It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
    redsunrise

redsunrise HB User
    Post Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Hey everyone!
    About a month 1/2 ago I experienced sudden, severe pain in my pelvic region, mainly on the right side. It was so bad I almost went to the ER. Anyways, long story short-I believe it was a ruptured ovarian cyst. I've read all the symptoms and had every one of them, so I don't doubt that's what it was.
    My problem is that it took a while to get into the Dr. and when I did get in (it was my first OBGYN appt.) I was pretty shocked and dissappointed. She was nice and all, but I thought she would at least examine me and possible do an ultrasound to rule anything else out, or even more cysts,etc. But all she did was ask a couple Q's, and then told me that it sounded like a ruptured cyst. She said since it had been a while since that happened and I wasn't in too much pain anymore (4 weeks later!) that I should be okay and she didn't see the need for an exam or ultrasound. Then prescribed me BC pills (I am reluctant to take them), and sent me on my way.
    Am I wrong to be dissappointed that she didn't do more to help me or to even examine me to rule anything else out?! I have felt somewhat better since then but did have another sudden pain (not as severe, but sharp) in same area (low R pelvic area). I am just worried that either the one had ruptured and I may have another cyst, or something else happening. ??? Any ideas would be appreciated or advice. I have never had any problems with periods, pain, etc. before so I am just wondering what to do next. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User
    Re: Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Redsunrise,

I had the very same thing happen to me about 7 years ago. I was at my boyfriend's apartment when all of a sudden I was in a tremendous amount of pain. Now, I can tolerate pain VERY well, but that pain had me in tears. I did go to the ER, and they did some tests and x-rays. When they examined the x-rays, the ER doctor told me that it was probably a ruptured ovarian cyst. Then he showed me the x-rays and where the cyst had ruptured. The x-ray was really cloudy around my pelvic region and lower stomach area. He said the cloudiness indicates the fluid that came out of the cyst, and the fluid was floating around in my body. He told me that my body would absorb the fluid. I went to my OBGYN about a month later for my annual visit and told him what happened. He basically said the same thing your doctor said. Evidently it is not a rare thing for cysts like that to form and rupture. I haven't had it happen since. No problems with periods, pain, etc, just like you. I guess it's just one of those "things" that happens. I would be more concerned if it happened on a more regular basis. Most definitely if it keeps happening, I would have your doctor do further testing.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
    redsunrise

redsunrise HB User
    Talking Re: Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Thanks for responding! I'm glad to hear you haven't had any other problems since your ER trip. I am doing better so hopefully it will never happen again! Like you, I have a high pain tolerance but that pain had me in tears as well. Did you ever get prescribed and meds for yours (for pain/reduce risk of infection, or BC pills)? I really don't want to take the Estrostep pills she prescribed me because I have heard a lot of "horror" stories of women taking BC Pills,etc. Has anyone ever been on Estrostep that could tell me their experiences with it? Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User

No, I never got any meds from the ER when I left there nor from my OBGYN when I told him about it.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
    Rms11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rms11 HB User

I had the same thing happen about a year ago. After I had sex, I got this pain so bad in my stomach.... then pain shot up into my shoulder. I went to the ER and was put on morphene imediately, I passed out several times from the pain. After a catscan and some xrays they said I had a ruptured cyst the size of grapefruit. The doctor then stuck a needle into my vagina to see if I was leaking fluid from the cyst or blood. They found out that it was blood and it was not clotting.The cyst was pushed into one of my blood vessels which made it burst and I then started to fill up with blood. I was filled up with blood so badly that I had to have laprascopic surgery right away. They went in took the cyst out and cleaned all of the blood out. My doctor showed me the picture and they were very gross. My liver even had blood all over it. I stayed over in the hospital for one night because I lost so much blood. I left the hospital with some pain killers and a prescription for birth control. My doctor told me that I am prone to cysts and that I really needed to be on the pill. It was a nightmare and I think I can handle any type of pain now.

Last edited by Rms11; 10-28-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
    billsmrs

billsmrs HB User

I have ovarian cysts. They are very painful. Birth control pills however do not seem to control mine. But I guess each person is different.

I think getting an U/S done to confirm that it was a cyst would have put your mind at ease as well confirmed the diagnosis. I am really surprised they didn't do one. Maybe you should call your regular doctor and let them know and see if they want to do a base ultrasound to have so if this ever happens they can compare any future ones to make sure everything is ok.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Old 10-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User

Rms11,

Bless your heart!! You had it bad!! At least you know now that you are prone to these cysts and are taking the necessary steps to help avoid getting another one. I don't know how big the one I had was. Thankfully it hasn't happened again. But that pain....OOOOWEEEE!!!!!!!!! That's a pain I've never ever experienced in all my 33 years of living!!!

Take care!

