It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Did she check for PID?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
    Fieldhockey239
    (female)

Fieldhockey239 HB User
    Unhappy Did she check for PID?

I went to urgent care last week because I had weird vaginal discharge and itchiness. The doctor did a pelvic exam and opened me up with a speculum and swabbed my vagina. She didn't use her fingers or anything to feel around. After the pelvic exam, I asked her if she saw anything concerning. She said I had funky discharge that looked like a yeast infection, but I didn't see anything bleeding or any inflammation. I got my test results back and I tested positive for a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis (BV) but tested negative for all STDs. I read online that BV can cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). I'm freaking out that I have PID. I'm not sure if she would be able to tell by opening me up if I have PID or she would have to use her fingers to feel around. I have dull (not painful) lower abdominal pain. I have IBS though and I keep passing a lot of gas and burping so I think I could be having an IBS flare up. I called the urgent care's hotline and they said if I had PID I'd be in unbearable pain, but I read differently online. I also read online that if the BV bacteria (aerobic bacteria) got into the fallopian tubes you would be in an immense amount of pain which is a different bacteria than let's say chlamydia bacteria got into the fallopian tubes you might not be in that much pain. As you can tell, I am freaking out that I have PID!! I really don't feel like paying to go back to urgent care to get another pelvic exam if nothing is wrong. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Did she check for PID?

I think,based on your symptoms and testing, that you have a yeast infection and BV. Take your meds as directed and all should be fine. If you have a sex partner, be sure they get treated as well so you don't pass it back and forth.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Fieldhockey,

Hon, it really isn't helpful to our health to allow ourselves to freak out so stay off the internet searches. It really is not productive to imagine every possible scenario. You need to rest. Meds take some time to do their job.

There are some over the counter products that help get the vaginal parts rebalanced available at pharmacies and you can ask any pharmacy technician to show you where they are located.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

There is no reason to assume PID unless you continue to have pain, which is actually pretty severe pain... weeks after your infection clears up.

Take the meds, do not pass this back and forth to your partner if you have one- they too need to be treated- and have faith that the medication will clear everything up.

Talk to your gyn or doctor about how to avoid getting these infections moving forward. Make sure you are not sitting around in wet bathing suits, or if you work out you come home and shower afterwards..sweat and moist conditions down there can cause yeast...keep things dry and clean. Also, this is transferred from partner to partner, so remember that as well.

BV is bacterial where yeast is fungal, you have two different conditions going on. Take both drugs for the time they are prescribed. You'll feel 100x better once this clears up.

Reply Reply

Tags
    bacterial vaginosis, pid