It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Normal cycle after stopping BCP?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
nunya

nunya HB User
Arrow Normal cycle after stopping BCP?

I've been on birth control pills for about 9 years. I've skipped a few months here and there (when I forgot to get to the pharmacy, for example), but have recently decided to stop taking them. On the pill my cycle was 28 days and regular. November was my first month without and my cycle was 34 days (from day one of period to day one of next period), which is on the long side for most people I think. Well, it has been 49 (forty-nine!!!) days since my last period. What gives? I decided to take a home pregnancy test today, and it came out negative ( I have to admit I was a little hopeful!). What the heck is going on? Can I ever expect to see my "little visitor" again? How long can I go without a period before I start to get worried?

Just FYI I'm in my mid twenties, healthy, not outrageously under- or over- weight (I'd love to lose 5 pounds, but who wouldn't?). Should I see a doctor? Is it possible the pregnancy test is wrong? I used it in the afternoon, but I figured if I am more than a month gone it would show positive at any time of day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
lilsunshine46
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: Normal cycle after stopping BCP?

I'm 42 and in same situation. I went for Pap and decided that it was time to quit, making hubby go for the surgery, and now I am 3 weeks late. I am having hot flashes{I think} so in my case it is probably the beginning of menopause. I am going to dr as my thyroid seems to be acting up, I have Hashimotos.
I KNOW I am NOT pregnant so I looked in this Women's Health book I have and it said it was normal to miss after sopping the PIll. Try not to worry but maybe call or see PCP.
Bonnie

Old 01-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
nunya

nunya HB User

What's weird to me is that I would have one normal cycle of 34 days, and then 50 days with no period. I took another pregnancy test this morning- still negative. I could barely sleep all night thinking about taking it. I guess the sooner I quit worrying about it the sooner it will probably show up.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
lizardlady81

lizardlady81 HB User

I'm 22 and I stopped my bc pills back in July to ttc baby #3 and didn't have a period until December. I'm just now starting to have a regular cycle again. My doctor said it can take some women up to 8-12 months to start a normal cycle again. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
desertdweller
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I went off the pill in my early 30's after 7 years of use. It took me 6 months to get a period, and 4 years to get 28 day regular. I only became regular because I started using a natural progesterone creme. Now I get my period like clockwork.

Closed Thread