It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• UTI/Not UTI?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
    percan
    (female)

percan HB User
    UTI/Not UTI?

Okay, I have a couple of questions in here, hope someone can help.

I noticed for the past few days my urine had a "different" smell. At first I thought it was something I ate, but it continued. I didn't have any of the usual symptoms of a UTI, it was just the odd odor, but I did an at-home UTI test and it then showed very positive for leukocytes, but very negative on nitrites.

The next morning I tested again, and it was still positive for leukocytes (though on the color scale, somewhat less than the day prior) and still negative for nitrites.

All day long I drank and drank and drank water, and then I went to a mini-clinic. I drank like 3 glasses before I left, peed before I left, and by the time I got there 20 minutes later had to really pee bad again. So I'm not sure whether the sample was too diluted to get an accurate reading?? Because they tested it at the clinic and the color strip showed just trace amount of leukocytes. But they sent it off to the lab, and in the meantime the nurse gave me a scrip for Cipro and said to start it.

So far I've taken 3 of the 6 pills. She just called with the results and the lab found no sign of infection. The nurse said I should still finish the pills.

So now I don't know whether I really ever had an infection or not. They say you should always finish the antibiotics you're prescribed, but isn't that only true when you actually have an infection? Because if you don't finish it, the bacteria become resistant. But seems like in my case there may not have been bacteria? Or maybe there were and the sample I gave was just too diluted to show up? I'm so confused. My worry is that if I don't have any bad bacteria for the Cipro to kill, it will kill the good bacteria in the intestine and I'll end up with intestinal problems.

So....take the remaining pills or not???

Sorry this is so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any advice???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    cipro, uti