It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Anyone familiar w/ breast cancer?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
myloathe
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Post Anyone familiar w/ breast cancer?

Hello all. i'm writing here, mainly to find answers from anyone familiar with this. I'll try not to make it so long.
Last October, my cousin had a baby. Not too long after, she noticed that after taking those pills to dry up your breast milk, she felt a lump. She is really afraid of doctors and just assumed it would go away. Well, it was May and she noticed it was still there, and bigger. She still didn't say anything, paranoid because her uncle found out in May he had throat cancer and by September he died, so she waited until June to say anything to anyone. Anyway, went to the gyno, got a mammogram, had 2 lumps, went to get a biopsy a week later. The solution that day was that the following week, surgery would be performed, either to just remove that lump, or if it was cancer, take off the breast. A week after that, she went to the oncologist, he said that it had grown in the past 2 weeks and that it was indeed cancer. She had to get all those pretests done and come back July 3rd. When she went, the doctor said that there are 2 lumps, the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, and that he WAS NOT removing anything, that it was too big and too risky, and that she would undergo chemo first.

My question (or questions) is this: Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Should she hurry up and get a 2nd opinion? Any clue as to what stage it is?(her mom said its the size of an egg). I ask this because neither one of them wants to hear anything about stages or percentages so they don't know. Has anyone went through something like this or know of this and would like to share? I would appreciate ANY info you could give. Thank you.
gretchen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I haven't had breast cancer, and thankfully, no one in my family has.

I have heard of all kinds of treatments, but my suggestion is with yours - get to another doc for a 2nd opinion and pronto. Good luck to her, and to you. Oh - and tell her to get over the fear of percentages and info on this stuff - she is going to need all the info she can get.

Closed Thread