It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Really need some opinions, struggling.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
    SimoneHope
    (female)

SimoneHope HB User
    Really need some opinions, struggling.

Hi, first I want to say thank you for reading this and sorry for the long post in advance, I really appreciate it.
    I've been trying to lose weight now for some years, and although I have managed to lose around 30-35 pounds I am still not where I want to be at all, those years have consisted of ups and downs, some months being strict and some months not but I have been following a strict enough routine for a year and a half now, I've transitioned to a vegetarian and then vegan diet in the past year and have become a lot healthier, fitter, stronger and more flexible which of course is what matters the most but I am so frustrated that I am not losing weight.
    I have a healthy diet and exercise routine, although for some months I was exercising too much as I got so frustrated that I decided to do 3+ hours of exercise a day to test my body, I didn't lose, not even 1 pound.
    I know that you are probably thinking I've hit a plateau, and at first I thought that too but considering its been over 2 years, I highly doubt I'm still in that phase.
    I've tried many "diets" and "workout plans" before realising that I need a healthy lifestyle that I can stick to, which I follow now, I have even been to slimming world in the past , despite the fact that I was never huge to begin with, I was big but not huge I don't understand how I can't have lost weight it's been years now, and kind of ridiculous.
    I've went through phases of counting every calorie and measuring everything, which made me obsessive, I knew what was going in and what my energy was being spent on but still I haven't budged, and when I feel like I see a difference in my clothes or in the mirror I only weigh myself to find I am the same weight , which is so disheartening, even when I hardly eat I stay the same weight.
    I've been to the doctor,explained my situation and got bloods done, my thyroid and other blood levels are apparently fine.
    I also highly doubt that I'm converting the fat into muscle significantly, as for one, I'd see a huge change and two I would have to be eating a very high protein diet for that to happen, which I don't.
    There are a few things that I can think of myself that could be the problem, although I'm not an expert and really need some help with this, I have read that you can have thyroid and or hormone problems that don't show up in bloods although I'm not sure how you would get that tested otherwise, Chronic stress syndrome involving the release of the hormone cortisol causes issues with weight as far as I know, maybe I was eating below my BMR for some time and damaged my metabolism , but by this stage it should be back to working, or else maybe the fact that on a vegan diet you tend to eat a lot of carbs (fruit etc..) and I don't eat as much vegetables as I should just because I'm not fond of the taste but always try my best to reach good nutritional goals.
    I find it crazy that I'm even at the stage to looking into this so much, so I'm just asking for some opinions and advice, even if they are blunt, thanks again,
    Kind regards,
    Simone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Really need some opinions, struggling.

Hi, I was wondering what your BMI is and have you ever had you body fat % measured ? Also are there stubborn areas of your body where you can not get rid of fat pockets? What is your age and did your parents have weight problems. I think that if you like your body, fit into a good size clothing and feel healthy then perhaps you are putting too much focus on weight. Me, I lost 65 pounds working up to 2 1/2 hours of cardio a day and now do an hour cardio and weight training and I gained muscle weight but look better with the extra weight so weight for me weight is inconsequential because of my healthy lifestyle. Looking forward to your answers and perhaps I could make more concrete suggestions to you...

Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
    Blaine Podaima
    (male)

Blaine Podaima HB User

If you are not losing weight either your diet is no good, you are not training hard enough or both. First of all vegetarian is actually a very bad diet for losing weight. In fact most vegetarians I know are overweight as the diet contains a high amount of carbs vs. protein. If a person comes to me and wants to lose weight and they are vegetarian I will not work with them, knowing they will not get the results they are looking for.

You havent mentioned what you do for exercise but unless it is producing large amounts of lactic acid it wont do much for weight loss.

I do think the diet is your problem and not hormones, metabolism, etc.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
    FindRevelation
    (female)

FindRevelation HB User

Going vegan then eating a lot of carbs and fruit sugars instead of vegetables is pretty much your answer. It's simple math (counting calories)

I have Celiac disease, so I cannot eat gluten which eliminates most processed or vegan quick foods (and thus, calories).

Furthermore, I am not a personal fan of eating too many grains because they are so starchy and diabetes runs rampant in my family, so if I do eat grains, I usually pick the higher in fiber & protein options with less carbs (e.g. items made with teff flour, garbanzo bean flour, almond flour instead of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, etc.). But I probably only eat about the equivalent of 6 slices of bread in a month.

However, I do make a lot of veggie stir fry with rice though.

I just got my cholesterol screening back a few days ago. I went from 180 to 134 (total cholesterol) in a year. IN ONE YEAR.

I didn't get full results when I tested at 180, but I can say that now my LDL (the bad junk) is 68 and my HDL (the good stuff) is 53. I joined a gym last month so I am working out to get that HDL to increase even more. I put all of this into the Mayo clinic's online calculator for risk of coronary heart disease and I am only at 7% risk.

Why is that 7% risk so cool to me? Because every other relative (mom & dad's side, even younger cousins) have had diabetes diagnosis in mid-30s and most are on Lipitor for high cholesterol.

I've gone from 201 pounds to 130 and I have escaped the diabetes & heart disease diagnosis I was told I could not avoid. I was told I was at 100% risk.

Anyway, point is that if you consume more vegetables than carbs, it should turn things around (and I think you know that already).

I know you said you don't like the taste so maybe experiment by trying to cook them differently? I find steamed veggies deplorable and I stir fry in a mix of 50% extra virgin olive oil and 50% gmo-free canola oil.

I always saute mushrooms and onions (I don't like them raw) along with green cabbage, purple cabbage and shredded carrots (if you hate to wash & chop, you can get a $1.25 bag of "coleslaw mix" from the produce aisle). If you want to cut carbs, don't add any rice just eat as is. You can use soy sauce, some type of sweet & sour sauce or even a salad dressing drizzle over the top.

You can also add a bit of fresh baby spinach leaves (at the very end, those cook fast) or broccoli florets (early, they take longer). Lastly, Beyond Meat makes excellent "chicken-free" strips that have no wheat or gluten if you don't mind a bit of soy protein sometimes.

Just sharing my weight loss experience and some ideas. Hope this is helpful.

= = = = =

Edit: As a vegan, it's important for me to distinguish between veganism and eating a plant-based diet. I'm not trying to get hung up on words, but they are often used interchangeably.

Being vegan isn't a "diet", it is an entire lifestyle dedicated to ethical choices. We don't use or wear animal products, we don't visit zoos or the circus and we are also environmental stewards because animal agriculture is destroying the environment faster than cars.

I'm not posting this directed at any one person, just to anyone who might be reading. It's meant to inform, not be argumentative.

Last edited by FindRevelation; 12-27-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
    ryan015
    (male)

ryan015 HB User

I always recommend that you weight all your food and use a calories calculator to ensure you are not overeating throughout the day and this will help you stay on track.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
    vs453
    (female)

vs453 HB User

Be sure you are getting plenty of protein. Protein is not only important for muscles but also for weight loss as well. Check to see your protein needs and eat at least that. Plus fiber and plenty of water is important as well. Veggies and Fruits are good but if you are a vegan or vegetarian eat more veggies, less fruit.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
    Reg4502
    (female)

Reg4502 HB User

A friend of mine who is a dietician told me you need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound. So, if you're burning 300 calories in one workout, it will take you almost 12 workouts to lose one pound. If you cut your calorie intake by 300 calories in addition to burning 300 calories, it will take you half as long to lose a pound.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
    SamT33
    (male)

SamT33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blaine Podaima View Post
    If you are not losing weight either your diet is no good, you are not training hard enough or both. First of all vegetarian is actually a very bad diet for losing weight. In fact most vegetarians I know are overweight as the diet contains a high amount of carbs vs. protein. If a person comes to me and wants to lose weight and they are vegetarian I will not work with them, knowing they will not get the results they are looking for.

You havent mentioned what you do for exercise but unless it is producing large amounts of lactic acid it wont do much for weight loss.

I do think the diet is your problem and not hormones, metabolism, etc.
    If it's protein they're lacking in, they can go for kale and spinach, that's high in protein, along with mushrooms.

Closed Thread

Tags
    exercise, help asap, saddness, weight, weightloss