It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• A question about Canesten (Treatment for thrush)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
    mambi
    (female)

mambi HB User
    A question about Canesten (Treatment for thrush)

Hi

This is the first time i've had thrush and i got the 6 day Canesten pack. I'm just wondering if the cream is supposed to come out...?
    I know it sounds weird but i'm not sure if this is supposed to happen.
    I have alot of trouble getting the cream UP but i think i did it correctly (After getting frustrated with not being able to get the applicator up i pushed it quite hard, it hurt, but got up. After that i had a bit of pain for an hour or so.)

So yeah, if anyone could tell me if this is normal that would be good.
    The cream always ends up on the toilet paper when i go :x
    If i'm not doing it right could someone tell me what i am doing wrong?
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
    LouiseLaws
    Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User
    Re: A question about Canesten (Treatment for thrush)

Canesten must come in differant forms where you are, here in the Uk it is just cream or oral tablets, nothing is supposed to go up anywhere, the cream just goes on your vulva - but I am assuming if it has come with an applicator your supposed to put it in the vagina.
    Yes, the cream is supposed to come out, your vagina (and vulva) is self-cleaning, discharge flushes out anything that is not supposed to be there, you also get discharge when sexually aroused and cervical mucus - plus you have gravety too. Anything you put in there is going to come out thanks to the self-cleaning - thats the great thing about the vagina and vulva, when left to get on with it's natural functions the chance of infections are low, if you do mess with it by washing with soap etc. then it's differant.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mambi
    Hi

This is the first time i've had thrush and i got the 6 day Canesten pack. I'm just wondering if the cream is supposed to come out...?
    I know it sounds weird but i'm not sure if this is supposed to happen.
    I have alot of trouble getting the cream UP but i think i did it correctly (After getting frustrated with not being able to get the applicator up i pushed it quite hard, it hurt, but got up. After that i had a bit of pain for an hour or so.)

So yeah, if anyone could tell me if this is normal that would be good.
    The cream always ends up on the toilet paper when i go :x
    If i'm not doing it right could someone tell me what i am doing wrong?
    thanks
    Hey Mambi

I know just what you are talking about. The plastic applicator that you fill with cream, insert as far as is "comfortable" then push the plunger to expel the cream...right?

It is kind of hard to do if you've never done it before, and Louise is correct, the applicator/cream is kind of old fashioned. In my area (NW USA) you get a pill from your doc, or you can get a suppository from the drug store. You can also still get the applicators and the cream at the drug store, but I don't know many women who still use them although they do work to heal the infection.

Anyhow, the cream will tend to "leak" out. The best way to insert it is at night before bed (after you go potty ) and you're not planning on getting up again soon. Lay down on your back with your knees bent and relaxed laying off to the side (kinda like the missionary position ), gently open your outer and inner labia with two fingers (clean hands are a MUST) and insert the applicator till comfortable (for me if I remember right, the app is about 4-5" long and about half way was good). Then gently but firmly push the plunger and extract the applicator). I used to put the used applicator back in the box, close it and leave it on the nightstand till I got up again to toss it. I also used to put some of the cream directly on the outside of my vagina (on the vulva) as well - especially if it was itchy.

This way chances are you will be in a horizontal position a bit longer. Your vagina does "clean itself" out by flushing/discharge but for me I found the way I described above worked best.

The cream will come out on it's own and you will notice it each time you wipe. I would suggest wearing a panty liner during the course of treatment.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Angela

Old 09-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
    Saka
    Veteran

Saka HB User

I've used the six day cream a few times and yes, it certainly can be messy. I'm not sure where you live but in Australia, the cream is used quite a bit. Well it was when I worked in a pharmacy anyway. I know you can now buy Diflucan over the counter which is a tablet for thrush. Haven't tried it myself but it is meant to be very good.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
    dwnjc2004

dwnjc2004 HB User

wow , as posted earlier, we dont have that sort of canestan treatment in the UK.
    if i have thrust i usually just get the cream and rub it on my vulva and all over one finger and just push it up. in a nutshell lol

if ur finding it hard to put it up with that metal appliance thingy then why not put it on with ur fiinger, or even easier get ur partner to put it in for you.

but yeah, anything that goes in there will come out due to gravity as another post said.
    its the same with lubricant, it comes out a few hours later and is not very comfortable
    hope i helped

Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
    mambi
    (female)

mambi HB User

Thanks alot everyone
    I am In Australia and I bought this treatment a few months ago from a pharmacy because I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor. Thinking back now, i'm not even sure I had thrush. Anyways, The doctor told me I had it this time so i started using it again.
    He told me about the capsule you can take, but said it was pretty expensive, I will try it though if it doesnt clear up.

Thanks everyone for replying!! It really helped

Closed Thread