It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Irregular, heavy periods with large clots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
    helpneede
    (female)

helpneede HB User
    Irregular, heavy periods with large clots

Hi,

So I'm 20 and I've never had regular periods. Usually, when I get my period, which is like once is a few months, it's not even heavy in a sense that I only need a panty liner. And there's only blood if I wipe and nothing on my pad. However, once in a while, my period will get really heavy where I need to change a large pad every hour. What's worse is that I have really big clots that feel like golfballs that come out. And I can't control these, so I have to run to the toilet overtime I feel these coming because if not, blood will go everywhere and drip down my legs. I really don't know what's happening or why this is happening.

Does anyone have any idea?

The following user gives a hug of support to helpneede:
    k742 (07-27-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
    FamilyFunForMe
    (female)

FamilyFunForMe HB User
    Re: Irregular, heavy periods with large clots

It could be a cyst on your ovary. You should think about getting it checked. It's common, but very painful if it bursts on its own. A dr can scan it in the office if you go to a gynecologist. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User

If you haven't already, I would definitely ask your GYN about the possibility of endometriosis, and cysts. I have pretty much the exact same issues - huge clots, gushing, having to rush to the bathroom to change pads/tampons (which let's face it don't really help at all), etc. After several years of dealing with irregular periods and pain, excessive bleeding, anemia, etc...I was finally diagnosed with endometriosis and cysts on both ovaries. It's nice to have a diagnosis to go along with the issues, but it's not something that can be cured (the endo, not the cysts)...so there's that. But there are options for people like us! Depending on your plans for the future (kids...) there are some options your GYN should be able to discuss with you...endometrial ablation, BCPs, laparascopic surgery to diagnose any issues...But I would definitley get it checked out! *HUGS*

Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
    Charon70
    (female)

Charon70 HB User

What everyone above said, but check into fibroids also. My best friend suffers from them and there are some similarities to what you described. Fibroids are actually pretty common too.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

If I understood you correctly, you're only getting your period once every few months. That could be an indication of an endocrine or metabolic abnormality. Some that come to mind are Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) or a thyroid, adrenal or pituitary problem.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
    anemia sucks
    (female)

anemia sucks HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charon70 View Post
    What everyone above said, but check into fibroids also. My best friend suffers from them and there are some similarities to what you described. Fibroids are actually pretty common too.
    I was just diagnosed with those and it sounds very familiar.

Closed Thread

Tags
    menstrual, period, women