It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Advice on Ovarian Cysts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User
    Question Advice on Ovarian Cysts

Hi Everyone,

I have had a known history of Ovarian Cysts on my left side for the last 3 years. I am 23 years old, normal BMI, and to my knowledge the cysts are not causing me any issues except for some minor pain here and there. I do have a history of constipation, but that has basically been since I was born.

I switched doctors this year and told her that I have had ovarian cysts in the past up to 4cm and that I have not been checked for them in about a year and a half.. I honestly just got irritated with having to pay the $200 every 3 months to have them looked at, which went on for about a year. She could not feel anything, but scheduled an ultrasound just in case...

Well.. this is what I got back this time:

"Images are obtained with an endovaginal probe. The uterus is 3 cm in
    diameter and 7 cm in sagittal length. The endometrium is 3 mm.

The right ovary is 1.9 x 3.4 cm. Multiple cysts are present associated
    with the right ovary. The largest is 24 mm in diameter. The left ovary
    is 3.8 x 6 cm. There are 3 moderate sized lesions with internal echoes
    in the left ovary. These are not simple cysts. One is 29 mm in
    diameter. This is filled with internal acoustic reflections. The
    second is 4 cm in maximal diameter, and this could possibly be a solid
    lesion. A third lesion is 25 mm and contains echoes.

Impression
    Impression: Complex 6 cm left ovary. Three lesions are present, two
    appear to be cysts containing debris and a third lesion is solid, of
    undetermined etiology. Followup is suggested."

I went for my followup and was told that they could do surgery and remove them or wait 6 months and check on them again. She said she just really hated to remove an ovary from a 23 year old if she didn't have to. I seriously have no idea what I should do and thought that some of you on here may have some insight. My husband and I want children one day so hopefully if I went into surgery, they wouldn't get too crazy with removing things.

So.. should I wait, or should I just have the surgery and get over my fears.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Advice on Ovarian Cysts

I would wait for now. They can usually remove cysts but there are times when they have grown such that the ovary has to go as well. They could interfere with getting pregnant and you would need then to have them removed, hoping that the ovary can be preserved. If you come to that point, I'd try to find a surgeon who does a lot of these and is adept at preserving the ovary. It's a tricky thing and not every surgeon is good enough for that particular procedure.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I never thought about looking for a specialized surgeon if I do decide to go that route.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
    CallMeMagenta
    (female)

CallMeMagenta HB User

I had an ovary removed due to a very large cyst when I was about 18 years old. It had zero effect on my ability to conceive. I was told by my gynecologist that when one ovary is removed the other one just takes over. I subsequently had three children and had no difficulty getting pregnant.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User

Which surgery did they have to use for you? The small incision or the larger one?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Based on what I have learned since having organs unnecessarily removed (for a 9.5cm benign cyst), you want to keep your ovary if possible. Losing an ovary may impair fertility...it may not. I have heard of both situations happening. I have also heard of losing an ovary causing an early and sometimes very abrupt "menopause." This makes sense since our parts (uterus, ovaries, and tubes) all work together as a system so removal of any one part can cause everything to go "haywire." Also, the ovaries are not needed for reproduction alone. They produce hormones our whole lives to keep us healthy in every way.

You did not mention any concern about cancer but I just want to mention that if there is a possibility, you would want a gynecologic oncologist doing the surgery. But even so, if the cysts end up being benign (based on frozen section) you should not need to lose your ovary IF you have a surgeon with good cystectomy skills as Titchou mentioned.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I didn't mention cancer because while it is a possibility, it is not probable. I also don't like to think about it haha. One of the cysts are solid and they don't really know what is in it so it is a bit concerning. The other 2 my doctor believes is filled with old blood.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jlottie9 View Post
    I didn't mention cancer because while it is a possibility, it is not probable. I also don't like to think about it haha. One of the cysts are solid and they don't really know what is in it so it is a bit concerning. The other 2 my doctor believes is filled with old blood.
    I did not want to mention it either for that very reason...that it is not probable since most ovarian cysts are benign. Plus it seems that if your current or previous gynecologist were concerned, they would have referred you to an oncologist.

Imaging is imperfect but also there are various types of cysts that are not functional but still benign. Some that come to mind are hemorrhagic (blood filled), dermoid, and endometrioma.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User

Plus my age, although at my age I shouldn't be having these problems anyways haha

Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
    CallMeMagenta
    (female)

CallMeMagenta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jlottie9 View Post
    Which surgery did they have to use for you? The small incision or the larger one?
    Mine was done many years ago when they just cut people open and took stuff out. My scar is very long. My cyst was the size of a grapefruit, so it had to be big enough to get it out.

I would encourage you to speak with your physician, get a second or third or fourth opinion if it makes you feel more comfortable, but please don't take the word of people on the internet regarding the pros and cons of surgery. Stick with the experts.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 AM   #11
    Jlottie9
    (female)

Jlottie9 HB User

Of course haha. My doctor basically said it was up to me... I sent her a few questions yesterday that should help me decide which way I want to go. Either way, if I do have the surgery, I am definitely going to look for someone who specializes in removing cysts without removing the organs.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cyst, ovarian cysts, ovary, ovary removal