It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Morbid pain during periods (among other torturous effects of my cycle)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Morbid pain during periods (among other torturous effects of my cycle)

For a little over a year now, I've been having sickeningly painful periods...on ONLY the first day of my cycle, I experience horrible cramps that I have always described as feeling like "giving birth to the anti-Christ", as well as dizziness, headaches, hot flashes, sweating followed shortly after by chills, nausea, and rarely vomiting. I'm a huge mess on the first day.

A couple of years back, my periods were fine...the only thing I ever got with my period was the inevitable bleeding. And they came regularly...but then they began to come every other month, and then every 2 months. And then in the beginning of last year I missed it completely for 4 months. I was not pregnant, on birth control, under stress, changing my diet, etc. I did nothing differently during the times when my cycle changed.

It was when i got my period again in June I began to feel those torturous cramps. Before that point I never felt any pain of even the tiniest degree before, during, or after my period.

Also, I believe my periods became heavier when the cramps began.

I've been on birth control (the pill) for almost 3 months. My first period on it was a little lighter than usual with cramps spread over the course of my entire period. But it was a pain so subtle that I hardly noticed it. The most recent one I had (last month) was about the same flow as a normal period, only it lasted an extra day. And with last month's cycle my cramps returned.

I know I have posted on here about things like endo, PID, ovarian cysts, etc. etc. And I know painful, heavy periods are not life-threatening, but the pain gets so bad that I cannot even concentrate in school. I'm not one to stay home either...heck I went to school when I had the flu for 2 weeks! But no amount or combination of Motrin, Tylenol, Midol, or any other painkillers aids in alleviating my cramps, and they last between 5 and 6 hours every month.

Ladies, have any of you had any experiences with bad monthly cramping? And if so, what did you do about it?

I ask now only because my period is going to be here within the next 24 hours and between pelvic pain and intense sinus headaches, I don't know if I can handle cramps too. I'm just wondering what could have caused them in the first place and why they continue to torment me after over a year.

Any help with this matter would be appreciated beyond belief.

Dark Stranger - wishes the pill would help with her cramps like it promises to on the box O.o

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User
    Re: Morbid pain during periods (among other torturous effects of my cycle)

Ya I kinda found out the box lies. I went on the pill back in june and my cramps are just now starting to get lighter the only thing now though is that on the first day of my period I get horrible back pain. Other than taking mitol and using a heating pad Im not sure it there is to much you can do for them but I have heard that long hot baths, and a 30 min walk helps with cramping. Also make sure you avoid caffenee because that makes cramps worse. Good luck to you!!!!

Closed Thread