It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• bleeding after sex with normal ultrasound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
    emilyb1
    (female)

emilyb1 HB User
    Question bleeding after sex with normal ultrasound

Hi,

I have scoured the older threads to see if my particular problem was answered. I found nothing, so I am going to ask away. I am 29, have three kids and had a tubal ligation 4 years ago with my last child. I have had irregular bleeding, sometimes heavier periods, and more recently bleeding in between periods for over a year now. I went to the dr. and had a trans vaginal ultrasound done. A small, simple ovarian cycst was found. They recommended to go on birth control to regulate my periods and not to worry about the cyst. I decided to not go on the pill to see if my periods would calm down.

The past two times my husband and I have had sex I have had bleeding the next day. NO pain during, or pain after, just notice the bleeding when I go to the bathroom. One time spotting, and one time turned into what I assumed was a early period. But my actual period came on time later in the month. I also realized that a few other times in the past I had slight spotting or my period started the next day following intercourse.

I recently have had the bleeding happen again after intercourse, with slight cramps as well. I am not sure where to go. I have my normal pap smear scheduled for June. I am not sure if I should schedule it for sooner. I have it scheduled with my primary care physician and am wondering if I should also schedule it with a gynecologist instead?

I have done some research and do see the cervical cancers is a scary possibility with my symptoms. However, I have been married for 8 years and have only been with my husband. My husband was with one other woman, one time before me. Everything I have seen about cervical cancer is stating it is caused by HPV which is a STD. The risk of me having it is slim to none with my history and my husbands sexual history. Is cervical cancers caused by things other than HPV. Forgive my ignorance on this, I have not been able to find out for sure if other types of cervical cancer exist. I have no eight gain, no bloating, not other symptoms of anything. My uterus appeared fine on the ultrasound.

Should I be concerned with my symptoms? Schedule a pap sooner? If so with what type of dr. is recommended and what specific additional tests should I request? Thank you for any information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: bleeding after sex with normal ultrasound

Sorry for your troubles! Tubals can alter hormone production causing menstrual cycle changes and they don't always happen immediately. Heavier and longer periods seem to be the most common complaint.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
    DiHuf
    (female)

DiHuf HB User
    Re: bleeding after sex with normal ultrasound

Possibly just a friable cervix?

I dislike the thought of minimizing a very real concern by saying "just" but there are quite a few of us that have super sensitive tissue that irritates easily and bleeds and sometimes there just isn't a reason that the doctors can find (rather, they aren't in a position to look for all possible causes?).

Hormone issues, underlying infections, auto-immune disorders, blood sugar issues, allergies (sexual lubricants, douches, bath soaps, detergents, etc), chronic yeast infections, etc...

For myself, I learned how to keep irritation to a minimum. No antibacterial soaps near the bathtub or shower (killing good bacteria leads to yeast overgrowth), no douches unless it was medicated and advised by doc, going "commando" at home when feasible, avoiding certain lubricants (KY was a bad offender for me) and just trying to be mindful of anything that affected my vaginal health and modifying what I could.

If it were me (and it has been in the past), I would find a regular gyn for your future exams even if this next exam is performed by a GP. That is simply because vaginal/cervical health is better monitored by a person who focuses on that sort of thing And, since your tubes are tied, I would find a gynecologist rather than an OB/GYN just because an OB has strengths that lay in the pregnancy/delivery spectrum of healthcare.

I wouldn't fuss too much about waiting until June because if you did have cervical cancer (odds are that you probably don't with your history), it is usually so slow growing that a two month wait would not make a difference in any treatment.

Sorry that your going through a nerve-wracking time. Hopefully you get in for that exam soon and get some relief from your concerns.

Last edited by DiHuf; 04-15-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bleeding, period, womens health