It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Dilation and curettage (D & C)....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
    KryptonSurvivor
    (male)

KryptonSurvivor HB User
    Dilation and curettage (D & C)....

Hello, all,
    I have some questions regarding the D & C procedure. First of all, is this procedure still commonly performed, or is it a relic of a bygone era? Is it still used to treat adhesions on the uterine wall, or is it considered risky? My mom had one done back in the 60s when I was 10 years old because she was experiencing what I imagine must have been fairly copious bleeding (I don't know all the details, and, truthfully, for that I am thankful). I do know that afterbirth from the pregnancy from _me_ was causing her problems, and it should have been removed ten years' prior, but wasn't.
    When she got back her medical report, she was shocked to see that the pathologist had indicated that she had had an abortion, and not a D & C! (She had been separated from my father for about six years at the time and she was not involved with anyone from the time of her separation until she died in 1994, about 23 years later.) Needless to say, she raised hell with the pathologist, and the diagnosis was amended.
    Are D & C's used to perform abortions? My notion of what constitutes a D & C is this: the uterus is dilated with an instrument, and the cells of the walls of the uterus are scraped with an instument called a curette. I suppose that that could be used to prevent an embryo from adhering to the wall of the uterus, but it seems a little drastic to me.
    Pardon my naivete about this but I didn't grow up in a household where sexual issues were discussed openly.

Thanks,

Kal-El, KryptonSurvivor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
    Re: Dilation and curettage (D & C)....

I had a D&C in October. They are still a fairly common procedure. The more common use is to clean out the uterus after a miscarriage which is also called a spontaneous abortion. If the pathologist thought your mom had miscarried, the diagnosis would be a spontaneous abortion. Perhaps that is where the confusion came from.

I had mine done for bleeding, but that procedure is less common now and I forget why. At the same time, they used a hysteroscope to examine the inside of my uterus and it can also take out small fibroids and polyps. I have not had children and the procedure is considered quite risky for someone like me, but it can be absolutely necessary if a woman has trouble expelling all of the contents of the uterus after a miscarriage. For bleeding, they usually try all kinds of hormones before they will do a surgery these days.

I don't know much about an abortion, but I would imagine that it would be similar in the early stages of the pregnancy.

Last edited by PaNik5717; 11-30-2003 at 09:07 AM. Reason: terrible typing skills

Old 11-30-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
    Dawnrise
    Veteran
    (female)

Dawnrise HB User

This past July I had a hysteroscopy, d&c, balloon ablation and tubal ligation. So, yes, d&c's are still done. Mine was done because I had been bleeding for approx. 2 years almost every day (sometimes severely). They found adhesions, 2 fibroid tumors and the uterine lining was thick.

Last edited by Dawnrise; 11-30-2003 at 07:09 AM.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
    kixlonron89

kixlonron89 HB User

I had an abortion in 98 and D&C was the procedure used. I also had another one done about 6wks after I had my first child because I had hemmoraged due to my placenta not being taken out completely.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:29 AM   #5
    KryptonSurvivor
    (male)

KryptonSurvivor HB User

...thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Kal-El

Closed Thread