It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Waxing and permanent hair removal

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2003, 06:47 AM   #1
Timber
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Post Waxing and permanent hair removal

I've heard many times that waxing an area repeatedly eventually causes those hairs to stop growing back. Anyone have any idea how long that takes? Years? Months?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
jessilynn68
Veteran

jessilynn68 HB User
I haven't heard this, but I think if you can stand the pain repeatedly, you deserve not to have that hair grow back.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
nunya

nunya HB User
Everyone says this about any method of removing hair by the root, but it depends on the person and on the area. For instance, I have been plucking the same eyebrow hairs almost daily for 15 years, and they still keep growing back, but I have been using an Epilady on my underarms for about 2 months and I would say I have less than half the amount of regrowth I started out with.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Chaotican

Chaotican HB User
I agree - it doesn't always stop growing back. In fact, in my experience, it has always grown back.

I was told once that plucking/waxing can actually make some of your hair thicker. The trauma to the folicle makes the folicle have to heal, which makes it stronger. Like breaking your leg sometimes makes the bones stronger.

Basically, if you want to get rid of the hair forever...well, give up on that! Even electrolysis or laser hair removal isn't really perminent. Maybe science will come up with a way eventually...

Old 08-05-2003, 04:12 AM   #5
Audrey-B
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I noticed excellent results after waxing my underarms for several months straight, but then i got lazy one day and shaved, which was a big mistake. It hurts a little, but i have a very high pain tolerance when it comes to something which will benefit me in the long run and i do all my own waxing at home. Doing it myself saves me money and i do it in my own time.

Waxing has come a long way and there are so many different types, quickly heats in the microwave, washes off in water so less mess and makes the waxing strips reusable. You do get some red bumps, but applying tea tree, aloe vera, ice etc for the redness helps. At least the hair doesn't grow back as fast as it does from shaving and the area is baby smooth for weeks.

It may vary from person to person, but i can say that with constant wax my leg hair has become sparser and even bikini area. I'm 36 and have waxed off and on since my 20's.

Closed Thread