It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Need Info About Pessaries

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
    KateH2b1
    (female)

KateH2b1 HB User
    Need Info About Pessaries

I'm asking this for my Grandma.

She was given a pessary for incontinence several years ago. It does not seem to be working anymore. Her new doctor says we can try going without the pessary.

Here's what I can't seem to get a clear answer on: Just because a pessary is used for incontinence, does that mean the person also has pelvic organ prolapse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
    Tree Frog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
    Re: Need Info About Pessaries

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry that grandma needs to be there.
    Is there any way you can take her to a doctor of your choice? I do not trust the on-call doctors that are working for the needs of the facility. That is usually more important to them than the needs of the patients.

Grandma need to be seen by a gynecologist, who may then recommend a gynecological surgeon for evaluation. Organ prolapse is very common in females, and grandma may benefit from just having her female organs removed. That kind of doctor can decide. I have had a hysterectomy due to prolapsing, myself. It was not a big deal.

I would not leave her with doctors that don't regularly remove and clean the pessary.

If grandma needs the pessary for incontinence do you want to cause her that again by removing the pessary? That said, it still should regularly be removed for cleaning and to make sure it is effective. If it is not effective something else needs to be done.

Reply Reply

« Premphase | - »