It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Has anyone ever had Cervicitis? Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
    Justmarried0620
    (female)

Justmarried0620 HB User
    Has anyone ever had Cervicitis? Please Help

Here's my situation:

For the past week I've had some lower abdominal pain that is unlike any that I've experienced before. It's kind of just a dull pain that I notice comes and goes around my reproductive area of my stomach.

I first noticed it about a day after being intimate with my husband. We had a baby about 4 months ago and this is only the second time that we've had sex. Immediately following and the next day I had a little spotting, then this abdominal pain came on and hasn't gone away. I have noticed quite a bit more discharge than usual, but it's not a strange color nor does it have a strange odor.

We did use a condom, so I'm not sure if that could be related. I've been looking on the internet and the symtoms I have are compatible with Cervitis, but I noticed that the leading cause is an STD. So, I'm trying not to freak out not only because I don't want to have an STD, but I think that would mean that my husband of a little over a year would have had to have cheated on me to contract an STD. I was had a routine test at my first OB appointment after finding out I was pregnant and everything was fine.

I didn't notice pain during sex, just afterward and ever since. I'm starting to freak out a little. I will probably call my OB/GYN tomorrow, but would like any advice any of you have.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever had Cervicitis? Please Help

I really wouldn't worry about your husband cheating on you until you find out what is wrong first. IF you do have an STD, you should be aware that there are some of them that can "hybernate" for years without EVER showing a sign/symptom of infection, such as HPV & herpes, which means that it could've come from you. The blame game with these 2 STD's really is useless because it's basically impossible to trace it back to the originator.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I wasn't aware cervicitits was caused by an std. My gyno never ever once mentioned that to me.
    It;s inflammation of the layers of epithelial(spelling)layers.
    there are names for this. something like parocytosis?( I can't remember the spelling) I'm at work and I can't read the pathology results due to the fact they're at home. I had this condition of the cervix back in Jan.04.
    I had a Cat Scan months before the surgery which the radiologist read it to be cervical cancer. it looked like it on the readings but when they went in to do a cone biopsy they found this very, inflammed cervix. Not sure if it could've turned into a cancer. I didn't ask. No one mentioned to me about an std either. doesn't really matter at this point I guess. I have one partner now for four yrs. and I trust him with my whole heart. Not to say it didn';t come from my past life though.
    I also had precancerous cells back in 1998. I had the layer of the cervix swathed with some chemical to freeze or burn it off. I never bothered to ask the dr. at the time what exactly he did. I was just going through my divorce and I think I temporarily lost my mind. I had my records mailed to me last yr. but there's not much info in them. I can't speak to the dr. because he passed away.
    I am just very diligent with my paps and If I have any sort of gyno problem I run to my new dr. who is fantastic.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hi again.
    I found some info for anyone who might be interested on the topic of cervictitis. here it goes.
    CHAPTER 21
    The Cervix - cervical erosion (ectopy)- cervicitis

Q 21. 3 What is meant by cervical erosion (ectopy) and cervicitis?
    The vaginal surface of the cervix has a covering of layers of flat cells (squamous epithelium) (Figures 21.1 & 21.2). The cervical canal is lined by columnar cells that produce mucus. The squamo-columnar junction is where the squamous and columnar epithelia meet.
    During puberty, when taking the pill and during pregnancy, the cervix enlarges and the columnar epithelium from the cervical canal seems to move out (almost like a flower opening) to cover part of the vaginal cervix. The clinician looking at the cervix sees a deep pink velvet-like appearance, which has been called erosion, ectropion or an ectopy (Figure 21.3). The majority of women with cervical erosions have no problem but some are troubled by excessive discharge or bleeding after intercourse (post-coital bleeding).
    During childbirth or miscarriage, the surface covering of the cervix can be damaged and become inflamed (cervicitis). Evidence of this inflammation can still be found even many years later. Sometimes small mucus filled cysts form on the cervix (Nabothian follicles). Chronic cervicitis may be associated with discharge or bleeding after intercourse. Cervical ectopy and cervicitis are not pre-malignant or malignant conditions.
    If it seems that a cervical erosion or cervicitis may be responsible for symptoms, it can be treated by freezing (cryotherapy Figure 21.4) in the clinic or by cautery or laser in the operating theatre.

Hope this helps to answer any questions you may have.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
    PeggyHarmon

PeggyHarmon HB User

I believe this is a condition called the "honeymooners disease". There are meds for it. My aunt had it, and she said it was painful had to be treated by the Dr.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

There are MANY things that can cause cervicitis, including STD's. The whole thing that you mentioned with taking the pill and part of the lining of the cervix buds out, like a flower, I know that's true! It happened to me. I was bleeding during intercourse and, for the life of me, NO ONE could figure it out! Finally, I went to another dr and he told me about it, something about too much estrogen in the bc pills. Anywho, I had that piece of "skin" removed at the same time that I had my LEEP. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see if the surgery worked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lintek
    Hi again.
    I found some info for anyone who might be interested on the topic of cervictitis. here it goes.
    CHAPTER 21
    The Cervix - cervical erosion (ectopy)- cervicitis

Q 21. 3 What is meant by cervical erosion (ectopy) and cervicitis?
    The vaginal surface of the cervix has a covering of layers of flat cells (squamous epithelium) (Figures 21.1 & 21.2). The cervical canal is lined by columnar cells that produce mucus. The squamo-columnar junction is where the squamous and columnar epithelia meet.
    During puberty, when taking the pill and during pregnancy, the cervix enlarges and the columnar epithelium from the cervical canal seems to move out (almost like a flower opening) to cover part of the vaginal cervix. The clinician looking at the cervix sees a deep pink velvet-like appearance, which has been called erosion, ectropion or an ectopy (Figure 21.3). The majority of women with cervical erosions have no problem but some are troubled by excessive discharge or bleeding after intercourse (post-coital bleeding).
    During childbirth or miscarriage, the surface covering of the cervix can be damaged and become inflamed (cervicitis). Evidence of this inflammation can still be found even many years later. Sometimes small mucus filled cysts form on the cervix (Nabothian follicles). Chronic cervicitis may be associated with discharge or bleeding after intercourse. Cervical ectopy and cervicitis are not pre-malignant or malignant conditions.
    If it seems that a cervical erosion or cervicitis may be responsible for symptoms, it can be treated by freezing (cryotherapy Figure 21.4) in the clinic or by cautery or laser in the operating theatre.

Hope this helps to answer any questions you may have.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
    Justmarried0620
    (female)

Justmarried0620 HB User

Thanks for all your information I found it very helpful. My pain in my lower abdomen as since gone away, and I think it's possible that I might have jumped to conclusions.

I didn't mean to imply that if you have Cervicitis you got it from an STD. I think that an STD can just be a precursor of Cervicitis. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I should have worded that better.

Thank you all

Closed Thread