It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Really Worried Plese Read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2004, 02:17 AM   #1
    katie UK
    (female)

katie UK HB User
    Really Worried Plese Read

Hi,

During the past seven months I have been for two smear/pap tests and both of these came back as an unsatisfactory result! I booked an app for a third test and was told if this comes back unsatisfactory I will need to go to the hospital for a coloscopy!! Is it common to have an unsatisfactory result back twice? I read there is a one in ten chance of this occuring but to happen twice seems really sus to me.

I am a real worrier anyway and am scared to death! My mom some years back had abnomal cells and had to go into hospital to have it seen to and she doesn't smoke,I do fairly heavily at that so I guess I am a very high risk? I am spending all my time worrying about this I am irritable and really scared.I am 30 years old with a 5 year old daughter. I have had a couple of smears before but can't remember having one for quite some time prob 7-8 years.

Any Feedback Appreciated,

Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User
    Re: Really Worried Plese Read

Oh, I didn't see this post before I read your other one. What does "unsatisfactory" mean? Does it mean the Pap smear was unsatisfactory because the sample was taken incorrectly, or does it mean you have dysplasia?

If you have dysplasia, that is caused by the HPV virus, not smoking. Sometimes mild dysplasia goes away on its own, but if not, you HAVE to get the bad cells removed before they progress to cervical cancer.

As I said in my other post, the HPV that causes dysplasia is typically not the HPV that causes warts. Of course, someone could be infected with both kinds.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
    katie UK
    (female)

katie UK HB User

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response,I've had it a couple of times like an itchy red swelling down below and both times it went of it's own accord after a while. My 'unsatisfactory' smear results are due to an insufficient number of cells on the slide,Or so they are telling me, Seems weird to happen twice.

Thanks Kate.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
    kermitjmb

kermitjmb HB User
    Arrow Re: Really Worried Plese Read

I have had the same results 3 times. I had no dysplasia, they just never got the right amount of cells on the pap smear. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katie UK
    Hi,

My 'unsatisfactory' smear results are due to an insufficient number of cells on the slide,Or so they are telling me, Seems weird to happen twice.

Thanks Kate.
    Then the problem was with the person taking the sample, not you. I'd have someone else do my next one if I was you.

(And no going 8 years between Pap smears! That's enough time for you to develop invasive cervical cancer.)

Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
    katie UK
    (female)

katie UK HB User

I know yeah, Still pretty worried! I've got my 3rd smear test in around ten days so I will try to stay calm and relaxed till I get the results,Then worry if need be.

Thanks.

Closed Thread