It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Abnormal cycle...anyone have any ideas?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
DAnn73

DAnn73 HB User
Abnormal cycle...anyone have any ideas?

Hi..I'm sitting here late at night because I can't sleep due to this pain. First, let me explain.....and hopefully someone has some advice. Let me first tell you that I've been under some added stress the past several months. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I thought it might.

In November, my period was due around the 27th or so. On the 17th of November, I started bleeding, but it was this brownish blood and lasted about 4 days. I didn't have any cramping, etc that I usually have with my periods, a type of "warning sign" that it's coming, you know? Then on the 27th, my period shows up, with the usual cramping and lasts for the usual time, another 4-5 days.

In December, like clockwork or something, I have this bleeding again on the 17th. It lasts for 4 days, but it's not brownish in color, it's bright red like a normal period, but no cramping. I skipped my usual time around the 27th and started my "real" period today. I could feel the cramps coming on. I haven't bled much so far today, usually my first 2 days are the heaviest...but I woke up tonight with some HORRIBLE cramps. I remember having these type of bad cramps maybe several months ago, or maybe even years....because sometimes I have bad cramping with my cycle and sometimes I don't. Anyway, these cramps were bad enough to wake me out of a sleep and I took 2 Ibuprofen (which I usually don't have to do) and the pain is finally subsiding, but it's definately still there. I'm worried about not getting any relief, I'm worried about this keeping up all night, I'm worried what tomorow might bring!!! My periods until the past few months have been pretty much like clockwork....nothing unusual enough for me to be concerned.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of what this sounds like? Could it be the stress I've been under? To be honest, my stress level was highest around Oct, Nov and early Dec. Things have somewhat settled down within the past few weeks....but maybe this is just from that? Maybe it's a cyst? Maybe I have something serious? I hate going to the gyno...I will of course if it doesn't get any better...but I just thought I'd look for advice on here before I worry too much and stress even more!

Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated...thanks for reading!
DAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
PaNik5717
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Re: Abnormal cycle...anyone have any ideas?

Stress can be a major factor in changes in your cycle. Doctors will look for others things, but if it resolves on it's own, they may just say it was stress.

Without knowing if you are sexually active, on the pill, or your age, I will just throw out an alphabet soup of possibilites. You could have a cyst that is rupturing, but that would usually result in more persistent bleeding and would resolve sooner, based on my experience. You could have bleeding on the 17th due to ovulation. You could also have abnormal bleeding due to pregnancy. Any number of infections can cause bleeding. Also, endometriosis and adenomyosis cause pain and bleeding. The brown blood is very common with adeno, but is also just plain common. If you search for abnormal bleeding or dysfunctional bleeding, you will find other causes. It usually isn't very serious and can often be treated easily.

You really should talk to a doc about this, especially since you have lost sleep over it. If you are more comfortable with a regular doc, you can go there instead of going to the gyn. I prefer the gyn because I like having the relationship in place before I really need it. Also, I have heard that some regular docs have missed some big findings on pap smears. Just so you know.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
DAnn73

DAnn73 HB User
Re: Abnormal cycle...anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for all of your suggestions/advice. I'm doing better today...still have the cramping, but nothing out of the ordinary for a "normal" period for me, nothing like last night. BTW, I'm 30 years old, not regularly sexually active - as I'm in a long distance relationship and not on any birth control, if that helps. Thank you again and I'll see how tonight goes and see how things go as I try and reduce my stress. I have my annual appt. coming up in Feb or March, so I'll definately mention it then...I just wasn't sure if I should go sooner or not.
DAnn

Closed Thread