It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Complex Ovarian Cyst Need Help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
    gunnysmum
    (female)

gunnysmum HB User
    Complex Ovarian Cyst Need Help

Hello to whoever has the patience to listen. I have been experiencing severe pelvic pain for just over 3 years. I am British, 45, currently living in the US without health insurance and at my whit's end. Three year's ago, I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. It appeared to be functional. My periods were all over the place. Three years on, the cyst is now complex with an internal wall. The cyst is 3 cm x 2 cm, but contains 15 ml of fluid. It is growing very slightly and does not appear to be resolving. The pelvic and lower back pain is now relentless. The pain extends from the bottom of my pelvis to the top of my hip on one side. I have not had a period for 4 months. The last time I had intercourse, which was 4 months ago, I experience intense lower back and pelvic pain for 2 weeks. I also bled heavily for 8 days. I have not had a period since. I have had an endometrial biopsy, which was normal, and I have had regular pap smears, which were also normal. I now have no sexual drive whatsoever. The gynecologist that I am currently seeing has reviewed my ultrasound scan. He told me that the cyst was nothing to worry about. When I asked him about the intense pain after intercourse, he said that it was probably pressure on the cyst, but he could not explain the bleeding. He told me that he could do a laparoscopic procedure to investigate and take out the ovary if need be. He also told me that he could not tell me what was causing the pain unless I had the surgery. He has not offered any kind of antigen test or hormone test. I do not want to lose my ovary, but I am convinced that it is the ovary that is causing the pain. Any advice would be most appreciated. If there is someone out there who could take a look at the ultrasound scans and give me a second opinion? Thank you for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Complex Ovarian Cyst Need Help

Have you tried hormone therapy to reduce the cyst? You don't mention that. Also, there are surgeons who are able to remove just the cyst and not the entire ovary. If your doc can't, ask around for one who can.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear gunnysmum,

You can check with any Gyn group to request a second opinion.
    Unfortunately removing the ovary may be the only solution.

You will have to pay out of pocket if you have no insurance.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

It is surprising how some small cysts can cause so much pain for some women and others have large cysts that are not painful. Sometimes they will drain fluid filled cysts. There are surgeons who can remove just the cyst (cystectomy) so that you can keep your ovary or at least enough of it for its lifelong hormone production. Removal of even one ovary is associated with some increased health risks.

Reply Reply

Tags
    ovarain pain, ovarian cancer, ovarian cyst, ovarian mass, ovary