It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Does this sound like a healthy diet to you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
    AwesomeBlossom
    (female)

AwesomeBlossom HB User
    Does this sound like a healthy diet to you?

I am a 20 year old female, 5'6" in height, 148 pounds in weight.
    I am currently eating 1200-1400 calories a day, and drinking 2.5 litres of water.

Breakfast is high fibre cereal like All-Bran, usually quite a big helping with either soy milk or yogurt. I have fruit for snacks, sandwiches and/or soups for lunch and dinner, but basically my big 'thing' is FIBRE. High fibre and loads of water.

I exercise about 4 times a week with some light cardio and weights in the gym.

I hope to be able to keep this up for the rest of my life - is it healthy? is it safe? The only food groups I have eliminated are simple carbs like white bread, white pasta and white rice, as well as simple sugars like chocolate and fizzy drinks and sweets. I don't eat much fat either.

Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Does this sound like a healthy diet to you?

AwesomeBlossom,

The number of calories seems about right if you want to lose a little weight slowly.

I wouldn't recommend All-Bran because it's high in phytates. Phytates bond with calcium and other minerals and remove them from the body. I would recommend old fashioned oats or better yet, steel cut oats. It contains insoluble fiber and is very good for your health. Steel-cut oats is better because it is less processed. Don't over cook it. Just cook until it's a little chewy.

If you want a high fiber diet, great! But the fiber should come from eating lots of vegetables, legumes, whole grains and about 4 (1/2 cup) servings of fruit.

I don't recommend sandwiches. A sandwich is a great comfort food but not very healthy. It basically fills you up with bread. It's high calorie and high starch, even if it is whole grain.

Soups for lunch and dinner sounds great! But I only hope you're not talking about canned soup. If it's canned soup, we're talking about minimal nutrition and probably too much sodium.

I'm glad to see that you have eliminated a lot of highly processed junk-food.

You didn't say what you eat for protein. What form of protein and how much protein you eat is important. Assuming you eat meat, about 3 ounces of lean meat for lunch or dinner is probably about right. Chicken breast is very good. Another good idea is to have a vegetarian meal for lunch or dinner. If you have beans, lentils or split pea soup with a serving of whole grain for balance, that should give you a complete protein. This would be soup made from scratch with lots of vegetables included in the soup. That would give you lots of fiber and good nutrition. (Include a teaspoon or two of olive oil after cooking, for the good fat you need for health.)

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-22-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: deleted a word

Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #3
    AwesomeBlossom
    (female)

AwesomeBlossom HB User

Thanks for your advice, JohnR41,

For protein I am eating stuff like really lean chicken breast, quorn protein and soy protein from milks and yogurts. (I'm not too keen on drinking cow's milk).
    After a workout I try to get at least 20g of protein straight afterwards, as I have been told this is good for gaining muscle mass.

Although usually I agree with you on the sandwich front in general, my sandwiches are really awesome because each slice of wholemeal bread is only 55 calories, and I don't use butter or any fat spread, instead just chicken breast and tonnes of veggies - I calculated that my sandwiches are all under 200 calories!

Yes, my soups are homemade, usually a couple of vegetables boiled up and then pureed. Fun to do!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

AwesomeBlossom,

Your sandwiches are much better than average. I assumed you would be using high sodium lunch meat, very little veggies and plenty of fat-spread.

Even so, I like the soup idea better. I have steel-cut oats for breakfast. Then I have soup for lunch with beans, vegetables and whole grain rice. I also have soup for dinner with lentils (or some other legume), vegetables and whole wheat berries mixed with whole barley.

So I usually have four different whole grains every day but not excessive amounts. I measure 1/4 cup before cooking.

Variety is good, in my opinion. Lots of different whole grains, lots of different vegetables, legumes and fruits. And I really enjoy it too.

I almost forgot to mention that I eat a plant based diet. That's why I eat lots of beans, lentils and split peas mixed with whole grains.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
    titan38
    (male)

titan38 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AwesomeBlossom View Post
    I am a 20 year old female, 5'6" in height, 148 pounds in weight.
    I am currently eating 1200-1400 calories a day, and drinking 2.5 litres of water.

Breakfast is high fibre cereal like All-Bran, usually quite a big helping with either soy milk or yogurt. I have fruit for snacks, sandwiches and/or soups for lunch and dinner, but basically my big 'thing' is FIBRE. High fibre and loads of water.

I exercise about 4 times a week with some light cardio and weights in the gym.

I hope to be able to keep this up for the rest of my life - is it healthy? is it safe? The only food groups I have eliminated are simple carbs like white bread, white pasta and white rice, as well as simple sugars like chocolate and fizzy drinks and sweets. I don't eat much fat either.

Thoughts?
    Bread, pasta and rice are not simple carbs... they are complex carbs.

Closed Thread