It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

what do you do for bad cramps?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
fairyplatypus
Inactive

fairyplatypus HB User
Post what do you do for bad cramps?

I'm 16 and I get really bad cramps my first, second, and sometimes third day. Any way to make them lessen or something? (without medicine, I mean)
thank you =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Sarah68
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok, you can do stretching exercises and a little gentle exercise. The movement from the exercise can help period pains a lot. When I mean stretching exercises, I mean gentle stretching to stretch out your belly.

If this is too painful, then lie down with a hot water bottle or heat pads on your belly. This will help as the warmth with help your muscles to relax.

If the pain gets too bad, there is a HOMEOPATHIC remedy called MAG PHOS, which is very good for period cramping.

Good luck

Old 07-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Jennifluffer

Jennifluffer HB User
Yes, heat. Heat is good. I remember having cramps so bad, I had to stay home from school once or twice! They would literally make me nauseous!

You know those disposable heat thingies they sell now? They work great!! I used one on my back, and they literally stay hot for hours, though not hot enough to be uncomfortable. You may want to try those for going to work or school, as you can wear them under your clothes and they're much less conspicuous than a water bottle or heating pad. (They have one for the tummy area, as well as the back and neck/shoulders).

And if you're ok with over the counter stuff, Midol actually does work quite well.

Hate to tell ya, but what made the cramps disappear pretty much completely was going on birth control. Doesn't sound like it's an option for you right now, but it may be something for you to consider down the road.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Old 07-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
PaNik5717
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I use bcp's and advil, but another thing I use - kinda along the heat line - is a little peppermint oil. I also use it for headaches. I don't know how I discovered it, but I use a q-tip and rub a little around on my belly and my pressure points in my neck. I have it right in front of my as I type. May not work for you, but it's worth a try if you don't want to take meds.

You can also do an internet search for specific yoga stretches that will help.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
endoIC
Inactive

endoIC HB User
Heating pad and hot baths really help me. Also, watch your diet. I know this is gonna sound horrible and these are all of the things you crave but, stay away from caffeine, sugar and salt. All of which seem to aggravate cramps. Do some research about it online. Increase Vitamin B12, I think it is, this helps also.

Old 07-26-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
Sarah68
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

It is normally Vitamin B6 that is indicated before the start of your period and can help with PMS symptoms. However, taking a B Vitamin complex can be very helpful too and can help to boost your energy again following your period. Some women can become anaemic at this time and you also need to build up your iron stores - Ferritin levels too.

It is also correct that you should stay away from caffeine, salt and sweet foods. Before your period, this can make bloating and fluid retention worse and when you have your period, it can make the pain worse.

Basically, if you eat a good all round healthy diet before your period, then you are less likely to get these food cravings. Plenty of fruit, veg, fish and just a balanced diet can help a lot.

Also, a lot of these cravings are to do with your hormones being out of balance and you can help to regulate these by taking things such as Vitex, Evening Primrose Oil caps and Vitamin B6 or Vitamin B complex. Even including Soya products in your diet can help as these can help regulate hormones.

Good luck

Old 07-27-2003, 12:56 AM   #7
ritamymom

ritamymom HB User
Hi Sarah

I agree with the heat also, that is by far the best remedy. However, I normally can ward off cramps entirely by taking Advil the first couple of days every 4 to 6 hours. I know you don't like taking pills but, it does work!

Good luck!

R

Old 07-27-2003, 02:01 AM   #8
Sarah68
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I was giving all the alternative recommendations, as that is what the original poster asked for. If you read her post again, she does actually say what can I do to help without taking any meds, hence my answer.

However, there are lots of other alternative analgesics to advil,, being either herbal or homeopathic that also work too.

Closed Thread