HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   Are there any women here who refuse to take birth control pills? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/132025-there-any-women-here-who-refuse-take-birth-control-pills.html)

siren3 12-04-2003 10:38 PM

Are there any women here who refuse to take birth control pills?

Or any other type of chemical birth control? I, myself, never want to take them, after reading so much information about the negatives of it, despite any positives. I personally believe that it is extremely unnatural for myself, I believe my instincts are telling me to never use it. I have nothing against anybody else who takes birth control of course, but I just feel strongly like something is telling me to stay away from it personally. Does any other woman here feel that way also? :)

ChestOut 12-05-2003 12:51 AM

Re: Are there any women here who refuse to take birth control pills?

Siren3, when I was in my twenties I tried more than one type of birth control pill, most of them made me ill. So I had to stop.

Listen to your body.

I thank God during my experimental time with the pill episodes I had not used the injection form.

Pills you can stop if alive. Injections for birth control you cannot take out after they have been administered.

[QUOTE=siren3]Or any other type of chemical birth control? I, myself, never want to take them, after reading so much information about the negatives of it, despite any positives. I personally believe that it is extremely unnatural for myself, I believe my instincts are telling me to never use it. I have nothing against anybody else who takes birth control of course, but I just feel strongly like something is telling me to stay away from it personally. Does any other woman here feel that way also? :)[/QUOTE]

GertieMae 12-05-2003 02:07 PM

Hi Siren,

I will never take BCP's of any kind ever again...

stillwtg 12-05-2003 03:19 PM

I am 35 and I have never taken BCP for the same reasons, I'm just not one to put "foreign" things in my body, it just doesn't feel right to me. Everyone is different, I have friends who take them and wouldn't have it any other way.

desertdweller 12-05-2003 07:58 PM

I am NOT one of those all organic, only natural people, but I believe that BC pills are solely the reason I have hormonal problems today. After reading several books written by doctors about natural hormones, and how dangerous synthetic hormones are ( which is what BC pills are), I will never take any type of synthetic hormone again. Other BC methods are available, such as an IUD, condoms, sperimcide, why subject yourself to BC pills? I hope my 14 y.o. daughter never decides to use BC pills. The pharmaceutical companies make a lot of money off of them, so try to keep women and doctors in the dark about them. They may not cause any problems now, but can haunt you with problems later. I started going through perimenopause at age 34, and have finally straightened out my health problems with a natural progesterone creme. But, I believe that I would never have had to go through this if I hadn't been on BC pills so long in the first place.

strand3d 12-06-2003 01:54 PM

Birth control pills are an extremely safe way to prevent pregnancy, and unless you plan on using condoms religiously or montioring your cycle VERY closely, or not having sex at all, you're going to have issues avoiding pregnancy. There are side effects with any medication, it's how it works. I've had no problem with birth control and i actually choose to continue to take birth control even though im not sexually active anymore. The side effects have been so good i don't want to go off the pill. Birth control like anything else is a hit and miss thing. Some brands you love, some brands you hate. I'd suggest that you don't refuse to use the pill just because you've heard so many horror stories. There are many good stories as well, and mine is one of them.

GertieMae 12-06-2003 03:21 PM

Ive taken Tri-Phasil 28,Ortho-Tricyclen and Depo shots.I had Menstrual problems after stopping Ortho and the Depo didnt correct the problem.

For myself only I refuse to take any form of BCP unless it be Condom,Sponge,Diaphragm,Spermicide or some other form of BCP.

hope2663 12-06-2003 06:10 PM

Whenever I tell my doctor about cramping that I experience he always try to get me to take BC pills and tells me how they will regulate me. BC pills are his answer to everything, but I always tell him no that I want more children and if I'm on the pill thats not going to happen. I dont mind taking asprin for headaches or cold medicine for a cold, but I definately am not comfortable taking BC pills. Whenever I go into his office I always want to say no thank you, before we even begin the appointment because I know what he'll say.

siren3 12-06-2003 11:05 PM

Thanks for all of these replies, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. :)... To Strand3d, I just wanted to say that this is a very personal decision that I've made, after much research and a deep inner search. I do know my body better than anyone else and I know how to listen to my instincts very well. I, thankfully, have a wisdom that goes beyond just "listening to horror stories" and it's definitely this deep inner wisdom that I'm using about this, honestly. I could explain much, much further regarding this, but really only wanted to hear from other women who are thinking along the same lines as I am, thanks for the input anyway. Thanks again for the replies.

Audrey-B 12-07-2003 03:25 AM

A lady i work with said that she wished that she had listened to her brother, who is a doctor. He told her not to take BC pills after the age of 35 b/c it isn't supposed to be healthy for the heart. She is 60 and is suffering with heart disease as she was on BC pills up until menopause and it's supposedly linked to the long term BC use.

I have taken them off and on, but not for very long. No matter which ones i use i end up with some type of severe side effect. The first time i was on them for one year and it ended up messing up my cycles for years and years afterwards. My doctor suggested i go on the pill again and i was only on it for 4 months as it was making severely depressed, among other things. I ended up having to have acupuncture to correct my cycles.

Some people can take it without a problem, but doctors don't know, or do know, but are hiding the facts on whether or not it causes a lot of the various female type cancers. If you don't feel comfortable, don't take it. If you feel that it's safe and wont harm you, then go for it. Take charge of your own body b/c pharmaceutical companies are all about making money and most doctors get generous kick backs from these companies. Everybody has their own interests at heart, so you should too.

doublek626 12-07-2003 10:50 AM

I had never heard of horror stories before! But then again I've never done much research. I've been on bcp since I was 15, and I wouldn't have it any other way...my periods were so bad that I was incapcitated for a week each month, and put on prescription pain killers (flexeril). BC was a freakin godsent to me! I have actually been able to live my life for the past 6 years. I know its not for some ppl, and putting hormones into your body shouldn't be taken lightly, but some ppl need it. Just my 2 cents...

desertdweller 12-07-2003 02:48 PM

I did have some problems with depression while on the Pill, but for me, the big problems started after I stopped taking them. After 16 years of use,I stopped taking them. It was like my body no longer knew how to regulate itself. I have heard of many other women having the same problems when they stopped taking the Pill after long term use.

MelissaShaw 12-07-2003 04:34 PM

I'm on the mini pill, I don't like taking them, I've tried different brands since the age of 17 when I became sexually active, I'm now 24. The one time that I never protected myself with my husband I got pregnant with our son, that's why I'm insisting taking them now as I can't afford to get pregnant yet, not so quickly anyway. I've been having awful weeks of bleeding, I've been referred to the hospital to see what is happening to me so if I had my way, I wouldn't take birth control either.

AllyAlly 12-08-2003 04:49 PM

I've been on and off birth control pills for the last 20 years. The only problem I ever had with any form of hormonal birth control was with the Depo shot, which caused breakthrough bleeding far beyond the one shot I got (that lasts 3 months). Aside from that, birth control pills have been the #1 choice for me. They have regulated my periods and reduced the number of days I bleed as well as making them lighter, in addition to providing protection from pregnancy. Obviously I have also supplemented with condoms when appropriate for STD protection. I also went off the pill after 10 years consecutive years to have a child. I began ovulating a mere two months after stopping and was pregnant the following month.

A woman's choice of birth control is a very personal and individual decision and should not be judged or derided by those who don't agree with others choices.