It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Abdominal/pelvic Ultrasound has made me anxious please help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
    brightstar01
    (female)

brightstar01 HB User
    Exclamation Abdominal/pelvic Ultrasound has made me anxious please help

Hi guys...

Today l had a abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. Before the ultrasound i asked the sonographer if she could tell me if she sees anything abnormal. She said no. And that she has to go through the images at the end and send a report to my doctor. She took so many images. I have never had a ultrasound before and i felt so nervous. She said she was unable to tell me if everything looks ok incase she was to find somthing when doing the report after the ultrasound. I could not help but ask when she was scanning my ovarys if they looked ok.. and again was told she could not tell me. When it ended she could not tell me anything. And just said to see my doctor in 7 days for the results. I now feel really sick and anxious thinking that she had seen somthing bad. Is this standard for ultrasounds? Are they not aloud to discuss anything? Please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Abdominal /pelvic Ultrasound has made me anxious please help

Yes brightstar01, the technicians are not allowed to give any information about your testing. This is true with any sort of test you may have done where there is no Dr. specifically there to review and consult with a patient afterwards. The Ultrasound Tech. did nothing wrong and was following proper protocol.

So please try to relax and see what your Dr. has to say about the Ultrasound results.

Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
    brightstar01 (02-12-2019)
    Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
    brightstar01
    (female)

brightstar01 HB User

Thank you replying. Are they not aloud to mention regardless of whether they find somthing or not?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear brightstar,
    Imaging techs are not allowed by law to tell us anything; it is illegal for them to say because usually biopsies are required to find out if there is any disease and what kind it might be.
    Techs would only be guessing. What may appear abnormal to one person may be totally normal.

Techs do not always even know for sure what they are looking at. You would not want to be told wrong information would you? Try to make yourself relax. Breathe slowly; drink some camomile tea. You will get through this.

It is good to wait for the proper diagnosis.

Hugs,

Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Absolutely not allowed. They can lose their jobs over this. A radiologist has to read the scans/etc and report to the doctor. Just like getting a mammogram.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
    brightstar01
    (female)

brightstar01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Absolutely not allowed. They can lose their jobs over this. A radiologist has to read the scans/etc and report to the doctor. Just like getting a mammogram.
    Is it the same for ultrasounds in all countrys as im based in the uk?
    Im do worried about this. I was wondering whether she didnt want to discuss with me until she had a detailed report to cover her self x

Old 02-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Absolutely, brightstar.
    Techs are NOT doctors, and they have no legal right to diagnose.
    What a tech thinks a scan means does not mean the tech is right. Techs have no business guessing or stating a guess.

Your tech did the right thing.
    Relax.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know but it's the norm here in the US and I can't imagine that it wouldn't be there. My gosh...they aren't trained on what but rather where. Big difference.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Brightstar, techs are not allowed anywhere to discuss what they see on a test. Because they are not medically trained, they do not always know if things are normal or not, and you certainly wouldn't want her telling you everything was normal if it wasn't or vice-versa, you wouldn't want someone telling you they see a problem if in reality, nothing was wrong.

The good news is that your doctor is going to be reviewing these in less than 72 hours. If there is an urgent problem, the doctors office will call you to have you come in sooner than a week from now. So, no news is usually good news. Urgent concerns are addressed urgently- not in a week.

Try to not to worry. Hang in there and let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
    brightstar01
    (female)

brightstar01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Brightstar, techs are not allowed anywhere to discuss what they see on a test. Because they are not medically trained, they do not always know if things are normal or not, and you certainly wouldn't want her telling you everything was normal if it wasn't or vice-versa, you wouldn't want someone telling you they see a problem if in reality, nothing was wrong.

The good news is that your doctor is going to be reviewing these in less than 72 hours. If there is an urgent problem, the doctors office will call you to have you come in sooner than a week from now. So, no news is usually good news. Urgent concerns are addressed urgently- not in a week.

Try to not to worry. Hang in there and let us know how it turns out.
    Hello. Just thought i would post a update. My results came back normal. Nothing abnormal found. X

Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #11
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Abdominal/pelvic Ultrasound has made me anxious please help

Glad to hear it.

Reply Reply