It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Menstrual bleeding nonstop for a week

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Menstrual bleeding nonstop for a week

I know itís possible to bleed for about a week but itís very unusual for me. My periods are typically about 3 days. I was late and when it began, there was just spotting with almost all brown discharge for 3 days. Then some bleeding but still had discharge. Another 3 days, still bleeding but a lot less discharge. Since then, discharge has been more or less and Iím still bleeding new fresh blood (blood was wet) and Iím still changing tampons every 4 hours for a whole week now.

Iím 41 and got diagnosed with small fibroids and endometrial polyps and Iím scheduled to get the polyps removed. I know they can cause heavy and irregular bleeding and cycles but this time feels out of control. I called my gynecologist yesterday morning and no one has called me back. So Iím unsettled because this never lasted this long and my phone calls havenít been returned. Should I actually keep on bleeding until I run out of tampons before I have to buy more??? How do women probably in peri menopause deal with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Menstrual bleeding nonstop for a week

It's not unusual, but you should be checked by your gyne to make sure nothing else is going on.
    Absolutely, be over prepared with the products you will need.

My friend had continual bleeding for very long periods, checked by her gyne, and was put on hormone meds to regulate her cycle. She is now menopause with no period for over a year...however, she recently had a period and will have to be checked again in case there is anything else more serious going on.

Keep us updated. I would call again...but make an appt regardless.

q

Old 08-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Dark brown blood is simply old blood that wasn't expelled in a preevious period. You are at the age when periods can become irregular as menopause comes into the picture. Additionally fobroids and polyps can cause bleeding. It doesn't sound like anything unusual is going on. When is the procedure for the polyps and fibroids?

Old 08-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Dark brown blood is simply old blood that wasn't expelled in a preevious period. You are at the age when periods can become irregular as menopause comes into the picture. Additionally fobroids and polyps can cause bleeding. It doesn't sound like anything unusual is going on. When is the procedure for the polyps and fibroids?
    September 1st. Iím having to change tampons every 4 to 8 hours and havenít seen a clean dry tampon (unless I donít put one in lol) in about 10 days straight. No breaks from bleeding at all. The bleeding is just continuous and non stop. Sometimes Iíll see new fresh blood coming. I actually posted too soon. My gynecologist called me back and said this is all typical because of the fibroids and polyps. Fortunately, Iím bleeding enough that I only need regular tampons rather than Super or Super Plus and have no symptoms of losing too much blood like dizziness or anything like that.

If this is how peri menopause works, it sure is crazy!

Old 08-17-2022, 03:35 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Birth control - if you are so inclined - can help with the peri symptoms in general. Good luck!

Reply Reply