose weight, or are you trying to lose fat?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    The whole point is, are you trying to lose weight, or are you trying to lose fat?
    The answer is: I am working hard to lose both, fat and weight because I've been large all my life, when I saw my doctor last week, he told me that I am obsese at 202 pounds and I was shocked and felt embarrassed , that is another reason why I decided to start my mission to lose some weight.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #20
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    Losing muscle weight is generally not desirable. And try not to be deceived by water weight fluctuations.

Which would you rather happen?

Scenario A: Lose 5 pounds of fat, gain 2 pounds of muscle, for a net loss of 3 pounds on the scale.

Scenario B: Lose 1 pound of fat, lose 6 pounds of muscle, for a net loss of 7 pounds on the scale.

(Assume water weight did not change in both scenarios.)
    The way I feel right now as tired of being fat and obese, all I want is to be healthier and for my dress size to go down 5 sizes.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Here is something else to consider: Some digital bathroom scales can give false readiings if the instructions are not followed exactly as stated. I got 4 different readings on mine this morning. Mine has a red dot in the middle and it says: "Knock here and wait for the scale to go to zero". If I do that, I will get the correct reading (rounded off to the nearest pound). But if I take the scale from the bathroom cabnet and bump it on the floor, it will start up and go to zero. When I did that, and stepped on the scale, it gave me a false reading that was 6 pounds less than I usually weigh.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #22
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Here is something else to consider: Some digital bathroom scales can give false readiings if the instructions are not followed exactly as stated. I got 4 different readings on mine this morning. Mine has a red dot in the middle and it says: "Knock here and wait for the scale to go to zero". If I do that, I will get the correct reading (rounded off to the nearest pound). But if I take the scale from the bathroom cabnet and bump it on the floor, it will start up and go to zero. When I did that, and stepped on the scale, it gave me a false reading that was 6 pounds less than I usually weigh.
    I use the same manual scale that I had for years and I never had a problem, so I will continue to use my scale, so I am good with my weightloss numbers according to my scale.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #23
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User
    Re: WOW - FOLLOW UP-OMG Special K Diet..........

Quote:
    Hello everyone, well this morning was the day to weigh in for my Special K weightloss journey, Remember in the previous post I joined a gym on Tuesday January 6th, 2009 weighing in at 202 pounds, well I jumped on the scale this morning January 12th, 2009 and my weight today is 194 pounds...............................I LOST 8 POUNDS IN 1 WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!:

I weigh myself again on Monday January 19th, 2009 and I will keep you posted on my Special K Weightloss Journey, I am so happy:

WeightLoss Weekly follow-up 1/19/09

Good morning everyone , well you know it is that time for me to step on the scale again to track my weightloss progress for the week and today is my break from the gym , I had a good week and weekend and happy to say that I now weigh................................... ................. 190 lbs, yes, yes, yes, I lost 4 more pounds for the week, I was shocked and very happy at the same time. I have lost a total of 12lbs in 2 weeks and I am sure it is water weight, and just happy to lose that. I am sure that my weekly weightloss number may start to slow down, so today, I am so motivated and will keep working hard to lose those unwanted pounds. So here are my stats:

1/6/09 - 202 lbs
    1/12/09- 194 lbs
    1/19/09- 190 lbs

Total pounds lost in 2 weeks- 12

Menu: week of 1/19/09 - 1/25/08

Breakfast
    Special K w/skim milk
    2 Fruits
    Multivitamin
    40 oz of water

Lunch
    Bowl of Chicken, Brocolli, Vegetables
    1 Yogurt
    40 oz of water

Snack-

Dinner
    Bowl of Special K cereal/skim milk
    Protein Bar Snack
    20 Oz water

No Gym Today - Monday 1/19/09
    Gym Schedule- Tuesday - Sunday (30-45 Minutes)

Remember, with my weightloss plan, I decided to eat the same thing all week until I switch up when I get bored with the same foods. I have learned that when you are trying to lose weight, you are not picky about the foods you eat because you are happy to eat something and lose weight at the same time without starving yourself.

Next week is my follow-up - 1/26/09 See you then

Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
    derrybrisk
    (female)

derrybrisk HB User

just want to say congrats.. I weight in this morning at 208lbs. Always had an weight problem but got down to 160lbs 2 years ago.. then i stopped smoking January 08 and gained all the weight back. So after reading your story i plan on starting the special K myself and i joined an gym last week so you really have motivated me...good luck

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #25
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Well, with my scale, I weigh myself 5-6 times that same morning to give me an accurate reading, and it does, so I just weigh myself once a week.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #26
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Good morning to you all, and today is the morning that I jump on the scale to weigh myself. I am so tired today and moving in slow motion, I partied so hard this weekend on Saturday night until the next Sunday morning and I still managed to go to the gym this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, it was (hard, hard, hard). So I pulled out the scale this morning (Monday 1/26/09) and weighed myself, now I weigh............... 188 pounds , yes, I have lost 2 more pounds bringing my total weight loss to 14 pounds in 3 weeks. So here are my stats:

