It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

What is it called? Need help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23
Tax HB User
Exclamation What is it called? Need help?

Hi... I need help... Since about two weeks back I got this little vains in my legs that is realy visible... I never got this.. I am 26 and is overweight but lose about 60 lbs and now I get it... From a size 24 to a size 9.

My mother in law and sister in law got it realy bad and not one of them are fat at all. I did alot of standing work for two weeks but not anymore for about a week now....

This afternoon I dicovered a realy big vain on my inner thing above my knee... bulking... what do you call that? Is there treatment for it? Can it be fixed?

Please let me know if I need to go and see the doc? I would probably but what do you call that? Can he help?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Islip, NY,USA
Posts: 201
ritamymom HB User

Hi there

That is called Vericose Veins. They happen when the return of blood to the heart valves fail to close properly forming pools of blood in the vein and over time will force the vein ******d resulting in enlarged and sometimes bulging giving it a rope appearance. This condition is hereditary and is also aggrivated by pregnancy, menopause, obesity, aging of tissues and use of birth control and hormonal therapy.
There are two alternatives to treatment of Vericose Veins;
One: Since valves cannot be repaired, they re-route the blood flow through healthy veins. they do this by removing (or stripping) the vein from your leg.
Two: This is a less invasive treatment that can be done as day surgery. They give you local anesthesia then put a thin catheter that delivers radiofrequency energy to the vein wall, causing it to heat, collapse and shut down. Once the diseased vein is closed, other healthy veins take over and empty blood from your legs.
After they remove the catheter they put a bandage over the site of insertion and the leg is wrapped for a few days. Sometimes the doctor will ask you to wear stockings that are tight (these are special stockings) to hold the pressure. You may also be asked to stay off your feet for a few days.
Some insurance companies will cover this procedure if it is found to be medically necessary and not just cosmetic. Check with them first.

Good luck.
Hope this was of some help to you!


Old 08-25-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Islip, NY,USA
Posts: 201
ritamymom HB User

Hi again

There is also spider veins. People may develop these due to genetics or possibly hormonal use but they are not sure why people develop them.
They are harmless yet can be unattractive.
The treatment for these is a procedure called Sclerotherapy where they insert a saline solution or detergent into the veins causing them to clot and become less apparent.
There is also lasar treatment but it is less effective and more expensive. It is a good alternative if one is allergic to the solution used in Sclerotherapy however.
They often use a combination of both: Sclerotherapy for the major part and lasar to get rid of the tip of the vein.


Old 08-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23
Tax HB User

Thank you!

Is there any tips on how to prevent it? From getting more?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
When [under what conditions] do you contact your PM and how easy is it? Confused089 Chronic Pain 27 06-21-2010 08:43 AM
Not sure what to expect?!!? mlcallender Back Problems 8 11-23-2009 01:59 PM
Hypoechoic Liver Lesions Diagnosis What Does This Mean? Pinda Liver & Pancreas Disorders 0 09-05-2008 09:01 PM
Help needed...I have no idea what is going on????? kenzlane Thyroid Disorders 7 02-13-2006 02:41 PM
What's A Friend To Do... Part III BLUE EYED LADY Relationship Health 145 09-01-2005 08:56 AM
Please help me know what's coming for us..small cell that metastasized MaryAlisha Cancer 9 07-06-2005 04:00 AM
What am I doing? Becky2000 Eating Disorder Recovery 8 02-09-2005 09:36 AM
HELP - Now what do I do? cya Pain Management 8 06-14-2004 08:21 PM
Sexually promiscuous child... what can this mean? ana_24 Parenting Issues 17 03-15-2004 05:02 AM
so what do we do?????? basets Lyme Disease 10 09-14-2003 12:36 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!