It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Could I Be Pregnant??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
    concetta

concetta HB User
    Could I Be Pregnant??

I am old. Married 4 years. Never pregnant. Never used birth control. Always had regular periods, except last year when my one of my periods took 38 days to come.

Currently, it's been 42 days since my last period. My breasts are tender and swollen a whole cup size. I am constipated beyond belief (I'm a health nut who had regular bowel movements). I have slight cramping as if my period is about to come on, but each day nothing. And, the cramping is beginning to subside, but still no period. Oh, about 3 weeks ago, I had extremely light spotting for one day only and nothing after.

I am afraid to take the pregnancy test, because I took it last year when I was late and it was negative.

I've always wanted to be pregnant. I all but gave up and never thought about it again.

I am being tortured by these symptoms. Anyway, if I am not pregnant, what else could account for the swollen painful breasts and chronic constipation?

Is it at all possible that early pregnancy signs would mimic menstruation symptoms as well.?

Concetta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: Could I Be Pregnant??

Is it possible that you're going through menopause?

Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
    Libbyanne
    Inactive

Libbyanne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by concetta
    I am old. Married 4 years. Never pregnant. Never used birth control. Always had regular periods, except last year when my one of my periods took 38 days to come.

Currently, it's been 42 days since my last period. My breasts are tender and swollen a whole cup size. I am constipated beyond belief (I'm a health nut who had regular bowel movements). I have slight cramping as if my period is about to come on, but each day nothing. And, the cramping is beginning to subside, but still no period. Oh, about 3 weeks ago, I had extremely light spotting for one day only and nothing after.

I am afraid to take the pregnancy test, because I took it last year when I was late and it was negative.

I've always wanted to be pregnant. I all but gave up and never thought about it again.

I am being tortured by these symptoms. Anyway, if I am not pregnant, what else could account for the swollen painful breasts and chronic constipation?

Is it at all possible that early pregnancy signs would mimic menstruation symptoms as well.?

Concetta
    What is your definition of old? As long as you still menstruate, you can get pregnant. It is possible you are starting menopause but I don't know if constipation is one the symptoms. In all of my pregnancies, I had cramping in the beginning because the ligaments are relaxing and stretching to accomodate the expanding uterus.

The only way to know for sure is go buy a pregnancy test.

BTW, I was pregnant 7 years after the doctors told me I could no longer have children. The minute I stopped worrying and dwelling on not being able to have anymore (I was only in my early 30's and had wanted another baby) is when I got pregnant.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Early pregnancy symptoms are very similiar to PMS symptoms, so yes, it is possible, I would take a test because if you are, then you want to start taking your folic acid/prenatal vitamins ASAP and seek prenatal care. I know how depressing those --- tests can be, but it is possible...and even if you see ---'s, I would still see your Dr to confirm you are really negative...with a blood test...&/or check for menopause...my sister just turned 40 and I made her go to the Dr because I suspected she was in menopause and sure enough she is...and he figured she had been for years! She had a partial historectomy quite a long time ago (they left one ovary but took everything else) Goodluck, keep us posted.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
    concetta

concetta HB User

Thanks for your responses. I'm 34. All of my gyno exams over the years never suggested any abnormalities. When I asked my gyno why I've never gotten pregnant since beginning sexual intercourse at age 18, she remarked that I've just been "lucky" all these years. The women in my family did not start menopausal symptoms until they were in their early 50's, all of them. I would be the exception, if, in fact, I am beginning menopause early. I've never had surgery of any kind. And pregnancy, like I said, I had stopped believing that I could ever get pregnant after never experiencing it before. It's really depressing me. I can't say anything to my husband because he will get excited and think I am pregnant. I can't tell anyone. I'm the only woman in my family who has never given birth to a child. It sickens me that my body could be playing tricks on me.

That is why I posed the question to those of you have had the experience of being pregnant or going through menopause. But you are right, I should just stop guessing and take the test. I wish I could explain how frightened I am to take that test. I mean, I am having nightmares about a slew of possibilities. I haven't slept since day 35 of when I started tracking my late period.

Hey, if I am going through menopause, would that also mimic menstruation, i.e. tender breasts, cramping, etc.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Could I Be Pregnant??

I don't think you are going through menopause. Have you felt moody lately. Like you want to cry, about everything? Sore breasts, no period, cramping and spotting are all signs of pregnancy my dear. The spotting is called implantation bleeding, that's when baby implants itself in a nice spot in your uterus to get comfy for a long stay.

Where I live there are dollar stores where everything is a dollar, even pregnancy tests. You will however need a dixie cup or something to catch the urine in, as the cheap ones don't come with cups. To tell you the truth I don't think it is worth $15 to buy a test that comes with a cup when I can get one for a dollar without a cup.

