It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Long Menstrual Cycles For Past Year

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
    CallMeLady
    (female)

CallMeLady HB User
    Long Menstrual Cycles For Past Year

Hi, I know this is a long description but please bare with me! I've been through a lot with this so I have a lot to tell. I guess Im posting here because I've been to three doctors and I feel like they've been dismissive of the subject or haven't quite helped me in answering my questions.

I am twenty four, almost twenty five and all of my menstrual life I've had longer cycles about 35 days and have a history of being MAYBE a week late. So I never went past having a 35-42 day cycle. When I was 22-23 I had very normal 30 day cycles with light bleeding and hardly any pms. (also the year I had the best diet, exercise and least stress)
    Then I got a new job last October and around March the stress was hitting me very hard. Along with a lot of bad things happening at home, and the stress from the work, I was beginning to get sick.
    I skipped my first period in March. In may when it came around I did vomit for the first time on my period but I do have IBS and i believe the cramps from the IBS diarrhea (which I always get with periods) made me vomit so I wasn't too worried because the period itself was only six days, average bleeding and no pain or sickness otherwise.
    I bled for six days, normal for me, but then had a 51 cycle. I skipped another month then in July I had 5 days of bleeding, nothing heavy nothing painful, normal period.
    Then I had a 67 day cycle.
    In September I bled for 5 days, the cramps were excessive and i was bed ridden for a good portion of the first day but otherwise, normal bleeding, some clotting but nothing terrible.
    Now I skipped again and Im on day 60 of this cycle....

At work the stress was getting so bad I was becoming physically ill. I was having episodes where my body felt like it was giving out and Id have to rush myself home. My diet also became very bland and not very nutritional because my ibs was so bad.

I went to an internist who did thorough blood testing. My thyroid was normal. I had slightly low vitamin D and everything else was normal. He seemed to have no concern at all for my cycles, said it was just stress and diet, and that it was common with women my age.

I wasn't happy with this result so I went to a gyno. She was even more dismissive. I told her I had been having severe pms symptoms in between these massively long cycles. I have no traditional signs of PCOS at all, just acne..and without any tests, blood tests, pap smears, ultrasounds, she did NOTHING..she just told me I had PCOS and put me on BC. I do not agree with oral contraceptives for my body and I didn't take them. She did feel around on my pelvic area and stomach said she felt no signs of cysts or tumors.

Finally I went to a second internist. She said I had a protein deficient diet as well, then she did a pap smear and I have BV which I get reoccurring. She said it was mild and it has never affected my period in the years I've had it. I told her about my cycle and she seemed unconcerned as well.

I realize by now that its nothing serious or they would be concerned. Three doctors aren't going to be stupid enough. But none of them would give me a direct answer, except for miss gyno who just threw a diagnosis at me without any testing, about why my periods are doing this? It just seems like a very strange pattern, having one every other month. I just quit my job (applauds) and Im hoping to start on the road to recovery. Already my stress and anxiety levels are going down but Im gonna admit it, I'm a control freak, and not having my periods is driving me nuts! I just wish I could MAKE my uterus shed already dammit.

Has anyone else been through this or have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Long Menstrual Cycles For Past Year

Periods like yours are not that unusual. Many women experience this. Hormonal treatment is the only one that will regulate this as it is a hormonal issue. Outside of birth control, I don't know of anything they can do for you other than try to mitigate stress, try naproxen and exercise to help with cramps. There really isn't anything else.

Closed Thread

Tags
    irregular periods, menstruation cycle, stress