It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Chronic Ovarian Cysts? PLEASE HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
    pearlgarden
    (female)

pearlgarden HB User
    Chronic Ovarian Cysts? PLEASE HELP!

Hello all,

So I'm hoping to get some insight as I am at a loss. I am 28 years old. I am prediabetic and have hypothyroidism. I am on metformin and levothyroxine. My endo wants me to start taking victoza in a few weeks since no matter what I do I cannot lose weight and to get my sugars better controlled. I am always so incredibly almost non functioning tired and out of it since this began, but I have gotten every blood test in existence it feels like and the only abnormality was my a1c which wasn't that bad. I also get chronic ovarian cysts, but they are always between 6-9cm, about every month to every other month for the past 2-1/2 years. They always go away, but when I have them, they are horrible, painful, gas, bloating, nausea, and I cannot have sex with my husband because it hurts so much (I am newly married). I have had 3 ruptures and every doctor I have seen says I am at risk for a torsion when the cysts get to that size. So basically I feel like I am a ticking time bomb every month. One doctor dabbled with the thought of an atypical PCOS deal, but I never got a complete answer. I cannot take birth control due to migraines with aura so I don't know how to stop this cycle. I am seeing a new gyno who wanted me to get an ultrasound 2 days after my period ends for the most accurate results. So last month I went to get this done and even though I felt pain it was a "normal" ultrasound. My gyno said that it was unusual that the doctor said it was a "normal" ultrasound due to the fact that it said I had "numerous follicles" which can indicate PCOS in some cases. I feel pain all the time and now I'm not sure if its painful ovulation, if I have cysts, and now I'm thinking if maybe this whole time I am also having maybe gastrointestinal issues? I definitely feel like I have a cyst right now, and when I told the gyno, she said to do the same thing and get the ultrasound 2 days after my period ends.

So basically my concerns are, what if there is no cyst again? Do I just go get these expensive ultrasounds every month to every other month? And for what reason? It doesn't seem to me like there's anything that can be done anyway. Should I be seeing a gastroenterologist? I don't know what to do anymore I guess I'm asking for advice and venting at the same time. Thanks for reading, any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Chronic Ovarian Cysts? PLEASE HELP!

I'm sorry for your troubles. Ovarian cysts as well as insulin resistance / prediabetes are classic symptoms of PCOS. Some others are excess body and facial hair, oily and acne prone skin and high testosterone levels. The ovarian cysts of PCOS are typically small cysts in a strand of pearls pattern but sometimes a lot of small cysts can appear as one or more larger cysts on ultrasound. And, yes, PCOS symptoms can vary from one woman to another.

But hypothyroidism can cause systemic problems too including changes to the menstrual cycle. And the weight gain that many experience with poorly controlled hypothyroidism can cause insulin resistance.

The fact that you have been "always so incredibly almost non functioning tired and out of it since this began" may be an indication that you need a higher dose of thyroid hormone or a different medication. Does your doctor check your TSH as well as your free T3 and free T4 levels? Although most doctors dose by TSH alone, it isn't the best indicator since it's a pituitary hormone. And levothyroxine (T4 medication) isn't the best med for everyone. Some people do better on a natural dessicated (T4/T3 combo) medication such as Armour (or one of the others).

I hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Forgot to mention - Thyroid problems can also affect the gut but it sounds like you only have those issues when you have cysts. It does seem ridiculous to keep getting ultrasounds since these cysts usually resolve on their own.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
    pearlgarden
    (female)

pearlgarden HB User
    Unhappy Re: Chronic Ovarian Cysts? PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    I'm sorry for your troubles. Ovarian cysts as well as insulin resistance / prediabetes are classic symptoms of PCOS. Some others are excess body and facial hair, oily and acne prone skin and high testosterone levels. The ovarian cysts of PCOS are typically small cysts in a strand of pearls pattern but sometimes a lot of small cysts can appear as one or more larger cysts on ultrasound. And, yes, PCOS symptoms can vary from one woman to another.

But hypothyroidism can cause systemic problems too including changes to the menstrual cycle. And the weight gain that many experience with poorly controlled hypothyroidism can cause insulin resistance.

The fact that you have been "always so incredibly almost non functioning tired and out of it since this began" may be an indication that you need a higher dose of thyroid hormone or a different medication. Does your doctor check your TSH as well as your free T3 and free T4 levels? Although most doctors dose by TSH alone, it isn't the best indicator since it's a pituitary hormone. And levothyroxine (T4 medication) isn't the best med for everyone. Some people do better on a natural dessicated (T4/T3 combo) medication such as Armour (or one of the others).

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your reply. My most recent bloodwork my dr checked my TSH, Free T4, Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin, and my thyroid perixidase AB. My TSH was 2.5 and my free T4 was 0.83 and the low end of the range was 0.82. So I have had my total T3 levels checked before but I am not sure if it was Free T3. This is my fifth endocrinologist, this one and all of them have said that my thyroid is functioning normally and will not change my dose or medication. I don't even know who to go to anymore to get more testing done and I am so tired of seeing doctor after doctor telling me everything is fine, yet I feel like crap all the time.

Yeah I think the ultrasounds are useless, the cysts cause me tremendous pain and then they always go away. But no doctor really tells me what to do when I have the cysts. I will literally gain up to 10 pounds sometimes when I get the cysts in a matter of days, so I am extremely bloated, gassy, painful, etc. I want someone to tell me how to prevent these annoying cysts, especially since I cannot be on birth control which makes everything so much more complicated. And to make matters worse besides me being utterly exhausted at all hours of the day, I was pushing myself to work out and eat extremely healthy. I worked out 4-5 days a week and stayed on a 1200-1400 a day calorie diet for 7 months and lost absolutely no weight. To me that makes me feel like another thyroid issue, but when that many people tell you your thyroid is normal, how many more doctors do I have to go to that will tell me the same thing? I am just so fed up, sorry for the rant.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quite a few hypothyroid patients here on Healthboards have complained of being under dosed by endocrinologists. You would think they would be the best doctors for treating thyroid disorders. But it seems so many are more into diabetes treatments and tend to be "stingy" with the thyroid meds.

Do you have a primary care doctor who would be willing to oversee your care and prescribe your thyroid meds? I've read that the healthiest people have a TSH around 1.5 or at least under 2. But again TSH doesn't tell the whole picture. With your low / bottom of the range free T4, you would more than likely benefit from a higher dose. Typically you'd want the free T4 to be at least midpoint. Ranges can vary somewhat by lab but a fairly typical range for free T4 is .82-1.77 so you'd probably feel so much better with a level of at least 1.29.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
    pearlgarden
    (female)

pearlgarden HB User

I figured it should probably be somewhere in the middle. I am in the process of changing PCPs so I can see what the new one says and hopefully can help me out. Thank you for your response and advice!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
    Pixi8413
    (female)

Pixi8413 HB User

I have never shown irregularities but I just want to say I get similar situations with pain during "cysts" about 2-4 times a year. Postpartum it has been happening the last 4-5 months or so.

It feels better to know I'm not alone.

I am going to try DIM + CDG supplement for estrogen metabolism (although I hear these are bad for hypothyroid individuals) and cleaning up my diet. I used to be disciplined in low dairy and grains but fell off the wagon about 2 years ago. And I think it made a subtle but palpable difference.

Closed Thread

Tags
    gastro intestinal, ovarian cyst, pcos