Old 10-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
    redsunrise

redsunrise HB User
    Talking Re: Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Thanks billsmrs and PBaby for the replies!
    Billsmrs, I hope your pain is getting better, that sounds awful! Yeah I was surprised as well that the OBGYN didn't do an U/S either, but she felt there was no need. Meanwhile I am left wondering what's going on for sure and if there are any other cysts or a one-time "thing". Oh well!!! If it ever happens again I am going to the ER; I know that there they will give me all the proper tests, etc.
    Anyways, hope all is doing better and for those who suffer with cysts-I feel for you!! Anyone take anything that helped the pain and/or recurrence of cysts? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
    lizgrl
    (female)

lizgrl HB User

At this moment I have an ovarian cyst the size of a golf ball. It is really painful but the ER only gave me vicodin and said to wait for it to pop. I wanna know how painful it is to pop and why they did not just remove it if it is so big.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
    namehere2
    (female)

namehere2 HB User

Hey there girls-
    I had a very similar event about two weeks ago. I did end up in the ER, they ended up giving vicodin and morphine. I'm no baby!! I had two babies naturally!! But I couldn't handle that pain. I begged my husband to punch me out. When I did go to the ER, they did a CT scan and a pelvic ultrasound and a vaginal...yahoo. They determined I had a ruptured cyst. Everything was so non-chalant. Which irritated me to no end. They did give a prescription for some vicodin after, but I had no idea about what happened or if I'd come back. I have never been in that much pain in my life....even labor and delivery was a breeze for me. Do any of you know, if it'll happen again or is that "normal" be need drugs for that??? I ended up in the ER two nights in a row. They kept telling me, that it should get better in the next few days. It didn't I was in extreme for three days straight then tolerable pain for the next 4 days. Let me know your thoughts, please!
    Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
    countrysummer81
    (female)

countrysummer81 HB User

Can larger cysts cause bowel problems? I've suspected I've had a cyst for awhile and can now feel something in me. I'm going to the doc soon, but was wondering if they can affect your bowels if they get big.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
    windorabug5
    (female)

windorabug5 HB User

Hi everyone, I have cysts that form and burst almost monthly now. I had my first cysts burst over a year ago and then maybe every 3rd month after that but within the last 4 months they have been occuring/bursting every month. It is very painful, actually the pain seems to be getting worse which is why I searched out a message board to try to talk to actual people who have experienced this. My OGBYN has my treatment as "pain modification". Basically she gave me anti-inflamitory pills to take when the pain occurs: Naporsin (may not be spelled exactly right) or Anaprox. They usually do the job quite well, you can take these and not worry about getting drowsy or anything, they just numb the pain. But I will say for me that this last time-last week- the meds did not control the pain. I am wondering if the fact that I am starting to get them so often is affecting how painful they are? Also I was wondering if anyone else gets them as frequently as I do? And has anyone else noticed that they get heart burn along with the cysts too? I think maybe since the fluid floats around in the body when the cysts burst that I may have heart burn from it??? I don't know, I just never had heart burn before and it seems to come when the pain comes! So I guess I am looking to hear that I am not the only one who gets them so often...Thanks for any comfort or advise anyone has!!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
    jjcbursell
    (female)

jjcbursell HB User

Yesterday morning I was at work and suddenly I had a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I broke out in a sweat and became very dizzy. I was shaking so bad I could not stand up. This went on for about a half hour and would not go away. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and was seen by an OBGYN Dr. I was given an ultrasound and was told I had a cyst the size of a grapefruit and it had to be removed due to it had ruptured and fluid was filling up inside me. They did the surgery within the hour. After surgery I was told they had to take my left ovaries due to it had grown and taken over the whole side. She used a scope to remove the cyst. It had to be broken up to remove it as it was so large. She said it was pushing on my bladder because it was so big, the fluid was blood and had filled up my lower abdomen. I was questioning the urgency of doing surgery right now and not putting it off, as I am leaving for Disney world next week. She said there would be no Disney World if I did not do the surgery. I had no previous symptons or any unusual pain during my periods. I went home that night. If your dr ever tells you they need to do surgery do it. It has been less than 24 hours and I have no pain. I am walking around and doing my normal schedule. They did send me home with meds but I haven't needed to take them. PS. I am leaving for Disney World this week and she has no qualms about me going. She said If I had not done the surgery, I would have ended up doing it in Orlando. If you ever get to the point I was at, please seek medical attenion.

Last edited by jjcbursell; 09-30-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #14
    jjcbursell
    (female)

jjcbursell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by countrysummer81
    Can larger cysts cause bowel problems? I've suspected I've had a cyst for awhile and can now feel something in me. I'm going to the doc soon, but was wondering if they can affect your bowels if they get big.
    My Doctor told me it can affect your bladder and your bowels. Please see your Dr ASAP

Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
    ho0olly
    (male)

ho0olly HB User

yes bad bad heart burn.. My tummu feels like a tar pit..I just went to the doc yesterday for my 2 cyst.. This time i have alot more pain in my hip..Im scared now my aunt went to the ER 2 days ago bad pain and they found a tumor the size of a watermellon from what they think started as an oviarian cyst she is getting it out at 7 am tomorrow..Mine ruptured a week ago yet I still feel like I have one and the tech who did my Ultrasound said I do have one so now what I have more then one? I have to wait to see the doc next week how can you have it ruptured and yet still have one I dont get it and HATE how they think its all ok just get over it IM IN PAIN!!!

Closed Thread