It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• My 500 calorie diet with soda

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
    julsbabygirl
    (female)

julsbabygirl HB User
    My 500 calorie diet with soda

I've started a diet eating only 500 calories in food and drinking all the soda that I want, no water. So far in the past week i've lost about 10 pounds. Even though it's worked so far, I've heard that once you start eating normally again your metabolism is screwed up for life? Is that true?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
    MommyOfBoys
    (female)

MommyOfBoys HB User
    Re: My 500 calorie diet with soda

That is deff. not healthy, and you will end up gaining back what you lost and then some. There is a lot of sugar and calories in soda. Start off slow if dieting is hard for you, slowly start exercising and work up to more and more. Cut the soda out and drink water, even flavored water.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
    leopard777
    (male)

leopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB User

the last sentence you said :
    I've heard that once you start eating normally again your metabolism is screwed up for life? Is that true?
    it is not serious.

yes absoltely Eating really three times a day, at the same time, eating fresh vegetable and fruits .it’s important.
    No eating between meals.

Last edited by leopard777; 01-14-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julsbabygirl View Post
    I've started a diet eating only 500 calories in food and drinking all the soda that I want, no water. So far in the past week i've lost about 10 pounds. Even though it's worked so far, I've heard that once you start eating normally again your metabolism is screwed up for life? Is that true?
    What you are doing is definitely all wrong. Diets don't work. People that go on "diets" gain all or more weight back as soon as they start eating normally again. I don't know where you got the idea to eat 500 calories and drink all of the soda you want but that is just ridiculous. You must realize that.
    If you are not doing something you can stick with the rest of your life why bother? You will loose and gain it back. Pointless.
    The only way to successfully loose weight and keep it off is to figure out how many calories your need a day for your height, weight, age, activity level and so on. Then stay within that range each day. If you need to loose weight subtract 300-500 calories a day from that number.
    Move your body, exercise 5-6 days a week. Cardio that included something that gets your heart pumping most of those days. HIIT, interval training, race/speed walking.
    Drinking water is excellent. Don't get your calories from beverages. Save that for food. Count your calories and your serving size. Stay away from processed foods, sugar free, fat free, diet soda and other drinks, diet foods, trans fats, frozen, canned or boxed foods when possible. Limit your sodium but don't make the mistake of cutting back too far. You need sodium. Just as you need fat. It is about how much and what kind.

Mix up your workout so your body does not adapt. Waling is great. Add a few days of interval training, HIIT or some other type of cardio that gets your heart rate up.

Take up weight lifting. The biggest mistake people make when it comes to loosing weight and fat is thinking they will bulk up if they lift weights and build muscle. Not true. Girls don't bulk up from heavy/hard lifting 3-4 days a week. Men don't either unless they are specifically training to bulk.
    Women do not produce enough testosterone naturally. Building muscle is the key to fat loss. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism is and the more calories you burn just being alive. There are also many other health benefits to building lean muscle.
    You are definitely damaging your metabolism. It can be repaired but why mess with it to begin with.
    Rethink what you are doing. Educate yourself on proper nutrition.

Last edited by littleshelly; 01-14-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
    curtxxx
    (male)

curtxxx HB User

Simply put...besides the obvious nutritional standpoint, that type of calorie def. should be classified under the eating disorder category. You will get extremely ill or die if you keep this up.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
    sjb81
    (female)

sjb81 HB User

Sweetie, I wish you'd stop this diet. I don't think it sounds healthy. Think of your body in the long run. Do you want to gain the weight back? Why don't you just eat a balanced diet- eat 3-5 meals per day...watch portions.... and drink A LOT of water and NO soda or limited soda. Soda is super awful for your body. Honestly....it has NOTHING good to offer you nutritionally.

