It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Male vs Female Gynos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User
    Male vs Female Gynos

I have heard that even tho going to female gynos makes the experience more "comfortable" they can be not gentle while male gynos seem to be more gentle. I figure the rate of not being gentle should be about the same for both what you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User
    Re: Male vs Female Gynos

I've seen both...thus far I tend to prefer the male I had seen.....the woman I saw just this last go round was a total witch!!!!

but to be honest I think it has to do with the doctor itself and their personality....I don't really think their gender plays a major role in it.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
    purpleprincess
    Inactive

purpleprincess HB User

Hi there!

I have only been to one female ob/gyn in my time of going period. I plan on sticking with her until I have kids and even after that. I do agree with the post that says that personality and stuff plays a big part. I absolutely love my gyn. and I don't think I would go to another one. I wish everyone could find as good of a gyn as I have found. I thought I would just say my piece. Happy GYN hunting! lol

kristina

Old 03-31-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Well I have been through my share of doctors...either I switch or I will call to make an appointment and low and behold I have a new doctor. Got to just love military base clinics....
    Of female ones I have only had one that I liked that was perfect when it came to exams. The others rushed through them or didnt want to answer questions or were rough. Now I am not one to whine or complain about pain far from it. I have a high pain threshold but some of those women had me ready to jump off the table and slap them.
    With the male doctors I have actually found several that I have liked and found I prefer male over female. Most take there time,answer questions and didnt cause me any discomfort.
    So for me male doctors have actualy been better than female doctors.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 04-01-2004, 04:21 AM   #5
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User

Heh, glad to find another woman who prefers going to a male gyne vs. a female one. Many women I know think I'm strange for prefering a male gynecologist.

It's not that I feel a male doctor is "better" in any fashion or more qualified than a female one, but for me it's just a matter of preference... and comfort.

I grew up having only male doctors. And the two times I had to see a female one and they had to examine me in that fashion, I was really uncomfortable. Not because they were rough or hurt me though; just because I felt more comfortable with a male poking around down there than a female.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastoff9600
    Well I have been through my share of doctors...either I switch or I will call to make an appointment and low and behold I have a new doctor. Got to just love military base clinics....
    Of female ones I have only had one that I liked that was perfect when it came to exams. The others rushed through them or didnt want to answer questions or were rough. Now I am not one to whine or complain about pain far from it. I have a high pain threshold but some of those women had me ready to jump off the table and slap them.
    With the male doctors I have actually found several that I have liked and found I prefer male over female. Most take there time,answer questions and didnt cause me any discomfort.
    So for me male doctors have actualy been better than female doctors.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katyana
    Heh, glad to find another woman who prefers going to a male gyne vs. a female one. Many women I know think I'm strange for prefering a male gynecologist.
    It is funny you mention that...the doctor I am trying to get now is male and referred to me by a female friend. And several of her friends go to him as well.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
    PaNik5717
    Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

I have also tended to think that men are more gentle. It really does depend on their personality and personal experiences, but men have no idea what we are going through so they seem more cautious. Some women tend to be a little calloused since they have to go through it too. Like "hey, I don't think it's a big deal so you shouldn't either."

I had one exam by a midwife and it was terrible. So, I stuck with my male, but then he became insensitive and couldn't help me. Now, I am with a woman and it is bizarre to have her poking around, but she is a great surgeon and that is what I needed. Not as personable as the men, but very professional.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladivapr
    I have heard that even tho going to female gynos makes the experience more "comfortable" they can be not gentle while male gynos seem to be more gentle. I figure the rate of not being gentle should be about the same for both what you guys think?
    I have seen both a male and female gyno and I must say I prefere the one I am with now (the male) he is deffenitly alot gentler and personally I think the males are better at there jobs. NO IM NOT KNOCKING Females this is just my expereince.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
    sarah1000

sarah1000 HB User

Just wanted to post a differing opinion, after a sexual assualt, the thought of going to a male gyn causes the beginning of a panic attack. This was not at all helped by a ER doctor who upon my asking and explanation for a female doctor to do a rectal exam when i was being diagnosed with appendicitis, said "well, hasn't it been seven years?" My reply: I'M SORRY I AM NOT RECOVERING FROM SEXUAL TRAUMA ACCORDING TO YOUR TIMETABLE. (ok I really didn't say that, but I was sure thinking it)

