It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Heavy Period

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
    meacham23
    (female)

meacham23 HB User
    Exclamation Heavy Period

I'm just going to jump right in and hopefully someone will have some insight as to what is going on.

A year or two after I first started my period, I was always a heavy bleeder. At least, I thought I was. I was always using a size super tampon and a pad for just in case. That was 14 years ago. I'm 26 now and last year I lost my mom to cancer. Since I have lost my mom, my periods have gotten heavier. I have upgraded to size Ultra tampons (when I can find them). In December of last year I had gotten my period and was going through tampons left and right. My husband and I made a quick trip to see his parents, only 4 hours away from where we were living, and I had to stop mid way there to change and then had to change again when we got there. I thought maybe all of this was due to stress, so I chalked it up to that and moved on.

My periods are irregular and always have been. I can have my period one month and not the next and so on. Lately, they have been showing up in a weird way. Towards the end of September of this year, I had gotten what I thought was a period. I was bleeding, but not normally. It was pretty light and eventually stopped a little over a week after starting. I just started again last week. The 19th I believe. My period is still very heavy. I have only used 2 or 3 tampons during this entire cycle and they still fill up fairly quickly. I have resorted to using pads, and usually the thick ones, because they seem to hold more blood than a tampon. I am used to having clotting during my period, but during this cycle I have experienced very large clots. I am used to getting rid of clots when I use the bathroom. Before I say anything else, I am sorry for how gross this may sound, but I really don't know how else to word it. The last time I went to the bathroom I felt like I pooped a clot out of my vagina. I am aware of how it feels when you lose clots when you go pee and it's usually a quick little plop and it's out. This time I felt it coming out and it just kept going. I wound up pushing and the rest finally came out, but I have never lost a clot that huge before.

Is this normal? Am I freaking out over nothing? As far as size goes, it was probably just a little bigger than a half dollar. I'm not on any medications and I don't take birth control. I've never been pregnant, so there's no possibility of miscarriage. Just not sure what I should do at this point.

Sorry for the novel. Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Heavy Period

Sounds normal for heavy bleeding. You could try birth control to regulate that.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I tended to have heavy periods too sometimes with clots. If you don't want to use contraceptives or non-hormonal meds to reduce bleeding you could try using a menstrual cup. They're supposed to hold more blood than a tampon. I haven't personally used one though.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
    jeanie80
    (female)

jeanie80 HB User

I actually had a similar issue with my last period. I take birth control pills, but because of my work I usually take them continuously (for about 3 years now) so I don't get a period every month and then if I have breakthrough bleeding and a weekend when I can deal with my usual two days of heavy flow, then I'll lay off the pills to let nature takes its course. But even my heavy days aren't like this time.

Usually I'd get those biggest clots spread out over the first two days. I'll go through a super tampon in about 3 hours with maybe one or two over those days soaked through in an hour due to a larger clot. This time? Instead of my usual 5 day period of 2 heavy, 2 moderate, and one light day it was like the flood gates opened and my body inexplicably decided that for two days in a row between noon and 6 pm like 90% of my flow was ALL going to come out. Clot after clot without the usual spacing between had me literally just decide to sit on the toilet with my laptop for like 3 hours rather than soak through tampons and pads and throw that money down the drain with my clots and blood flow! I didn't even see a point in breaking out the Ultras it was so heavy, though maybe I should have done just to see how long one would have lasted.

There was no pushing involved, but I definitely felt the clots. When the crazy heavy flow began I was in the kitchen making lunch and I could feel a clot sliding down and knew I had to run to the bathroom before it breached my tampon and made a mess. Sure enough, the tampon was soaked, but it all just kept coming for hours. No cramps, just half a period's worth of cloths in a few hours and then the exact same thing the exact same time the following day!

One thing I did remember from my previous 2 periods that was a bit unusual was a similar "same time" situation where the usual amount of heavy part of my cycle those first 2 days started at EXACTLY 2 in the afternoon both days and the next period EXACTLY 2 in the morning those two days! I can't remember my period before then ever being so time specific with flow change whether I was on birth control or not. The time specific part is helpful. The flow rate this time? Definitely not at all.

Was it stress? A hormonal issue because I've started taking Melatonin to deal with sleep problems? Or is this just some pre-menopausal thing since I'm almost 38?

Closed Thread

Tags
    clotting, heavy bleeding, period