It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Ovary cyst question - very scared

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
    stellaalex
    (female)

stellaalex HB User
    Ovary question

Hello everyone, I need someone to talk me down please. Last Monday, out of nowhere, I started getting extremely bad lower abdominal pains that spread to my lower back as well. Ended up going to the ER, many blood tests, and a CT scan later, diagnosis; 3 cm left ovarian mass, with layering of dense material, most likely representing hemorrhagic cyst. After talking with the ER doctor, she assured me that the pain would go away in a few days. My problem is that I cannot stop worrying about ovarian cancer. I am 49, and my periods have been erratic for the past few years. Next month will be 1 whole year without a period so I guess that would make me officially menopausal. I know I shouldn’t be on the internet reading about this stuff, but it says menopausal women shouldn’t technically have cysts on their ovaries anymore because there is no ovulation. So that’s why I am worried. I did have a follow-up with my GYN the very following day and she saw the report and told me not to give it a second thought and basically told me “see you next year for your annual”! I guess the fact that she isn’t worries makes me feel better, but my health anxiety has taken over. Anyone else have any similar experience with ovarian cysts? What worries me even more is that I had a US last year and there were absolutely no cysts at all and now all of sudden a 3 cm cyst pops up out of nowhere. I always thought post menopausal women didn't get cysts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
    sgtgrl
    (female)

sgtgrl HB User
    Re: Ovary question

I had A hemorrhagic cyst. It’s common. They can see the difference in cysts particularly well on CT so if the ER AND your obgyn aren’t concerned, then you shouldn’t be either

Old 10-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Ovary cyst question - very scared

Gosh.Lots of assumptions here that aren't valid. Cysts on ovaries are very common and normally dissolve on their own. Some women get them almost every month. And yes, one CAN ovulate after menopause. Besides, your aren't post menopausal anyway. So throw all that away, listen to your gyno and go see her next year. All is normal.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Ovary cyst question - very scared

Don't believe everything you read on the net.. I am through menopause and still get cysts on my ovaries and yes,- the pain is so bad it can cripple you.

I went to the ER thinking I was having a appendicitis attack the first time I felt this pain... Cysts rupture on their own- when that happens, the fluid is reabsorbed into your body and the pain goes away instantly!~ thats why they told you that you will feel better in a few days.

Hang in there- heating pads sometimes help.

Reply Reply