It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

confused and need advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 232
susgan HB User
Post confused and need advice

I am 42, have been seen yearly by my gyn. since 16. I have always trusted them, but lately am becoming unsure. I have been experiencing so many symptoms that I feel are signs of menopause, but they disagree. I feel as if I am on an emotional roller coaster, can't sleep at night, at one point at night I am a ball of sweat, then from sweating I then freeze about 20 min. later, my periods ar very erractic (have been since I was 39). I only have 6-7 a year, and they have dropped in legnth, and flow.
The doc. wanted to put me on Sarafem, but I am not one to take meds. easily. I have requested bllod test to see if my hormome levels have changed, and they refused saying it was TOTALLY unnecessary. Any advice? Is all this just perimenopause? Is this the beginning to all the fun, or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-22-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 40
winesnob HB User

find a new dr. that is willing to listen and communicate with you. Your symptoms could go either way...perimenopause or the beginning of menopause. You need a new dr.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 33
Adele HB User

I just turned 49 and have been having problems like yours for years. My regular gyno is mostly a baby doctor so her solution for anything she can't do for such pre-menopause symptoms (which is only to prescribe birth control bills) is hysterectomy. We need doctors who are more specialized in this area; there are few. I believe I know more than my gyno about my problems. My saving grace is a naturopath, who suggested taking the saliva test and who can get you made-to-order-for-you-only natural hormones (not the synthetic kind in birth control pills). Naturopaths can also help you with vitamins and supplements to help with sleeping and anxiety problems.

Old 01-22-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 47
elephantlvr HB User

In am 43 and have been having the same types of symptoms as you. The difference with me is that I am on birth control pills and only had the symptoms when I was taking the inactive pills. The solution was my doctor gave me Premarin to take with the inactive pills. He started me on a lower dosage, but now I take one .625 each day (when on the inactive pills) If I do not take them. I have terrible headaches, feel overheated, canít sleep. Another symptom is getting vaginal infections. Which I have been battling since July 2002.

The only way to test if Iím in peri-menopause, is to get off the pill and then a blood test can be done. I do not want to get off the pill just to find out. But my doctor did seem to be willing to test me.

I did research a bit about peri-menopause and it appears to happen near the same age in families. My mother did not have a normal menopause. The doctor decided after I was born that she should not have other children. (Should I take that personally?) And she did not remember about her mother. I have two sisters. Both are showing signs as I am. One sister is three years older the other two years older.

So, I think it happens earlier in my family. Iím the youngest and the only one who does not have children. I think I felt the symptoms more then they do.

A lady that works with me is a good ten years older then I and she is having the same symptoms and her doctor tells her that she is not in the peri-menopause stage.

I agree that we need doctors to specialize in this. Itís obvious to me that they really canít tell us that we do not feel as we do.

Good luck to you. I think you should find another doctor. I know it's a challege, but I learned the hard way that you should not continue to go to a doctor that doesn't care about your health.


Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
CONFUSED with THYROID readings?? I need help? meds do nto seem to be working? bluetou Thyroid Disorders 17 05-12-2011 07:18 PM
Need advice on feeling of emptiness lizoza Depression 20 04-21-2010 03:00 PM
confused...girlfriend's rape floridasfinest Mental Health 3 04-21-2010 09:22 AM
Help! I'm confused! 00lady00 Relationship Health 4 04-10-2010 09:32 AM
Confused about Infertility Treatments(Fixing to See IF Doc) jessielaine Infertility 2 05-17-2008 09:24 AM
Confused - need advice! holahanson Relationship Health 9 08-31-2007 08:36 AM
Confused need Advice mink Pain Management 3 09-17-2005 09:21 AM
Very Confused/need Someone To Set Me Straight... BECKYAO Exercise & Fitness 5 08-10-2005 09:21 PM
Confused Marriage Need some advice from other couples.... daystar91 Relationship Health 1 06-25-2005 02:44 PM
I am so confused...I really need a little advice Im_Robyn Relationship Health 55 06-14-2004 09:33 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!