It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
HIM
(female)

HIM HB User
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

I was recently diagnosed with BV, and my Dr. gave me MetroGel-Vaginal to clear it up. She directed me to use it once a day for seven days. I did so, and now I have completed the medication. I now have developed a thick, white discharge that seems to come out in small "chunks". I do not notice an odor. I was wondering if this is something normal that happens after using the metrogel, or if I have developed something else, perhaps a yeast infection, which I have never had before. (No clue on the symptoms) Also, if this has happened to anyone else, and you have received treatment, please share whatever info you know.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

Taking the metro gel has probably caused a yeast infection because it has now killed off all the good bacteria along with the BV. You probably need to go on monistat or diflucan, but you'll need to call your dr first. It's a vicious cycle. The best way to get rid of the yeast for good is to eat plain yogurt with live cultures in it and take a live culture acidophilus pill as directed. I'm currently going through a similar problem, but the acidophlius has kept me from getting a yeast infection. I'm on Flagyl which is the same med that your're on, but it's oral instead of an insert.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadea_Faith
I am a long-term sufferer of BV, according to my GP it seems to be something I am just predisposed to, I can treat it but it keeps coming back. I have found that treatment for BV can cause some interesting discharge.
I think what you want to do is talk to your GP, I have known someone who treated BV by killing off all the bacteria, to get back her ‘good’ bacteria she douched (something you should never do unless told to by a medical professional) with yogurt and something or other tea – don’t ask me what the tea she used was. But rather than using something else prescribed it might be worth seeing what you can use naturally to reintroduce the ‘good’ bacteria.
Yeast infections are normally itchy, often with an odd odor, yeast infections can go unnoticed however, going to your GP you can kill 2 (or more) birds with one stone, to insure your BV has cleared up, insure you know what is likely to cause BV so you know what to avoid, find out how to reintroduce a healthy bacterial balance in your vagina and to get any yeast infections treated – GP is probably the best to ask if your discharge has changed so noticeably and does not settle itself down.
Are you talking about the tea tree oil douche? That works well! So does the vinegar douche, but call your dr first.
~ Julie ~

Old 02-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

Hrm, was it this one?

vaginol tea tree douche 250ml

I go to a site called [ removed ] and the women there have used some specific douches when all else has failed. I wonder if they have used the one you're talking about.... Hrm. This has me quite interested!
~ Julie

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2004 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Not allowed to post other boards. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 02-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

There is also one made of green tea.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
Juliebrat

Juliebrat HB User

Oh, you know what else is out there, is this stuff I saw at the health food store the other day. It was in the refridgerated section at Henry's Foodmarket and the lady told me you use it as an insert/cream and it replaces all the good bacteria. Ugh, I can't remember the name now, but it's main ingrediant is the lactoacidophilus that gets killed off by the BV and the yeast. And, I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about this stuff now. LOL

Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
binxx7771

binxx7771 HB User

I have used metro-gel several times. And the chunky white discharge is normal after use of this gel. It's just gel reidue coming out it shouldn't last more than about 4 or 5 days.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
Ricca

Ricca HB User

Hello Everyone, well, I recently purchased the Tea Tree Oil for my BV--I think this is what I have, since the gyno didn't find any yeast infection. Well, I still haven't recieved it but as soon as I do I will keep you posted.

Also, I have to tried the plain yogurt and inserted it for about a week- but it didn't help me- It might work though but it just didn't work for me.

Now, to my questions.

I was wondering, I didn't buy the Tea Tree douches or the suppositories (SP) but the original one in the bottle----Am I able to use this one also? Can I inserted? Would it be safe? Or do I need the suppositories?

I am a bit confused??
I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Last edited by Ricca; 05-03-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
ILikeRats

ILikeRats HB User

I have read you can mix one-half teaspoon of tea tree oil with a cup of warm (I would use reverse-osmosis) water and insert it using a syringe (no needle, of course! Empty syringes should be sold at drug stores near the pharmacy). However, I would NOT do this without consulting a doctor because douching can push bacteria back toward the cervix (maybe into the uterus; I'm not sure?) and do more harm than good...

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2004 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Do not post any kind of information to find commercial websites. Please review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 05-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
wvfirefly

wvfirefly HB User

I have had BV many times, and, in the past, I have always followed the BV with a yeast infection. A while back, I discovered a pill called acidolphilus (it is the active culture in yogurt). When on an antibiotic or the metro-gel, I take one in the morning and one in the evening (normally I just take it once a day). Since starting this, I have had two BV's, and both times I didn't get the yeast infection after the medicine for BV. Also, the acidolphilus is supposed to be good for intestinal health.

Closed Thread