Weightloss progress stats:
    1/6/09 - 202 lbs
    1/12/09- 194 lbs
    1/19/09- 190 lbs
    1/26/09- 188 lbs

Total pounds lost in 3 weeks = 14 weightloss pounds

My menu for the week: 1/26/09 - 2/1/09
    Breakfast -
    Gym 5 am - 6 am
    2 Eggs, 3 Bacon slices, 8 oz Grapefruit Juice
    1 Yogurt (am Snack)
    40 ozs of water

Lunch -
    Turkey, lettuce,tomato sandwich
    Protien Bar (snack)
    40 oz of water

Special K w / skim milk
    Snack - yogurt

Eating the same foods all week until I switch up

So this is my last week to workout and I will take a break next week from the gym because mother nature will be at my door, (ladies you know what I am talking about). Therefore, my last weigh in date is on 2/2/09 and I will still let you know how much I have lost this week weightloss mission on 2/2/09. I am not going to the gym at all next week, (2/2/09 - 2/2/09) but I will continue to maintain my weight and eat the same foods. I will re-start my exercise program at the gym on 2/9/09.

I will continue to keep you posted and will follow-up with you on 2/2/09 for my weigtloss results for this week. Always, remember, take it one day at a time, and let your body adjust to the change, it will be hard, but always have something healthy to eat whenever you get hungry.

Have a good week!!!!, see you then on 2/2/09

My next exercise re-start program and weigh in is: 2/9/09

Last edited by Prestige; 01-26-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Congrats on the continued weightloss! Looks like you're on the right path. However, I don't really understand why you feel the need to skip a week of exercise just because of your period. I actually feel a WHOLE LOT better when I DO exercise when I have my period. Not only does it curb the cramping, but I feel SOOOO much better mood-wise, afterwards. You really should try and continue with your workouts during your monthly cycle...unless you have a viable medical excuse, there's really no reason not to.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #28
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Congrats on the continued weightloss! Looks like you're on the right path. However, I don't really understand why you feel the need to skip a week of exercise just because of your period. I actually feel a WHOLE LOT better when I DO exercise when I have my period. Not only does it curb the cramping, but I feel SOOOO much better mood-wise, afterwards. You really should try and continue with your workouts during your monthly cycle...unless you have a viable medical excuse, there's really no reason not to.

You have to understand that individuals design and conduct their own exercise program to benefit themselves, I chose to stop exercising that certain week just to relax and prepare myself for the next 3 weeks mentally and physically. Taking a break for one week is not going to hurt me, just as long as I maintain my food intake and start my exercise program at the end of mother nature, thanks for the congrats

Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #29
    Prestige
    (female)

Prestige HB User

I will continue to keep you posted and will follow-up with you on 2/2/09 for my weigtloss results for this week. Always, remember, take it one day at a time, and let your body adjust to the change, it will be hard, but always have something healthy to eat whenever you get hungry.

Have a good week!!!!, see you then on 2/2/09

My next exercise re-start program and weigh in is: 2/9/09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, well this week here are my results:

I got on the scale and gained 1 pound, so now I weigh........... 189 pounds mother nature came to my door on January 28th, 2009 and I was irritated. I did not exercise at all for the week, today I will be at the gym ready to get back into my exercise routine, I felt so bloated and with cramps, that I hated last week. I am happy to say that I maintain my weight only gaining 1 pound. I feel better this week and I am starting today to drop the pounds back off. Therefore, I will follow up with you all on Monday 2/9/2009 to let you know my weight loss progress
    . so here are my stats:

Weightloss progress stats:
    1/6/09 - 202 lbs
    1/12/09- 194 lbs
    1/19/09- 190 lbs
    1/26/09- 188 lbs
    2/2/09 - 189 lbs - Gained 1 pound, did not exercise, mother nature was here Jan 28-Feb2.

Menu for the week: 2/2/09 - 2/8/09
    Remember I eat the same foods for the entire week-
    Gym M-Thr, Sat Sun (5 am - 6 am)

Breakfast-
    20 OZ Fruit Smoothie (bananas, strawberries, fruit juice, oranges)
    1 Multivitamin
    40 oz of water
    snack

Lunch
    Special K w skim milk (very filling)
    Snack Bar
    40 oz water

Dinner
    Chicken skinless, Vegetables (spinach, brocolli)
    Water
    Snack

Remember, one day at a time, and live your life, see you all with my follow up on 2/9/09.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #30
    shucky ducky
    Veteran
    (male)

shucky ducky HB User

One pound is no big deal. Of course, your weight may fluctuate, especially with other things happening to your body come into play. You are doing great, though! I commend you for hanging so tough and being so consistant, especially where your diet is concerned. Keep up the great work! I don't even know you and I'm excited for you!

Closed Thread