It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• endometrial ablation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #31
    mperrin

mperrin HB User
    Re: endometrial ablation

I have three older kids in school (16, 14, 12) and two little ones at home (almost 5 and 16 months). I am on leave right now because of my hysterectomy. I will be going back early Nov and I am not exactly looking forward to it. I like being home and always have. The good thing is that I only work partime, but it is tough no matter what.

I get a chance to post when things are quiet! It may be rare around our house, but there are moments (usually after 10pm). I probably won't be posting too much after I go back to work--until I get used to it again!

Hopefully you won't have a hysterectomy. I really didn't expect to have this done myself, but things moved really fast--the bleeding that is. I have had heavy periods for ages, but they were livable and for the most part I was used to them and worked around them. On labor day weekend when I started bleeding mid-cycle, I worried a bit. It got pretty bad and the clots were really big and painful by the time I went to the ER. I went down hill from there. The day after the ER, I was hospitalized. I didn't feel horrible, but my hemoglobin was low (and was headed south) and I was having symtoms of low iron (I usually never know I am low). He admitted me to the hospital--I got blood, meds for bleeding and a bit of rest. I spent 2 1/2 days in and was home for a few more before surgery.

After the surgery when I saw my doctor, I was feeling unsure if I did the right thing (deep down I was pretty sure I did right). He was so kind. He said that I was a "tough lady", that I had gone thru a lot, and it was time. Things would have only gotten worse for me. I went home feeling more settled and at peace.

If it comes to surgery--I hope you don't have to, but know that it isn't that bad. I am feeling good, I know it will be a while before I feel normal again.

Good luck to you!
    ~~M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #32
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

I too work part time and Im glad I dont have to work full time but I wish I could stay home but at this point we cant afford it.
    Did you have c sections with any of your babies? I hear a hysterectomy is about the same amt of pain... Ive had 2 c sections, the first one was horrible, they had to re open it and a nurse came twice a day for 2 weeks, I had an infection
    the 2nd one was SO much better, pain here and there for a few days that was about it.
    They do not have a reason for me having this bleeding, all looked ok but they sent some stuff off from the DandC to test... hopefully it will be nothing.
    was there a reason for you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mperrin
    I have three older kids in school (16, 14, 12) and two little ones at home (almost 5 and 16 months). I am on leave right now because of my hysterectomy. I will be going back early Nov and I am not exactly looking forward to it. I like being home and always have. The good thing is that I only work partime, but it is tough no matter what.

I get a chance to post when things are quiet! It may be rare around our house, but there are moments (usually after 10pm). I probably won't be posting too much after I go back to work--until I get used to it again!

Hopefully you won't have a hysterectomy. I really didn't expect to have this done myself, but things moved really fast--the bleeding that is. I have had heavy periods for ages, but they were livable and for the most part I was used to them and worked around them. On labor day weekend when I started bleeding mid-cycle, I worried a bit. It got pretty bad and the clots were really big and painful by the time I went to the ER. I went down hill from there. The day after the ER, I was hospitalized. I didn't feel horrible, but my hemoglobin was low (and was headed south) and I was having symtoms of low iron (I usually never know I am low). He admitted me to the hospital--I got blood, meds for bleeding and a bit of rest. I spent 2 1/2 days in and was home for a few more before surgery.

After the surgery when I saw my doctor, I was feeling unsure if I did the right thing (deep down I was pretty sure I did right). He was so kind. He said that I was a "tough lady", that I had gone thru a lot, and it was time. Things would have only gotten worse for me. I went home feeling more settled and at peace.

If it comes to surgery--I hope you don't have to, but know that it isn't that bad. I am feeling good, I know it will be a while before I feel normal again.

Good luck to you!
    ~~M

Old 10-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #33
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

I had all c-sections (5). My first was breech and she never progressed, so we did the c-section. #2 never labored, but water broke (big baby too). #3 water broke, labor, labor stalled, then c-section. #4 almost 8 years after 3, we were going to try to deliver, but she was transverse (sideways) in the womb. #5 I said just do the c-section. I would rather have delivered all of them naturally. Being older with the last two, I felt it more.

