It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Questions about heavy periods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
    heyytheree
    (female)

heyytheree HB User
    Questions about heavy periods

Whenever I get my period, it is so uncomfortable that I don't even want to sit down because I know when I standup I will feel a gush of blood and have to rush to get to a bathroom in time. It is so uncomfortable that I won't even make plans when I know should have my period because I feel like I can't sit down for an extended amount of time. I am a teacher and standing and walking around for 42 minutes each period while teaching is even uncomfortable for me. It is worse when I am sitting down for the whole 42 minutes and I have to rush to the bathroom when the bell rings and hope that I can get to the bathroom without being stopped in the hallway. I have taken off work for this reason in the past but I can't really afford to take off whenever I have my period. I don't know if this is normal or if I should think about seeing a doctor. I am only 24 years old and not on birth control or anything like that.

Last edited by heyytheree; 06-02-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Questions about heavy periods

It is normal for many women. I was that way - 7-8 day period with flooding for 2-3 days. 2 super tampons at a time. Birth control can help. I'd see your gyno and have a talk about it.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Questions about heavy periods

Unfortunately, heavy periods are the norm for some women. Contraceptives can make a big difference. And there are also some non-hormonal meds that have been shown to reduce bleeding such as prescription strength NSAID's and tranexamic acid (Lysteda) but taking one of these meds regularly may not be good.

You could try using a menstrual cup. They hold a bit more than a tampon. There are a number of sizes and brands. Some are disposable, others reusable.

Closed Thread

Tags
    general health, menstruation, period