It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

endometrial biopsy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
hollygirl05
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Post endometrial biopsy

Hi, I have been having periods every 2 weeks for the last couple of months and spotting between periods for 6-8 months. I went to the doctor today but since I started again, she didn't do a pap. She is sending me to a clinic to have an endometrial biopsy. She also said my liver is inflamed. I'll be having some blood work tomorrow for my thyroid and liver. Has anyone ever had an endometrial biopsy done? What should I expect and what does it check for? Is it like a pap? Thanks for any replies. Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
Dianek
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I've had four endometrial biopisies done due to heavy bleeding; irregular at times. It's done to check for cancer as well as hormone levels. Mine all came back fine.

It's just a bit uncomfortable and a quick pinch while the doctor takes a sample from the uterus. It smarts but is over in a few seconds. Some docs recommend taking Motrin before the procedure. You'll have a crampy feeling for a few hours and some light spotting also. You should feel fine later that day, it's really not that bad.

Best of luck; hope it goes fine for you!

Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
hollygirl05
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi Diane, Thanks for your response. I had to go get some blood work today because of my liver being inflamed. My blood pressure and pulse rate are low. I should be getting the results tomorrow. As for the biopsy, I'll be getting that done next month. I'll let you know how it turns out. I will be sure to take something before I go. Glad yours turned out well. Becky

Old 07-26-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
Dawnrise
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Like Dianek said....it's a bit uncomfortable and hurts just a little. I had some cramping during the procedure but afterwards I was fine. No cramping or spotting/bleeding. But everybody is different. It'll be okay.

Old 07-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
MrsKramden

MrsKramden HB User
I had one over 20 years ago. It was because my mother took D.E.S. as well, I had gone to a gyne because I was worried about staining between periods (which ended up being ovulation flow-nothing to worry about).

I felt like I had suddenly got my period when he did the biopsy-like that full/pressure type feeling.I was fine and drove off to a friend's house directly afteward. It was not bad.

Best wishes to you and let us know how things turn out.

Old 07-27-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
hollygirl05
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Thanks for your replies. I'm not as worried about it as I was. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow with my results from my blood. The place that took my blood, faxed all my paper work to my parents office. My blood pressure was 80/50. My pulse was low. It shows on my test, my platelets are really low, polys are high and monocytes are low. I'm not sure what it means but they had those flagged along with my cholestrol being high as well. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow, I will let you know what happens. Becky

Old 08-06-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
pamela3870
Inactive

pamela3870 HB User
Becky, I noticed you are from Covington, LA. We just stayed there in July overnight before departing on a cruise! We stayed at the Courtyard at Marriott. It was the closest hotel we could get a room at during the July 4 weekend (about 40 miles from the NO port). We loved seeing New Orleans (stayed the afternoon after disembarking).

In regard to your question about the endo. biopsy, I had one in 1991 due to infertility. My regular OB did it in his office, and I wasn't prepared. I should have taken a pain pill before going. It was a bit uncomfortable (pinching and then some cramping). I had some mild pain for several hours afterward, but I still managed to hit the malls (it was the day after Thanksgiving). I was found to have very low levels of progesterone which was probably why I wasn't getting pregant. Fertility drugs took care of that problem!

I am getting a full physical in two weeks. I will also ask my GP for a referral to another OB/GYN. I don't like the place I'm going to now. I think I probably need another one done since I'm in perimenopause. Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
hollygirl05
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi Pamela, I'm glad you had a good time. I love living here but boy do I hate the traffic.
I will be sure to take some tylenol before I go. I don't think I can deal with the cramping. I don't even have cramps when I have periods. I just hope it goes well. I wonder if I might be going through perimenopause. I'm 31, but I wouldn't be suprised. I'll let you know what happens. Becky

Old 08-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
pamela3870
Inactive

pamela3870 HB User
Yes, there was lots of traffic! We didn't know where anything was, and New Orleans was confusing. We ended up parking at Jackson Brewery and walked. I had to try a Cafe DuMonde chilled cafe au lait and those good french donuts for the ride back home. The coffee was sooo good.

Looking back, I had symptoms at 31, but they are worse now. Last longer, more intense. I have friends who went through early menopause at that age. I hate when docs say "you're too young" and not do tests. That's why I am going to the GP instead of an OB. She's alot more concerned when I say something. I've seen her 2x over the last two years. I don't get ill too much to need a GP, but now I am relying on her to help me out in this area. Good luck to you, too!

Closed Thread