It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Bad Pap - LSIL to ASC-H in 9 months! Need advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
    SIgirl
    (female)

SIgirl HB User
    Bad Pap - LSIL to ASC-H in 9 months! Need advice

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Health Boards, and I guess I'm looking to connect with others who may be going through the same thing as I am right now.

I am 36, and no kids.
    I have had yearly exams since I was 16.

October 2018 - I went for my yearly exam thinking everything would fine as it always has been in the past, unfortunately that was not the case. I received a letter from my gynecologist's office that invited my for a colposcopy and biopsy. So I call to schedule and appointment ASAP only to find out that my doctor requires 3 months from the time of a pap to the time of a colposcopy. I was far from happy to wait that long. I had never had an abnormal pap until now, and was understandably frightened.

January 2019 - The colposcopy and biopsy was not as bad as what I thought it would be, actually was painless for the most part. She took two punch biopsies and scraped my cervical canal. I had very little bleeding afterwards and really no pain or soreness.

My doctor called me in less than 24 hours with my results
    Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL)
    HPV Genotype 16 - Detected

My doctor told me that we would monitor it and to come back for another pap in October.

October 2019 - Had my yearly exam. I crossed my fingers that everything would be back to normal, unfortunately that was not the case. It came back
    Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance, cannot exclude high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (ASC-H) and still positive for HPV 16.

I go back in December for yet another colposcopy and biopsy.

I know I'm probably worrying excessively at this point, and I understand that it has most likely not reached the point of being cancer, but I'm just so worried and the more information I have that better I feel. Any feedback or experiences welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-30-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Re: Bad Pap - LSIL to ASC-H in 9 months! Need advice

Hi SIgirl,

I was given what seemed like dire news about Hepatitis C that I got from a transfusion many years before they regularly began testing blood for Hep C.

Back then Hep C was considered almost like a death sentence. However, many years after that I was still doing well, and then more years later I was cured of the Hep C by a new drug, and it is 100% gone. The Hep. C was something to consider (and not compromise my liver with toxins like alcohol) but now I am 100% cured and also I never ever had liver failure. My liver is healthy.

What I have learned since then is that doctors look for something to be wrong. That's fine and good, except when they don't always make it clear whether there is something to worry about and do, and they often don't explain when they are just being proactive.

Being proactive and getting checkups is good to do. However, worry can absolutely destroy our health and well-being. I think you need to have a good talk with your doctor, maybe even get an opinion outside of that medical group (because doctors within a group tend to support each other and another doctor in a different medical group can have a fresh point of view). Be sure to explain your worries and concerns to your doctors. Don't just carny them around comparing your situation to other people's experiences. Theirs are not going to be the same as yours.

Hold onto this thought -"Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance" and do not let your imagination go wild.

It really doesn't matter what others are going through so much as for sure knowing our own state of health. If you begin researching what occurred to others, all that will happen is you will learn all sorts of different experiences that have nothing to do with your own case.

It is far better to get opinion outside that medial group, and to follow up and keep your appointments just to keep tabs on what may (OR MAY NOT) be happening. Let us know how you are doing!

Old 12-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
    sjaniano
    (female)

sjaniano HB User
    Re: Bad Pap - LSIL to ASC-H in 9 months! Need advice

hi, i know its been a couple months since this post but i had a similar situation and diagnosis. you should request a cervical laser ablation or a leep procedure- whichever one is fitting for your specific caae. that takes the damaged cells off your cervix, or really the whole top layer off, and essentially give you a clean slate. it doesnt mean you cant have abnormal cells again in the future (i have hpv too so i know how much that sucks) but it makes it much less likely. i had it done and it was one of my better decisions.

Reply Reply