It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Itchy vaginal area

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
snazzy

snazzy HB User
Post Itchy vaginal area

I've been suffering from an itchy vaginal area for weeks now. Basically the skin is constantly itchy, and if I itch it, the skin actually comes off, and the area becomes red and irritated.

I have no idea what this is. When it first started, I went to my doc and she said it's a yeast infection...but there is no discharge or smell. It's just a itch..sometimes it itches so bad that I *have* to itch it, which just makes it worse.

I've tried creams, like vagisil, but it seems to be only a temporary relief.

Can anyone tell me what this may be, and how I may make it go away??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
SuzyQPA2
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
Did you use yeast infection medication like Miconozale or Clomatrizole from the drug store?

you can buy a combo pack of external cream and internal cream for like under $15. That should solve your problem. It will not go away on it's own if it's a yeast infection. Some people don't get discharge (i don't). There is also an external cream that is clomatrizole and a steroid which helps to dull the pain and inflammation and get rid of the yeast.

There are many things which cause itching....Trich, the Clap, Yeast, Bacteria, lice, i mean your ob/gyn should be able to test you for these things and give you a solid answer if they haven't already.

Forget vagisil, that's not going to do anything for you.

I would also suggest, cotton underwear (use bleach), no pantyhose. Ensure area stays dry, not moist.

Old 07-20-2003, 03:07 AM   #3
Audrey-B
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
The advice Suzy has given is so true. I've had yeast infections numerous times and i don't always get the same symptoms. Applying creams only to the outside wont do much. There are many reasons why you can get yeast infections and there are various ways of getting rid of them. So many posts in this section seem to be about yeast infections, discharge and bacterial vaginitis. Have a look at these posts as so many women suffer from these things at some stage in their life and there is loads of info in the posts.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 AM   #4
Pandabaire3

Pandabaire3 HB User
If your on a constant stream of antibiotics, (like something to treat acne for instance) you can get yeast infections. I was on antibiotics for several years for acne, different kinds. I started taking a stronger dosed one called Minocyclene and starting to get vaginal itching and these little "papercut" looking things down there that would break open and bleed a bit. Just my bodies way of telling me to get off the stuff. After I quit the antibiotics, the yeast infections went away (and yes, I did try over the counter treatments, but the infection would go away and then return every month). I've also heard that if you eat PLAIN yoguart this will help with keeping the yeast infections at bay because of something in the yoguart.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
mlgable
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to see the doc again and get this checked out. You can full well have a yeast or some other infection with no discharge. See your doc and get this taken care of.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
ChicaM

ChicaM HB User
Snazzy,
This is my first post here. I have been experiencing the same problem as you. Except it has been going on since September of last year. I have gone to the doctor several times and all she would give me is hydro-cortisone creme. I would temporarily relieve the itching but it would always come back. Finally I am just fed up with it and asked my doctor if I could try the Mirena IUD. I am currently taking Ortho-tri cycline and I have a 3 year old son. I am hoping that with the estrogen part of the bc out of the picture will help relieve the itching. I'll let you know what comes out of using the IUD.

ChicaM

Old 07-31-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Christyus

Christyus HB User
Lightbulb

I have never heard of a yeast infection minus the discharge. It could be your laundry detergent doing it. It doesn't matter if it's one you've used for along time, it can still do that. I had that problem and thought like you that it was my first yeast infection and my Dr. said well there is no discharge and he did a pap and found no signs of infection. He told me to try different laundry soap. Or I may be using to much soap and it isn't all getting washed out. Outcome: http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Or you should get checked for a urinary tract infection. Which has the same reactions you are having. I got them while pregnant. You don't have to be pregnant to get it.

[This message has been edited by Christyus (edited 07-31-2003).]

Closed Thread