It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Colposcopy ... Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
    KellyA91
    (female)

KellyA91 HB User
    Colposcopy ... Scared!

Hi All.

At 21 I went for my first ever smear test which came back with clear results. Three years later I went for my next routine smear which came back with abnormalities. I was told I was to go for another smear six months later.
    I went for the follow up smear six months after for these results to also show abnormalities and therefor I was referred for a colposcopy.

To say I am nervous is an understatement. Not only am I worried about the actual procedure i.e. will it hurt? How long will it take? But also, the results...will I have to be sent for further test? Am I going to be told I have cervical cancer?

I know the last question is a bit drastic, but being only 24 there aren't many people my age I can talk to about this.

This is not only daunting on it's own but is made more difficult by the fact me and my partner are trying for a baby. This causes even more confusion for myself as I am wondering whether I should put things on hold for a but until I have received my results.

Any advice/ guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Colposcopy ... Scared!

If that is truly all the information they have given you, find another gyno. If you've just left some out of your narrative, it's a little difficult to advise you.

The reason I say this is "abnormal" covers a lot of ground. In fact, if you had sex or took a bubble bath the night before the paps, that will give you an "abnormal" result.

So, what details were you given about the abnormality? HPV positive?

Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
    KellyA91
    (female)

KellyA91 HB User

Hi,

The only results I have been given were that abnormal cells have been reported. I asked when I went for my second smear what the abnormalities were and they told me it was low grade dyskaryosis.
    Unfortunately I won't know any more until I attend my appointment with the colposcopist.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

ONLY if it was high grade dyskarios should you have the colposcopy. If it was low grade, it will resolve on its own. Again,they have not given you all the information you need.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
    KellyA91
    (female)

KellyA91 HB User

Hi.

I've been given the colposcopy appointment as I've had two smears that have reported abnormal cells.

I just wanted to know people's experiences of going as it's the actual procedure I am nervous about.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

As Titchou mentioned low grade dysplasia usually resolves on its own. Also, cervical cancer takes years to develop from abnormal cells. And most cervical cancers are caused by high risk HPV (two types in particular). So I personally would want more information before going for a biopsy. Colposcopy itself involves getting a better look at the cervix but a biopsy is usually done at the same time.

The problem is that doing a biopsy (at least the cone method) can scar the cervix and cause infertility as well as an incompetent cervix which increases risk of miscarriage and preterm labor. This is also true of some excision treatment methods. So you don't want to undergo these unnecessarily.

Do you know if you have a high risk type of HPV (or any HPV)? HPV is common and most go away on their own but the high risk types (two in particular) are responsible for the majority of cervical cancers. Absent one of these, it seems overkill to do a biopsy.

I have personally found that we have to advocate for ourselves because we are the ones who have to live with the consequences of any treatment (or lack thereof). If you feel you aren't getting the necessary information and good care, you may want to switch doctors.

Last edited by STLouisgal; 02-08-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 02-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Just realized that the HPV test probably wasn't done since you are in your 20's. I don't think they do that until age 30 since it isn't very useful in "young" women.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Exactly why I pressed her on the additional information. Too many times we are talked into invasive procedures that we don't really need. Thanks for going over that!

Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
    Skanders0305
    (female)

Skanders0305 HB User

Hi. Just checking on you. I just had a colposcopy. It was no big deal. A little uncomfortable. I have hpv. The kind that can lead to cancer. I have vin now from Hpv. Always make sure you have your screenings. I hope you are well.

Closed Thread