It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• taking pills to bring on a period (medroxyprogesterone)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2003, 08:01 AM   #1
    ces369

ces369 HB User
    Question taking pills to bring on a period (medroxyprogesterone)

Hello,

As the 'subject' line states, I have been taking pills in order to bring on my period. I was diagnosed with having PCOS 1 year ago (June/02). Prior to that, I was taking birth control pills, to keep me 'regular'. (I stopped taking the birth control pill in Dec/01) Due to other health issues, I can't take them (bcp) anymore. I started taking 'medroxyprogestorone', in October/02 and had a period.

The following month, my period came on its own!, and continued to do so for another 4 months. My last 'natural' period was in February/03.

I did NOT have a period in March or April. I took the '10 pills' and had a period. After that, no period came again. I started the 'ten pills on July 1. (I did not take a pill on the 10th day, but I did take it on the following day (the 11th) ).

Its now July17 and I have not had a period. This is very strange for me, as I would normally have a period 1 day after the cessation of the 'ten pills'. I'm concerned..

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #2
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
    If you read the information that should have come with your pills you can see that nomrally a period will come within 3 to 10 days of the last pill taken. But sometimes it can waver by a few days either way. I know the first time I took my pills I had a period three days later and the second time it was 11 days after the last pill before I had a period.
    So it can vary even if you have the history you have of taking it and getting periods.
    I also have PCOS. Right now I dont take those pills because I am trying to get pregnant. I am taking different things and so far they are working on making my period come on its own.
    Have you talked to your doctor about the other treatments of PCOS? There are several ways now to normalize the cycles.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
    kbonnieboo

kbonnieboo HB User
    I also have pcos, and I would urge you to consider throwing your bcp's and synthetic progesterone away. In my opinion, they do much more harm than good. Consider natural progesterone cream...I always get my period with it. Also, try running a google search on "estrogen dominance" for more info...

good luck!

kbb

Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
    ces369

ces369 HB User
    Wink

Thanks for your responses.

I took time to read about 'estrogen dominance'. "WOW!!!", is all I can say. I have a lot of the symtoms.

When I'm finished having my period (and I pray that it comes), I will make an appointment with my doctor and ask more questions (I need to be more pro-active)

By the way, is it possible to ask you for the name of the 'cream' that you use?

thanks a bunch,

C

Closed Thread