Think this one through.... please.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yikes! I agree with the other posters that this isn't the way to go. You WILL lose weight short term with extreme diets often times, but this weight will NOT stay off. As soon as you start eating normal again, your metabolism will have slowed down so much that you will easily gain it all back if not more. Eating too little will slow down your metabolism. It's suggested to NOT go under 1200 calories. 1200 calories is even too little for some people, such as a very active person or someone who is taller/larger. Also, a lot of regular soda will be very high in sugar and add a lot of empty calories. You may also get dehydrated from not enough water and all the caffeine. Instead, try to eat around 1200 calories, including healthy options like fruits and vegetables, and lean protein. Try cutting out white carbs, which can really help and make a big difference. I find it very helpful to cut out extra sugars too. If I said to stop drinking ALL soda, I'd be a hypocrite since I love it, so just try to cut back. I only like diet soda, but I only let myself have one per day or none at all. Occasionally, such as at a restaurant or party, I may have a few diet sodas. I try to mainly stick with water!

Hope this helps! Try to make some healthy changes now before long or it will only get harder for you!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
    johnd4
    (male)

johnd4 HB User

May be its true..no idea about that,sorry friend.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
    happyca
    (female)

happyca HB User

Diets rarely work in the long run. That's because you don't address the underlying issues, which could be many. Starving your body only causes your metabolism to shut down, since it thinks you are starving yourself and it wants to hold onto the fat it has to survive.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
    VA_girl
    (female)

VA_girl HB User

Def not a good idea what you're doing & you can really mess up your metabolism. You need something you can stick w/ for life. 3 to 5 small healthy meals. 1200cal is perfect. Do not have regular soda, nor flavored water...empty calories. Try unsweetened iced tea or lemon water, you can sweeten w/ stevia. And just walk, you don't have to kill yourself w/ exercise, b/ walking a few times a week would be so great for your plan.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You're going to die if you keep up this "diet". It's as simple as that. A person can't survive on 500 calories a day. Your metabolism is probably already totally sluggish from this fiasco and I'm sure you've already lost a ton of important vitamins and nutrients from your so-called diet.

If you were smart, you would quit this ridiculous diet and start eating more sensibly. If you need to know what's balanced eating, go to a weight watchers meeting. It's the only program that is worth your time and money.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
    AndrewT
    (male)

AndrewT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julsbabygirl View Post
    I doubt it. Why soda and not water? Your calories are very low so make sure that you are getting the right minerals, vitamins. Being fit and exercising will help to keep the weight down and allow you to eat more at the same time.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
    model1979
    (female)

model1979 HB User

this is so not a good idea. you are starving your body. you dont need to do this to loose weight. weight can be very low with low BF and you dont need to derpive ur body. its all about workingout, very hard work BTW, and eating the right combination of foods.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
    model1979
    (female)

model1979 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
    You're going to die if you keep up this "diet". It's as simple as that. A person can't survive on 500 calories a day. Your metabolism is probably already totally sluggish from this fiasco and I'm sure you've already lost a ton of important vitamins and nutrients from your so-called diet.

If you were smart, you would quit this ridiculous diet and start eating more sensibly. If you need to know what's balanced eating, go to a weight watchers meeting. It's the only program that is worth your time and money.
    WW does not teach one how to eat the right way. it just allows one to stay within cals. jenny craig works a little better by teaching good carbs from bad and focuses on serving sizes. i lost 70 pounds on it and now Im a model!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Oh My...Diet Soda is so bad for you. I was so addicted to it that I wouldn't be caught with a bottle of it out of my hand. Then I got sick and was asked if I drank a lot of Diet Soda...if so it is what is killing me..

Soooo...I started drinking decaf Tea...then decaf Green Tea and now I have
    3/4 cup of oatmeal with a teaspoon of honey (local honey...helps allergies) and a splash of 1% milk.

THEN I make myself frozen fruit smoothies. 2-3 a day. They are great and I've lost weight ( 15 Lbs. so far).you can add a protein powder if you want.

Please walk away from ALL Soda's ... I will sometimes have a diet Spritew/a Big Kids Meal (WW supports it so who am I to argue ) its rare but you can't stay on oatmeal and smoothies all the time.

I read an article in RD about the 400 calories 3 times a day for quick weightloss...or if you want to lose weight more slowly then 400 calories 4 times a day.

Good Luck to you. I really hope you get away from the soda...it is NOT good for you. (It cleans Acid off of Batteries in Cars/Fantastic for cleaning the oil off your windshield) now if it can do that can you imagine what it's doing to your insides?

(((Hugs)))

~Belle~

Closed Thread