The hysterectomy wasn't too bad. It is a different location of pain. Each day got better. After a week I was only sore on one side and taking advil when needed. The main thing is--I took it easy! I only helped with light things (that I could sit and do). I walked around outside and took care of my 16 month old in any way I could.

I have had heavier periods for a number of years. They started getting heavy after #4, so in 2002 I had a D&C. It came back normal, but he said my uterus was almost twice the normal size. That was probably the cause of the heavier and longer periods. That size was probably because of having babies. #4 was my smallest baby, all the rest were big...and I am 5'1"!! After the surgery, he told me the lining of the uterus was growing into the wall of the uterus. That isn't good. That is what happened this past September, and that is why I had mid-cycle bleeding, and that is why the bleeding wouldn't stop. He also said that this was building up to happen--it did not happen over night even though my cycles were normal (my normal). Does that answer your questions....I seem to be long winded!

Don't worry about a hysterectomy. Take it a day at a time. You're doing great! ~~M

Old 10-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #34
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

WOW 5 c sections!! ouchie!
    You must be a very strong women!!! I hope that all is better for you since the hysterectomy.
    take care, and good luck!
    we can chat here whenever you want to!

Quote:
    I had all c-sections (5). My first was breech and she never progressed, so we did the c-section. #2 never labored, but water broke (big baby too). #3 water broke, labor, labor stalled, then c-section. #4 almost 8 years after 3, we were going to try to deliver, but she was transverse (sideways) in the womb. #5 I said just do the c-section. I would rather have delivered all of them naturally. Being older with the last two, I felt it more.

The hysterectomy wasn't too bad. It is a different location of pain. Each day got better. After a week I was only sore on one side and taking advil when needed. The main thing is--I took it easy! I only helped with light things (that I could sit and do). I walked around outside and took care of my 16 month old in any way I could.

I have had heavier periods for a number of years. They started getting heavy after #4, so in 2002 I had a D&C. It came back normal, but he said my uterus was almost twice the normal size. That was probably the cause of the heavier and longer periods. That size was probably because of having babies. #4 was my smallest baby, all the rest were big...and I am 5'1"!! After the surgery, he told me the lining of the uterus was growing into the wall of the uterus. That isn't good. That is what happened this past September, and that is why I had mid-cycle bleeding, and that is why the bleeding wouldn't stop. He also said that this was building up to happen--it did not happen over night even though my cycles were normal (my normal). Does that answer your questions....I seem to be long winded!

Don't worry about a hysterectomy. Take it a day at a time. You're doing great! ~~M

Old 10-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #35
    Swalk

Swalk HB User
    Question Re: endometrial ablation

Is it normal to have constipation after surgery like this?
    Its kinda embarassing to call and ask the Dr, so I thought Id try here first

someone told me that anestesia can constipate you? true?

Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #36
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

Hi,
    In my experience with c-sections and the hysterectomy--that part of the body is shut down--completely. After all of the surgeries, I was given stool softeners so it would be easier to go. Was this an outpatient procedure (in and out in one day)? Maybe it is the pain reliever (?). Certain ones like tylenol 3-with coedine (sp?) can cause constipation. I am not sure about the other types of pain killers. You can buy stool softeners over the counter. I have some on hand if I need them once in a while. They work really well. Lots of water, fiber, fruits and veggies--that could help too. Good luck. Let me know. I will check back later. ~~M

Old 10-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #37
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

I did not have this prob with my c sections...
    I have gone a lil bit but nothing like ya should.. I only took darvacet the first day.
    I have done an enema on monday, took 3 stool softners, drank prune juice, eaten bran cereal and I think that is enough to make someone explode!! but I have not yet!!!
    Im gonna call the dr in the am. blah how embarassing!