Here's some tips for telling hubby after you find out you are prego:
    1: Make a meal of baby everything (baby carrots, baby back ribs etc.) Play a music tape all night that have to do with baby's (baby baby by Amy Grant, keepin my baby by madonna etc.) Rent birth related movies (Nine Months, Junior, She's Having a Baby, etc.) and make him guess what the theme is all about. Mention you can't drink right now, and sushi's definitely not an option for dinner. When he still doesn't figure it out bring out a cake announcing the news.

2: Ask your church to play "Happy congatulations to you", set to the music of "Happy birthday", after service. During the singing have someone bring out a "Congatulations" cake with 1 candle on it and baby decorations. Give him a "present", the HPT wrapped in congatulations or happy birthday paper.

3: Decorate his car at work, while he is working, with a ton of pink and blue helium balloons attached to the outside and inside. Write on the windshields with shoe polish "I'm a daddy!" and hang "baby on board" signs in the windows. But make sure you stick around to see the look on his face

4: Give him a card written in chalk and write "to you..." on the front and on the inside write "Daddy" with the HPT taped inside.

5:Wake him up at 2:AM and tell him he needs to get used to waking up in the middle of the night since he is about to be a daddy.

6: Give him a teddy bear wearing a "I love daddy" bib and holding the HPT.

7: Put some baby stickers on a plain frames with a wide border. Then write a note on the inside of the frame. Put it in a box and write on the box 'open immediately.' When he opens it tell him you will have a picture for him to put inside the frame in about nine months.

8: Try playing charades, see if he can guess.

Any body else have any suggestions?

Old 09-27-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
    Smile Re: Could I Be Pregnant??

I've had two children, and if you're breasts have been tender for more than two weeks, there's a good possibility that you're pregnant. Yes, early pregnancy does mimic PMS, with the cramping, moodiness, etc. I had absolutely horrible cramps when I was two weeks late for my period; not suspecting pregnancy at all because like you; I'd all but given up hoping for my 2nd baby. I was indeed pregnant and it's a good thing I didn't know I was during the bad cramps or I would have lost my mind with worry that I was losing the baby. My doctor said that it was quite normal though and I gave birth to an almost 10lb baby boy who arrived two weeks later than his due date.

So I'd say, put yourself out of misery and go buy the test. You have nothing to lose and at least you'll put your mind at ease. You might even call your doctor and make an appointment to get a thorough exam anyway. At age 34, you are far from being old so don't let the thought of having a baby in your 30's seem like something to be embarrased about. I had my baby when I was almost 33 and that was 17 years ago and I didn't think anything about the age thing. In fact, I felt more capable of being a mom at that age than in my 20's with my first child.

Best of luck to you and let us know how things turn out.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
    concetta

concetta HB User

Just want to give you all an update of my "could I be pregnant?" dilemma.

Well, I took 4 preg tests by 4 different manufacturers and they all tested positive. IT'S TRUE! I am PREGNANT! I took the tests just days before going on vacation and told my husband after dinner on our first night of vacation.

I am back home and will now make an appointment to get preg confirmed with ob/gyn.

I have spotted once since I took the tests and it was after my husband and I made love one morning on vacation. Will I have to stop making love during my pregnancy????

Old 10-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Congratulations!!!

Old 10-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

Aw, that's absolutely wonderful! No, you shouldn't have to stop making love and I had that happen a few times afterwards as well in the first months, but that was me; so make sure you tell your doctor about it. though, just to be safe; and take it easy in that department until you see him.

Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy; you've got so much to look forward to.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #11
    ES~38~MM

ES~38~MM HB User

Congratulations!!! The same thing happened to my DH and his ex-wife. They were married for 12 years, never used any form of birth control, and she never became pregnant. Tests were run on both of them, and came back fine. In the end, she was almost 3 months along before they even found out, when she did get pregnant. Stranger things have happened, I guess! Good luck!

Old 10-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Thats so wonderful congradtulations!!!!! Keep us informed!

Old 10-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #13
    concetta

concetta HB User

Thanks to you all for your congrats. I need all the support I can get, being that this has never happened to me before.

Dianek, I am grateful for your insight and would like to continue to hear your point of view as I move along. It makes it easier for me when I hear that some things I'm going through is what someone else went through and they came through it fine. I need that more than anything. I've read all the horror stories of what could be wrong or might go wrong. Inspiration is what I need right now and I've connected with your combined realistic and positive outlook of the pregnancy experience. I feel like you are holding my hand in sisterhood. Thanks, because I am really excited, but also freaked out about all the changes my body and mind are going through.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #14
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

What a very sweet thing for you to say. Let me know if there's anything else and I'd be glad to give you support. You might introduce yourself to the pregnancy board and you just might find some very common symptoms you're going through with the others. I know, it's a scary time but it's still...at least I think, the most exciting time in a woman's life. Best of luck!

Old 10-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #15
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Congratulations!!! That's great news...wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months! Looking forward to hearing about your journey and hopefully joining you too! Best wishes!

Closed Thread