It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

A thought on breastmilk...need answers please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2003, 07:17 AM   #1
crystaleyes21

crystaleyes21 HB User
Question A thought on breastmilk...need answers please

Hi everyone, I have a question. When my son was born I breastfed him for three months then quit. My daughter only six days, she didn't want to latch on. My son is now two and a half, and my daughter a little over one. I still produce breastmilk, and I can express it, but even if a little pressure is applied to my breast, a little will leak out. My husband and I do not "express" it for sexual pleasure, and I have rarely done it myself, is there a reason that I am still producing breastmilk?? I have heard that it is supposed to dry up, when I mentioned it to my mother in law, she was surprised and said "you are still producing??" She breastfed both of her kids, and dried up rather quickly, is this normal?? Thanks for any replies, I am just worried, i have heard that if you have breast cancer, that milk will be stimulated. There are no lumps to worry about, just a scare to me. Thanks again!!~~Heather

------------------
~~Never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
~mandy~

~mandy~ HB User
From what i understand it is suposed to dry up pretty quickly after you stop nursing. I have heard of some women having milk long after they stop nursing. If it bothers you take a trip to the doctor, i'm pretty sure they have something to help dry up your milk.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
normorcrazy
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
I also continued to express milk for a long time after nursing my son. My doctor said it was ok as long as it didn't bother me and if it did he would give me some meds to dry it up. I just wasn't into taking meds. As for cancer, I'm not sure if true if you have it you can express milk. I do know from working in OB/GYN that nursing reduces your chances of developing breast cancer. Any concerns should be discussed with a physician for if nothing else...peace of mind. Take care!!

Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
crystaleyes21

crystaleyes21 HB User
Thanks, that makes me feel so much better. I am not bothered at all by the milk so long as it is there for good reasons and nothing dangerous or unhealthy. Thanks again!~~Heather

------------------
~~Never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up~~

Old 09-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
lacey o

lacey o HB User
Hi, my son is 15 months old and he never breastfed, I'm still leaking. I had my prolactin checked in Feb . and they said normal. Now yest. had my thyroid and prolactin checked again, so now I'm waiting on lab test to come back. They think I might have Galactorrehea. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, they want give meds. here todry up unless they do a bunch of test.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #6
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Is La Leche League still around? If so, they are great to call for questions such as this!

P.

Closed Thread