It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

What Kind of Specialist Do I Need?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 9
Chaotican HB User
Post What Kind of Specialist Do I Need?


I had posted earlier about a Bartholin's gland that is again infected even though I had it removed two months ago. I went to the doctor, and they told me that there was probably a microscopic bit of the gland left and it cause the abcess that burst over the weekend. They told me to come back in at the first sign of swelling in the Bartholin's area.

They also told me that I didn't have a yeast infection brewing, though it sure felt that way to me. (I'm not a hypochondriac, I swear!) A second dr. examined me and remarked about my Skene gland inflamation. By about 11pm last night, I no longer had any doubt that I have a yeast infection. I'm speculating that the bacteria from the abscess caused some type of yeast infection. The skin on my labia and all around there hurts and stings and itches.

And now I'm convinced that this has nothing to do with a Bartholin's cyst. This all started with a severe bladder infection - I was peeing blood before I even started to feel any pain. Then I got a boil on my labia, then two episodes of a Bartholin's cyst, a Skene gland infection, and a yeast infection. Plus, I feel a mild soreness in the entire left side of my labia. Kind of like when you get a raised red bump and you KNOW it will be a killer zit within a few days... I've had that feeling constantly for seven months, and periodically a new infection sprouts up.

My theory is that I have some bacteria in my system that is just not dying, despite the fact that I have taken antibiotics. I think that as soon as the bacteria is released through a boil, it infects anything that it touches. The only activity that I can trace back to when this all began is receiving oral sex from a (rather promiscuous, though I'm not, myself) man with a chipped tooth. Maybe he had some major oral bacteria?!

I really want to see a specialist and start trying to get to the bottom of this. I want to see someone who specializes in bacterial infections. I can't find any type of specialist like that. Should I see a urologist?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have an insurance plan that allows me to self-refer to any type of specialist I need, but I don't know what kind to go see! Again, thank you for letting me vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What the heck is wrong with me? takenbylovely Open to All Other Health Topics 3 07-20-2011 07:59 PM
What can we do? 2ndmom Relationship Health 12 04-23-2010 12:14 PM
What should I expect? NanaKim Cancer: Skin 0 04-20-2010 10:36 AM
I think I need a specialist but what kind? webtoedarkie Fibromyalgia 2 01-25-2010 01:19 PM
What kind of doctor? Ol'Line Rebel Sleep Disorders 9 03-12-2007 12:55 PM
Pain and bleed when I am having bowel movement efang Bowel Disorders 3 09-28-2006 06:13 AM
no idea where to begin-- what kind of doctor to see?? NJ alberta24 Spinal Cord Disorders 1 09-12-2006 05:26 AM
What kind of Doctor to see? (Sorry, long) eileen_34 Back Problems 8 12-07-2005 10:37 AM
What are some of you symptoms with PTSD? ainfante Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) 33 09-27-2004 11:22 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!