Quote:
    Hi,
    In my experience with c-sections and the hysterectomy--that part of the body is shut down--completely. After all of the surgeries, I was given stool softeners so it would be easier to go. Was this an outpatient procedure (in and out in one day)? Maybe it is the pain reliever (?). Certain ones like tylenol 3-with coedine (sp?) can cause constipation. I am not sure about the other types of pain killers. You can buy stool softeners over the counter. I have some on hand if I need them once in a while. They work really well. Lots of water, fiber, fruits and veggies--that could help too. Good luck. Let me know. I will check back later. ~~M

Old 10-27-2004, 09:14 AM   #38
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

Don't be embarassed. Sooner or later it would cause a lot of pain. You don't want a blockage either. Seems you are doing all you can. Take care and see what doc says. If you have to--be assertive. ~~M

Last edited by mperrin; 10-27-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #39
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

my hubby went out at 130 am and got me milk of mag, its working whew!!!!

thanks so much!

Quote:
    Don't be embarassed. Sooner or later it would cause a lot of pain. You don't want a blockage either. Seems you are doing all you can. Take care and see what doc says. If you have to--be assertive. ~~M

Old 10-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #40
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

Good to hear! Take care! Aren't hubbies good! They will go out in the middle of the night for us--to make us feel better! I have a wonderful hubby--sounds like you have a good one too. Take care. ~~M

Old 10-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #41
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Yes he is wonderful, we are both lucky!!!
    you take care too and I hope when you go back to work your in the swing of things quick!

Quote:
    Good to hear! Take care! Aren't hubbies good! They will go out in the middle of the night for us--to make us feel better! I have a wonderful hubby--sounds like you have a good one too. Take care. ~~M

Old 10-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #42
    punkiepixie

punkiepixie HB User

Hi there. I had the ablation in early 2001. What a RELIEF!! After 2 months all signs of bleeding disappeared, until last week. Has anyone who had the procedure started bleeding again after 3 years? If so, was it like a light period or what?

What happend to me is that on Saturday morning I had some bleeding. I was totally surprised. Saturday afternoon and evening, no bleeding. Sunday morning no bleeding, and Sunday afternoon bleeding, Sunday night through present no bleeding. This just doesn't seem like a "normal" bleeding pattern even if I factor in the possibility of the lining having grown back.

Anyone have any experience or info to share?

Thanks

Old 10-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #43
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

I just had a D&C yesterday because of dysfunctional bleeding. I spot almost everyday and have had this problem for about five years. Wearing a pad everyday is a real pain. I had an edometrial ablation in November of 2003. I bled everyday for about 8 weeks after the ablation. I then stopped and had very light periods for about three months. After that the spotting returned and I went back on the birth control pill. The pill seemed to make the bleeding worse, although we have finally found one that does control the bleeding. I think though that it is causing edema, so I may have to stop the pill. The D&C yesterday confirmed what I knew. The ablation failed. There is a 40% failure rate with the ablation and the doctor that did mine told me that most women have to have it done twice. I had the thermal balloon and would not opt for it again. The gynecologist told me I was bleeding everywhere in the uterus. He is waiting for a pathology report and then will make recommendations. He told me if there are no polyps or disease then he would just reablate with a rollerball. I think not...I am opting for a hysterectomy either with him or if he won't, than I will find someone that will.

Last edited by gjzhoff; 10-30-2004 at 08:09 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #44
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

gjzhoff,
    I'd go for the hysterectomy if I were you. If you have had bleeding problems like you had in the past, it probabaly wont go away and may get worse. Then there are the side affects of bleeding so much...anemia. I didn't have continual problems, but I had a problem that was building up and then it is like it burst!!!! After a week of blood transfusions, doctors appts and the hysterectomy, I was feeling pretty good.

I feel for you. If it comes to it, find another doctor, go thru your record in a long consultation and maybe you will find one to help you stop bleeding!!! Good luck. (Wearing a pad every day is the pits!)

~~M

Old 11-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #45
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

My doc told me that eventually the uterine lining that was destroyed by the ablation can grow back, and your periods will resume again or will get heavier if they never stopped altogether (like mine).

Closed Thread