Old 04-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
    fanofopera
    (female)

fanofopera HB User

I myself have never had a femal gyn. I have a female family doctor and would not trade her for the world. She does my yearly physicals also. I have been to 2 male gyn's and can't stand it. I guess in my mind think why did they want to be a female doctor they don't know what it is like to be a woman and go through the things we do but then again it could be just their personalities. I have had male family doctors that I like too. But am uncomfortable with a male examing my privates.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
    greeksiren

greeksiren HB User

My male doctor is a godsend. He is so gentle with paps, and when I had my miscarriage he called me almost every day to check on my symptoms and my mental health. I wouldn't trade him for anything!!!

Old 04-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
    devastated
    Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

I prefer a woman, and doubt I will ever see a male again. I mean, a man might be very learned in the field gynecology, but he can't really relate to what it's like to have a vagina, or understand what it's like to have an infection, etc. I prefer to see a gyn who can relate to me and my vagina!

Old 04-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

You know and the interesting thing is that I hear men say they prefer female urologists cause they claim the females are more gentle. For sure I wouldnt like to go a gyn either female or male if they are going to be rude or if they are going to rush off the exam. Im having a new doc this time a female so I will see how that goes. Previously have been a male and I had no complains. However i wished he was as hot as my chiropractor or my plastic surgeon lol!

Old 04-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

I prefer female gyns. When it comes right down to it, I want my plumbing kept in peak condition by someone who has the same plumbing. I mean, medical school is all well and good, but it WAS the male medical establishment that for years said perimenopause was simply mental illness (or hypochondria!)
    I've had lovely gentle female gyns and brusque ones, but I tell you what -every single one of them knew where I was coming from when I explained my monthly menstrual trials.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:33 PM   #15
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by csoar2004
    I prefer female gyns. When it comes right down to it, I want my plumbing kept in peak condition by someone who has the same plumbing. I mean, medical school is all well and good, but it WAS the male medical establishment that for years said perimenopause was simply mental illness (or hypochondria!)
    I've had lovely gentle female gyns and brusque ones, but I tell you what -every single one of them knew where I was coming from when I explained my monthly menstrual trials.

I guess some people are lucky with female gynos. I havent been so that is why I prefer males. It was a female,my first one,and when I told her how long my cycles were without birth control she told me that I would have to stay on BC because my cycles were not normal At that time I was 17 and had my period since I was 11 and it was always the same--34 days. I was shocked to think that what I knew as normal wasnt considered normal.
    I have infertility issues. Well when we got to Utah I got a new doctor and she hadnt even looked over my medical record when I saw her the first time. The reason I know is it was in my hands because I hadnt turned it in yet. Anyway she walks into the room and precedes to tell me that fertlity problems were because I was overweight and that was messing things up for me. I was floored,yes I was overweight by about 25 to 30 pounds,but the woman had no right without looking at my medical history to tell me that was the problem. I got up and told her that she was rude and that I was only there for her to sign papers so I could go off base. I didnt need her opinion since she apparently had no clue as to what she was talking about. She was shocked that I said that to her and then mumbled something as she signed the paper I handed her. I still dont know to this day what she mumbled but I could careless.
    The third one I have seen told me my uterus and cervix were tipped. This was the first I had heard of that even though I had been getting yearly exams for several years. I started to ask her about it and she precedes to tell me that it was no problem and that I would be fine and walked out of the room. I wound up reading up on it online and in books.

I wish I could have beeter luck with females gynos but so far I havent. With the males most have been willing to sit and talk and not judge over a few pounds.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Last edited by Blastoff9600; 04-02-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Closed Thread