It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Low carb diet messing up my BC pill?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
    LitWit21

LitWit21 HB User
    Question Low carb diet messing up my BC pill?

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask: have any of the ladies here had trouble with their cycles while on the BC pill and following a low-carb diet?

I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen lo for 9 months, and this month (right after my last "pill period", I started a slightly modified version of the Adkins diet. I've now been on the diet for a little under two weeks, and even though I tweaked the food list slightly to make induction a little more bareable I've also been very careful to keep my carb intake under 20g a day. I've also not missed ANY pills or taken them more than 5 minutes late.

Right now, I'm on my second dark blue pill, six more pills to go before I get to the fakes and when my period is supposed to start. Over the past week or so, however, my body seems to be wanting to go into "period mode" over a week early--I've had some mild cramps and a lot of discharge (the kind I'd get just before my period) for a few days. Last night, I was hit with cramps--menstral cramps--so sharp that they woke me up from my sleep. The cramps lessened, but all morning today I have been having milder cramps and that wiped-out, "blah" feeling I get with the first day of my period. I haven't seen a drop of blood yet, but the way I'm feeling, I'm expecting to start any minute.

If this were on time I wouldn't worry, but I have a little less than a week to go on my active pills! Since I haven't missed any pills, the only thing that is different is the low carb diet. But, I've dieted before on the pill (not low carb, though) and have *never* had this happen.

I've heard "through the mill" that some other women have started their periods early while they've been eating low carb, but what I haven't heard is whether this wierdness actually makes the pill less effective. My Dr. isn't in today, so I'm really worried about this.

Has anyone else had this happen while eating low-carb? I don't want to get pregnant!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
    LitWit21

LitWit21 HB User
    Re: Low carb diet messing up my BC pill?

anyone???

I'm still having the cramps, but no spotting yet. At this point I have 4 active pills left.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
    LeslieCH3

LeslieCH3 HB User
    Re: Low carb diet messing up my BC pill?

Hi,

You are probably not pregnant don't worry....I have been on the pill for about 16 years...did Atkins 1 1/2 years ago and now I'm on South Beach Diet, both low carb...my periods did get quite screwed up, more so on Atkins, I would bleed early...and my periods have always been very light and short, after Atkins, I would bleed like a stuck pig! But I never got pregnant, I think its got more to do with your increased iron intake than being on BC pills.....

Closed Thread