It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Vaginal Infection

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
ana_24
Veteran

ana_24 HB User
Post Vaginal Infection

For the last few days I noticed a slight discharge with a strong odour and today I went in to see my doctor. She took a swab and told me that I have a very common form of bacterial infection that can easily be treated with a week's worth of the antibiotic Flagyl. I forgot the exact name of the infection. My question is, how long does it take for this to clear up. I'm supposed to be seeing my boyfriend this weekend, starting Friday. It's been about a week and we were really looking forward to a steamy/romantic weekend. Apparently I can't have ANY alcohol while on these pills which is a huge bummer in itself.. but NO SEX either?? lol...
Given that I've just started the antibiotics today, by Friday evening it will have been a full 4 days. My doctor said it takes a "few" days to clear up.. whatever that means. Will it be ok for us to have sex by then or will it throw everything out of wack? We don't use condoms as we are monogomous and I am on the pill. Now I am also worried about getting a yeast infection from the antibiotics since it appears to be a common ocurrance. What are the chances of that happening? I had my first yeast infection ever about 3 months ago and it was HORRIBLE!!! I wouldn't want a repeat. I'm 26 by the way.
Thanks!!!
Ana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
Hi Ana -

I would call the doc and ask her these questions, and make sure you find out what you have. I would say its probably bacterial vaginitis, or gardnerella. They are both very common, and both very much a pain in the neck.

It is VERY important for you not to drink alcohol on Flagyl. It can make you very very sick. Some meds and alcohol might just weaken the effect, or might cause some other problems, but drinking on flagyl is a major no-no.

As far as sex goes, if you MUST have sex this weekend, use condoms. There have been many other threads here talking about re-infection from passing it back and forth, although some doctors say BV can't be passed this way. The other thing about sex is that your vagina is likely irritated, and sex will only make that worse.

Once you get the name of this, do a search on here. If it is BV, there are many horror stories about chronic infection. Reading these stories will certainly provide an incentive to treat this exactly as your doc told you. Also, I think there is a link to some women having yeast infections, and then BV. You'll likely see that in these threads.

Last thing - when a doc gives you an answer like "a few days", why not ask for clarification? No reason for you to leave with questions. You pay this person - make sure you understand everything he/she says to you. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
mlgable
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You should abstain from sex until you have totally finished the antibiotic to be sure it totally cleared up the infection. As for a possible yeast infection post antibiotics. Be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillis capsules to help prevent a yeast infection from occuring. Your birth control is less effective while on antibitiocs so you would have to use a condom anyway if you did have sex. You may want to call the doc and ask if it would be ok to have sex if you used a condom but otherwise no sex until you have finished the antibiotics.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Christyus

Christyus HB User
Check with your doctor cause otherwise you could be playing catch with your man. And if you had sex with your BF right before you noticed this he may be carrying so be careful.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
ana_24
Veteran

ana_24 HB User
Well, it seems that it is gardnerella as jessilynn68 had guessed. I called my doctor and she said that I have a very mild case with no inflamation so sex is ok with a condom.. chances are he won't be infected but to be on the safe side she said we should use it. I don't have any symptoms at all right now..I think even the discharge is gone so hopefully by Friday night all will be cleared up. Of course I will take the full 7 days of antibiotics but by then it will be the end of day 4. Thanks to everyone who answered. You were all very helpful.. and I've been eating yogurt like crazy so hopefully the dreaded yeast infection will be avoided.

Closed Thread