It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

AF wives!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
missymouse

missymouse HB User
AF wives!

Hello to all my fellow AF wives! I was just wondering what type of BC you all are using? I am currently on the patch but desperately wanting to switch to something else. I called the base pharmacy here asking about NuvaRing but was told they didn't have it. The pharmacist also told me though that I can get my PCM to request it. Do any of you know how long that process would take? I'm in Japan so I can't exactly just get a Rx and take it to the local drugstore. I have 1 box of patches left before I have to get back in to see the Doc. If I were to get an appt for this coming week do you think I'd be able to get NuvaRing (assuming my DR is willing to request it) in time? Taking a pill every day is out. I can't even remember my heart medicine every day Do any of you know of any other options available to us dependants? besides a pill of course.
Thanks a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
Star Shiloh

Star Shiloh HB User
Re: AF wives!

Hey. I'm not an AF wife but I'm a dependent.(Dad's retired military) I think you should maybe ask about Depo Provera. It might be available at the Pharmacy on base.(some have it, others don't) It does completely stop your period, usually, but it is a great choice for birth control; not to mention that one injection lasts for three months. The only side effect I had was weight gain but if you exercise reguarly you can control that without a problem. I hope you find somethig that works for you.

God Bless

Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Blastoff9600
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Shiloh
Hey. I'm not an AF wife but I'm a dependent.(Dad's retired military) I think you should maybe ask about Depo Provera. It might be available at the Pharmacy on base.(some have it, others don't) It does completely stop your period, usually, but it is a great choice for birth control; not to mention that one injection lasts for three months. The only side effect I had was weight gain but if you exercise reguarly you can control that without a problem. I hope you find somethig that works for you.

God Bless
If you think about Depo please research before you do.
Also not everyone gets lucky and keep the weight gain off with exercise and proper diet. I know when I was on it I still gained 50 pounds even though I was on the Slim Fast diet,exercising 3 to 5 times a week along with taking walks every night. Also not everyone losses their period while on Depo. I had nonstop bleeding for the 6 months I was on it. I also had no sex drive(which was horrible for me since I normally have a very high drive). I could go on and on but your best bet is to research it and look at other posts on this board,the general sex and women's sexual health boards.
Then there is the risk of lossing or impairing one's fertility with the use of Depo. I found out about that the hard way. If you look at my sig you will see that my second son took over 3 yrs to conceive. I got on Depo after the birth of my first son and only had two shots. The last shot was Oct 22,1996 no other birth control was used in the time after that. I went through several infertility doctors in that time and from everone one of them I heard the same thing. I wasnt the first woman nor would I be the last that they would see and treat thanks to Depo.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
missymouse

missymouse HB User

Thank you both very much. I guess I should have put it into my original post that Depo is not a risk I'm willing to take. I know that it works wonders for some people. But I've heard of just as many people who are miserable on it. I've not been married for long so my sex drive and my fertility and things that I do not want to take chances with right now. Star Shiloh, I'm glad that the shot works for you, but sadly it's just not for me. I'm already going to be almost guaranteed a difficult pregnancy because of my other medical conditions (hyperthyroidism for one) so I want to shy away from anything that has caused fertility issues with even a handful of people. I am obviously not looking to get pregnant now, but probably will be within the next 3-5 years. I've got an appointment tomorrow (thursday) with my doctor so we'll see what he/she can come up with. Thanks so much, I'm sorry I didn't mention Depo in my first post!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #5
girlygirly
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff9600
If you think about Depo please research before you do.
Also not everyone gets lucky and keep the weight gain off with exercise and proper diet. I know when I was on it I still gained 50 pounds even though I was on the Slim Fast diet,exercising 3 to 5 times a week along with taking walks every night. Also not everyone losses their period while on Depo. I had nonstop bleeding for the 6 months I was on it. I also had no sex drive(which was horrible for me since I normally have a very high drive). I could go on and on but your best bet is to research it and look at other posts on this board,the general sex and women's sexual health boards.
Then there is the risk of lossing or impairing one's fertility with the use of Depo. I found out about that the hard way. If you look at my sig you will see that my second son took over 3 yrs to conceive. I got on Depo after the birth of my first son and only had two shots. The last shot was Oct 22,1996 no other birth control was used in the time after that. I went through several infertility doctors in that time and from everone one of them I heard the same thing. I wasnt the first woman nor would I be the last that they would see and treat thanks to Depo.

I agree with your thoughts on birth control...I also think putting any kind of additional hormone into your body when you DON'T need it is crazy.Why put your body at any kind of risk. There is other bc that works and will hurt anyone or put anyone at unnecessary risk.

I just wanted to point out something in your post that many people don't know. You mentioned that you used Slim Fast. Slim Fasts main ingredient is soy protein isolate. Soy is known to inhibit thyroid function. Your heavy periods that were non-stop could have been from the soy. I ate some soy products a few years ago and I started to have 2 periods a month. Soy is infamous for this. If your metabolism slows down due to thyroid disfunction then so will your weight loss. I had the same problem with weight loss and I exercised alot.

Remember soy mimics estrogen, add that to the extra estrogen that you are taking from bcp...that to me is a recipe for disaster.

BTW I was not taking any birth control when I started to have these problems.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #6
Blastoff9600
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirly
I agree with your thoughts on birth control...I also think putting any kind of additional hormone into your body when you DON'T need it is crazy.Why put your body at any kind of risk. There is other bc that works and will hurt anyone or put anyone at unnecessary risk.

I just wanted to point out something in your post that many people don't know. You mentioned that you used Slim Fast. Slim Fasts main ingredient is soy protein isolate. Soy is known to inhibit thyroid function. Your heavy periods that were non-stop could have been from the soy. I ate some soy products a few years ago and I started to have 2 periods a month. Soy is infamous for this. If your metabolism slows down due to thyroid disfunction then so will your weight loss. I had the same problem with weight loss and I exercised alot.

Remember soy mimics estrogen, add that to the extra estrogen that you are taking from bcp...that to me is a recipe for disaster.

BTW I was not taking any birth control when I started to have these problems.

Actually I had been using Slim fast for a long time and NEVER had a problem with my periods. Second it wasnt heavy periods. I had something slightly more than spotting for that six months. The interesting thing is after I didnt get the next shot and still on the slim fast deal the spotting stopped and my period came on just fine. My Thyroid was tested during that time because the doctor that I was seeing was a moron and didnt know that Depo can cause nonstop periods or continuos spotting. Nothing was found wrong during that time. The doc finally read up on Depo after I told him that I had read it was a side effect.
About a year after my last shot the weight started slowly coming off. I seriously doubt the Slim fast had anything to do with the crap that went on during those 6 months.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread