It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Persistent UTI, Comes Back While Taking Bacteria Sensitive Antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #1
    Pear7
    (female)

Pear7 HB User
    Persistent UTI, Comes Back While Taking Bacteria Sensitive Antibiotics

Hi There,

I'm a 32 year old female and am relatively healthy except that I'm also dealing with a challenging root canal. About a month ago I contracted a UTI with symptoms of burning during urination, frequency, abdominal and back pain. I've had UTIs in the past, but they typically didn't reoccur and responded well to antibiotics. This UTI originally did not show up in the sensitivity test or the culture, but I was prescribed Macrobid which had worked previously for seven days. The Macrobid cleared up the infection well for about four days and then stopped working. In the meantime I went on a two week vacation out of the country so I grabbed some D-Mannose. The D-Mannose kept my symptoms at bay for the entirety of the trip. When I got back the symptoms came back and sent me to urgent care. At urgent care they tested my urine again and found 40,000 cfu/ml Klebsiella pneumoniae. They put me on Cefdinir, which the infection should have been sensitive to, and I got a referral to a urologist. At that time they did a CT scan to see if the infection had spread and everything looked normal.

The Cefdinir was rough. Lots of side effects, but it took away the immediate symptoms for about 2.5 days. Then the symptoms came back in full force. I started taking D-Mannose, grapefruit seed extract, and Uva Ursi which helped get me through a bit. The Urologist then put me on Bactrim. The Bactrim took time to kick in, but worked. Now 6 days into a 7 day prescription the symptoms have again come back. I was scheduled to do a cystoscopy last week, but cancelled because I was feeling so much better. I don't know why antibiotics aren't working. I've had my urine tested and cultured multiple times and the bacteria only showed up once. Could I have a bacteria resistant UTI? Could it be something else?

I've reached out to the Urologist again to see if I can reschedule the cysto. In the meantime all of my natural remedies have stopped being effective. The only thing that's relieving the symptoms is Azo. I'm not sure what else to do. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
    LittleOne9
    (female)

LittleOne9 HB User
    Re: Persistent UTI, Comes Back While Taking Bacteria Sensitive Antibiotics

I had recurrent UTIs in my past. I would get them at least twice or three times a year! I finally went to a urologist a couple months ago. They did a cystoscopy and CT scan. Found nothing unusual. My urologist still put me on a low dose of bactrim (antibiotic) for three months. I took one at night everyday. Ever since then I havenít had a uti! Except now I still have burning after urinating. Went to the urologist and doctors twice and they said negative for uti. Donít know what could be causing this for me. I would ask your urologist about being on bactim for three months and see what they say. I know what youíre going through. Itís a pain. Donít give up!!! Best wishes!

Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Persistent UTI, Comes Back While Taking Bacteria Sensitive Antibiotics

I have been through the mill with UTIs/vag. yeast. I'm talking several years (2014-2017) of 1 of those infections average every month; sometimes more. I went to a urologist then found a urogynocologist because I got sick of being punted from uro to gyno and back again. Had some tests, tried some Elmiron (got scared of more chronic meds affecting my liver so had her back off), went to urogyn who mostly just kept finding more infections to treat. (I can hardly ever tell between UTI and yeast, BTW.) Living on AZO alot and keeping Monistat handy in case I thought it was yeast.

Then finally my urogyn last year suggested we try a new chronic med to help PREVENT. No, it's not an antibiotic (which he had mentioned many times as option).

It's methenamine (generic apparently for Hiprex). This is the FIRST time of MANY (even now I'm fighting yet another mystery condition elsewhere) issues and solutions that something actually has helped me.

It has been a God-send. It's basically an acid pill that makes it hard for those bacteria to live and thrive. It's blue/green so it colors your urine (and also can really stain anything it touches), but I'll take it. Since last summer hardly any infections. I think maybe 1 or 2. Before that, I swear sometimes 2 a month. It was agony.

Anyway, I know this was long and you've only been suffering for a month, but keep this in mind in case this turns into "intractable UTI" or some such. As for you, you might just be having a bad round with your chemistry. Keep trying - Cipro?

Closed Thread

Tags
    antibiotic resistant infection, urinary track infection