It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Don't know what to do

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
    KetoGranny
    (female)

KetoGranny HB User
    Don't know what to do

I am 10 years postmenopause and had some spotting that would come and go. I had an ultrasound, and the uterine lining was 5.6. They tried to do a biopsy, but the pain was excruciating, so I had a D & C and hysteroscopy under general anesthesia. The doctor said the bleeding wasn't coming from the uterus, and that everything looked OK. Apparently it was caused by vaginal atrophy, and I actually had to have stitches after the procedure. I thought I was in the clear, but the pathologist report came back with a small atypical cell fragment.

The doctor is going to talk to an oncologist, and she and I will talk later this week. The options she mentioned were another D&C later (not at all pleasant, since I had some tearing the first time, and my cervix was tightly closed), or a hysterectomy.

I feel that I'm going to have to make an important decision based on very little information. I am approaching 70 (yes, I had a late menopause), and I think everybody has some atypical cells by the time they are my age. I'm still having discomfort from the atrophy and recently started bleeding a little. I don't want to have major surgery if it's not necessary. Anybody have an experience like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Don't know what to do

Did you have sex within 24 hours of the D & C? Did you take a bubble bath or clean with a vaginal wash of some sort? These things can cause this.

I think I would try some estrogen in some form - cream probably - to help with the atrophy so another procedure wouldn't be so painful

Old 08-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
    KetoGranny
    (female)

KetoGranny HB User
    Re: Don't know what to do

No, I had not done any of those things. The more I think about it, the less likely I am willing to undergo any more procedures based on one small atypical cell fragment. If anything, I will get a second opinion from a different pathologist. From what I have read, endometrial tissue is often misdiagnosed and women have hysterectomies when there is no need.

If my doctor wants me to have another D & C, I will have to think long and hard about it, because I am still having issues from the one she did. I think I might even have a vaginal hematoma.

I just started the estrogen cream last night. I hope it works. Thanks for your reply to my post.

Reply Reply

Tags
    bleeding ;after menopause;biopsy;high estrogen;, lining, uterine cancer